F - Nib Variations.

Dorf

Hello! I have two fountain pens. One Ultra Black classique with F nib, and one 149 Platinum also with F nib. I have now tested my new 149 for a while, and I've noticed that the nib seems quite different than the Ultra Black nib. The shift from the U.B is more dense and looks more like marker shift. The nib on my 149 is a bit more scratchy, dry, and it seems like it's coming less ink out. I suppose this is more like how a F nib is supposed to be. Is it normal that two nibs with similar size, can vary that much?

http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b542/oslo-fjord/20170607_220106-1_zps1s2sqt9z.jpg

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dorf

• meiers

• Tom Kellie

• A1979

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

~ Dorf:

Thank you so much for the handwriting sample which clearly illustrates the difference.

Your description combined with the image brings alive the nib differences.

Are the nib tines aligned alike, or differently?

Various FPN members have noted that when they purchase new pens they've found the tines to be misaligned, from their perspective.

After obtaining assistance they've had the tines aligned so as to adjust ink flow to suit their preferences, whether as more wet writers or otherwise.

I once bought a Classique with an F nib which I exchanged for a wonderful EF nib which is one of my better writers.

The original F nib wrote strikingly like your Ultra Black F nib, as shown above.

I hope that the nibs will meet your preferences, as they're truly excellent pens.

If they don't yet fit your needs, it might be best to seek further assistance from an authorized boutique, or a professional nibmeister.

Again, many thanks for posting the handwriting sample.

Others with more experience may have better ideas as to how to address your question.

Tom K.

Edited by Tom Kellie

I agree with zaddick.

Montblanc can and will service that nib if it is scratchy by adjusting it for more ink flow. You can also ask them to replace or exchange the nib.

Tom's advice is very good.

Edited by meiers

~ Dorf:

Thank you so much for the handwriting sample which clearly illustrates the difference.

Your description combined with the image brings alive the nib differences.

Are the nib tines aligned alike, or differently?

Various FPN members have noted that when they purchase new pens they've found the tines to be misaligned, from their perspective.

After obtaining assistance they've had the tines aligned so as to adjust ink flow to suit their preferences, whether as more wet writers or otherwise.

I once bought a Classique with an F nib which I exchanged for a wonderful EF nib which is one of my better writers.

The original F nib wrote strikingly like your Ultra Black F nib, as shown above.

I hope that the nibs will meet your preferences, as they're truly excellent pens.

If they don't yet fit your needs, it might be best to seek further assistance from an authorized boutique, or a professional nibmeister.

Again, many thanks for posting the handwriting sample.

Others with more experience may have better ideas as to how to address your question.

Tom K.

Assuming both nibs are ok, you also have to keep in mind that all pens are finished by hand, there can be a great amount of variation between pens... All my pens are mediums, and not two have the same width of line.

Yup, normal, but scratchy us not.

I agree with zaddick.

Montblanc can and will service that nib if it is scratchy by adjusting it for more ink flow. You can also ask them to replace or exchange the nib.

Tom's advice is very good.

Thanks guys. The ink flow on the 149 is just perfect. The width is also better than the Ultra Black, which for me looks more like a Medium. My concern is that it's a bit more sharp in the edges, gives a more scratchy sound and feel, and not so smooth as the Ultra Black nib. -But I suppose it has to be this way as long as the nib (probably) is thinner, and more like a F nib should be.

Do you have a magnifying glass or loop to check the alignment. Of flow is fine the tines might be a bit off. This would be more noticeable when writing with a thinner nib.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I have the ultra black also, medium nib. First thing I noticed, I mean absolute first thing I noticed, was that there was more feedback on this nib than any of my other dozens of MBs. Grabbing three loops for closer inspection, nothing was misaligned. It just has more feedback than my other nibs.

I even had Mike Masuyama look at the Ultra Black nib at the LA Pen Show. He said it was perfectly aligned. It is not scratchy, just a hit more feedback than I'm accustomed to with MB. If I was blindfolded and handed all the nibs in my pen collection, I would be able to tell the UB nib apart right away. Now I rather admire it as it adds to its uniqueness within a sea of steel and gold nibs.

In regards to variation of your lines: Most of the MBs in my collection are medium. Not a single one has the same width. Very very close. None exact. Only had one outlier. The Blue Hour I picked up earlier this year was a gusher and the line was a super juicy fat broad even with a pen marked as a medium. Ended up doing the exchange and found the BB to be more suitable for my daily needs

Edited by 888007888

Do you have a magnifying glass or loop to check the alignment. Of flow is fine the tines might be a bit off. This would be more noticeable when writing with a thinner nib.

I think the nib is honed with sharper edges. Thats all :)

Edited by Dorf

~ zaddick and Dorf:

Yes, what zaddick's explained is very true.

I've had six Montblanc EF nibs, and have retained three of them, the others having been nib exchanged for BB and OBBB nibs.

All six EFs had the tines fine tuned by Montblanc technicians in order to achieve balance.

They told me through the boutique staff that four of the six had perceptible tine maladjustment, which they fixed.

The bespoke EEF has perfect alignment. I was told that they worked on that for a couple of days before sending it from Hamburg to Beijing.

It's well worth scrutinizing the tine alignment.

The “tines” are the pointed prongs which constitute the nib, the “nib face” of the tines being what actually touches paper where ink flow occurs.

They're comparable to long teeth coming together at the nib face.

Tom K.

To explane what I mean: when I hold the pen like this and write vertical lines in South direction it is smooth. When I do the same in North direction, it seems more scratchy and sharp. Can this mean that the grinding is sharper on the right side of the nib

~ Dorf:

Yes, that's one possible cause.

There are other possibilities.

Imperfect alignment of the tines, in any direction — up or down, back or forth — on a Fine nib may also cause dragging which feels like scratchiness.

Were it possible to examine your nib through a loupe, the cause might be ascertained.

If at all convenient, this might best be resolved by asking an expert to take a close look at it, to determine if it might be easily fixed.

For such an outstanding pen, you deserve nothing less than full satisfaction.

An F nib has the potential to be a daily writer of distinction.

With a small adjustment, yours might become so.

Tom K.

~ By the way, I love the photo you posted with the nib and the strokes.

Your nib is gorgeous!

The photo is just right for a question concern scratchiness.

Tom K.

~ By the way, I love the photo you posted with the nib and the strokes.

Your nib is gorgeous!

The photo is just right for a question concern scratchiness.

Tom K.

Thanks. Pity, there is no expert here I can ask. I bought the pen in London, and there is no Montblanc store here. There are some retailers, but they don't have a clue about pens...

Your pen is most likely not a scratchy but a dry writer.

If the ink flow is adjusted to "wetter" you will get less or no feedback and a wider line.

There is nothing wrong with your pen, I believe. It's a matter of personal preference.

Your pen is most likely not a scratchy but a dry writer.

If the ink flow is adjusted to "wetter" you will get less or no feedback and a wider line.

There is nothing wrong with your pen, I believe. It's a matter of personal preference.

Ok. I'm not intrested in a wider line, so I think I must just settle down with it.

I suppose my Ultra Black F nib is just very wet and broad. Therefore this big variation. I should have filled up the pen when I was still in the store, and tried it before I left. Well, lesson learned!

Ok. I'm not intrested in a wider line, so I think I must just settle down with it.

I suppose my Ultra Black F nib is just very wet and broad. Therefore this big variation. I should have filled up the pen when I was still in the store, and tried it before I left. Well, lesson learned!

You can have the nib exchanged within six weeks of purchase....

Have you ever tried B nibs?

Edited by meiers

You can have the nib exchanged within six weeks of purchase....

Have you ever tried B nibs?

I have tried it in the store. The F is perfect size for my taste. I think a thin line just looks more elegant. I was therefore very surprised that my new one was so different than my Ultra Black. Do you think it's possible to exchange a F nib with a new F nib, if I explane my "problem"? Or maby they can take a look at it just to get a second opinion? I have sendt a email to Montblanc to hear what they suggest. Edited by Dorf