Looking For Info On A Pilot Pen

buras12

Hi folks,

I've been researching the market for a fountain pen for my daily usage (i'm not a collector) in a $150-250 range. My googling led me to few Japanese sites with these Pilot pens. I can't find their proper English names, so the only thing that i know about them is that they are pretty stunning to me. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

David

61PKhCbHpRL._SL1000_.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• buras12

• AL01

• ehemem

• Chrissy

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it has an English name. I translated the name to Hiragana... Hirakama didn't work either.

But I don't speak or read no Japanese...

Try the Japanese name on the Pirate Bay.

Could work out.

(Hirakami doesn't work either. This pen looks real interestin'. Use Chrome and translate the page. Could help out with reviews. You can buy these items on the US amazon page.)

https://www.amazon.com/PILOT-%E5%B9%B3%E8%92%94%E7%B5%B5-%E4%B8%87%E5%B9%B4%E7%AD%86-%E4%B8%83%E5%AE%9D-%E7%B4%B0%E5%AD%97/dp/B0042957LC/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1496840450&sr=8-6&keywords=pilot+FD-3MP

- US page. Remove co.jp and replace with .com .

EDIT: This pen is $ 222.15 ...

Edited by AL01

Thank you.

Lookin' at 150 - 250 range...

Do ya have any other options?

Looks nice. I have no knowledge, but a coworker Korean lady, who speaks everything, thinks Hirakana indicates a "lady's pen". $200 is significant money. What do you currently use for daily writing ? Would this be your first fountain pen ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I've used fountain pens on and off since the 3rd grade (cheap ones back then). I am currently using a battered Waterman Hemisphere that i got as a present more than 10 years back. I have a computer job, but still take quite a lot of notes.

I love the idea of an inlaid nib.The pen i've been looking at primarily is Waterman Carene. Its price fluctuates pretty wildly based on the trim, but the less fancier ones are well within the budget. I really like the 70'ies Pilot Custom design, but i am reluctant to buy such an old pen for a daily use. I love the nib of Pilot Elite 95s, but am not crazy on the design as a whole. Pilot Silvern would be ideal, but it is way too expensive to reasonably justify.

I love the idea of an inlaid nib... I really like the 70'ies Pilot Custom design, but i am reluctant to buy such an old pen for a daily use.

I have a Pilot Custom black stripe stainless steel fine point that was purchased as a user-grade pen many years ago and it has been in daily use since then with little maintenance other than getting refilled when it runs dry and wiped down with a damp cloth now and again. I have other Customs which I purchased NOS, but I have not really been tempted to put them into rotation. If you are really interested in this model, I would recommend looking for a Japanese seller on e-bay. You should be able to buy one or win one at auction well within your price constraints...

I have a Pilot Custom black stripe stainless steel fine point that was purchased as a user-grade pen many years ago and it has been in daily use since then with little maintenance other than getting refilled when it runs dry and wiped down with a damp cloth now and again. I have other Customs which I purchased NOS, but I have not really been tempted to put them into rotation. If you are really interested in this model, I would recommend looking for a Japanese seller on e-bay. You should be able to buy one or win one at auction well within your price constraints...

Thanks. I will consider it. Love the looks of the pen

Heyheyheyehey... Ya like Sheaffer inlaid nibs?

Not crazy about them. Pilot designs are my favorite (judging only by the pictures)

Ok.

Inlaid nibs are interestin'.

Sheaffer and Pilot seem to kick butt at them.

If you get the chance to go to a pen shop, try out some Pilot and Sheaffer inlaid nibs.

I personally prefer Sheaffer, but the vintage inlaid nib pens are made out of polystyrene. that plastic has scared me ever since I started to use pens in 2010...

( Try the Silvern/ Elite 95s, [nibs are of comparable quality], and Sheaffer Legacy Heritage, [in your range as a used pen - but they are Sheaffer's '149'. They are newer pens... Fantastic build quality and plastic.])

Ok.

Inlaid nibs are interestin'.

Sheaffer and Pilot seem to kick butt at them.

If you get the chance to go to a pen shop, try out some Pilot and Sheaffer inlaid nibs.

I personally prefer Sheaffer, but the vintage inlaid nib pens are made out of polystyrene. that plastic has scared me ever since I started to use pens in 2010...

( Try the Silvern/ Elite 95s, [nibs are of comparable quality], and Sheaffer Legacy Heritage, [in your range as a used pen - but they are Sheaffer's '149'. They are newer pens... Fantastic build quality and plastic.])

Unfortunately, a pen shop is not an option. I live in Israel and though there are few shops around, they are so expensive, that i have no intention of buying there. I will order online i don't feel comfortable using the shops as an exhibition hall.

I have the middle pen pictured. Very good pen. Great writer. Bought during last years Japan sojourn at department store in Tokyo. It is NOT an inlaid nib and definitely not polystyrene.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

I have the middle pen pictured. Very good pen. Great writer. Bought during last years Japan sojourn at department store in Tokyo. It is NOT an inlaid nib and definitely not polystyrene.

Oh, great to hear. Is the finish sturdy enough for a daily use?

I know it's not inlaid, but i just loved the minimalist Japanese design

Funny thing about lacquer. It protects the pen.

Now if you want a pen that looks brand-spanking new after ten years of hard use, I suggest you go elsewhere. Writing instruments do show wear when they are used. If your question is, "Is the pen reasonably durable?" the answer is yes.

Pens are designed for everyday use and with that use comes wear. Whether a pen should wear more than others or the level of wear does not meet our often misplaced notions of durability is open to debate.

Just go for it. If it doesn't work for you, buy another pen.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

> I can't find their proper English names

They don't even have proper Japanese names. LINK

"Hira maki-e (flat maki-e)" is the group name, followed by the description of the pen

青海波 blue sea wave pattern
桜立涌 cherry blossom pattern
七宝 cloisonne pattern

These are all famous Japanese patterns.

If you want to search for these pens, copy and paste the Japanese name into Google picture search or search for the pen codes from the first picture.

The original price is 30000 Yen without tax but you get them (in Japan) from 22000 Yen (ca 200 USD) already LINK.

https://www.amazon.com/PILOT-DELUXE-Urushi-Black-nib/dp/B001AX7T0A

$ 101.66 ain't too bad. Have you looked at the Elite 95S? Comparable nib; much cheaper; and made to write for hours on end.

But this pen does look nice. I have just never seen it in real life...

Here's a Review: https://www.reddit.com/r/fountainpens/comments/3pd5on/pilot_deluxe_urushi_review/

I think reviews and pics will help ya out the most. Pilot pens are quite good. So you shouldn't have any surprises...

(IE: Lamy 2000 on the web looks to be bigger than real life.)

I wish you luck with your purchase... Al.