The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Swapping Nibs- Cleaning And Storing

lamy nibs cleaning storing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 InkyPoetess

InkyPoetess

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 June 2017 - 00:46

Hi all!

Total newb question, but one of the main selling points on my Safari Petrol was the ability to explore different nibs without having to buy a new pen. Now that I have a second nib, how do I clean and store the one that is currently on my pen? (I will probably switch the nib out while the pen is still inked, using the tape trick in the Goulet video.)

My first thought was to soak it for about 5 minutes in distilled water then wipe it off with a paper towel, but will this damage the black finish or otherwise harm my nib? Is there a better way of doing it?

Thanks!

Sponsored Content

#2 bayindirh

bayindirh

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 June 2017 - 12:32

Hi,

Welcome to the world of Lamy. Hope you like the pens, the philosophy behind it, and fountain pens in general. :)

The black coating on the black nibs is not a "coating" per se. The metal is blackened, not painted, hence, not removable. On the other hand, nibs of all kinds of metals love and need to be treated nicely and gently. Generally distilled water is not necessary. Bottled drinking water, or tap water if it's drinkable, is fine. Hold the nib from pen end, not the tip, hold under lukewarm running water for ~5-10 seconds, put on a folded (for thickness) paper tissue for 5 minutes and store in a box with a small bag of silica gel.

This will hold it nice and dry. If you can get a 5-pack nib box from a lamy dealer that'll be enough. When you have more nibs, you can store them in compartmented hobby or jewelery boxes.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Hakan

Edited by bayindirh, 07 June 2017 - 12:33.

#3 InkyPoetess

InkyPoetess

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2017 - 00:40

Thanks! I followed your instructions and my nib is now nice and clean and safely stored away!

#4 bayindirh

bayindirh

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:20

Thanks! I followed your instructions and my nib is now nice and clean and safely stored away!

You're welcome! Enjoy your Lamy and the journey!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lamy, nibs, cleaning, storing

Sponsored Content

|