• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• meiers

• Dorf

• Nicholas Green

• Pen Nut

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It went very well. The pen hadn't leaked a drop! Before departure I filled up the pen, but not completely full (it seems difficult to fill the 149 100% full), and I stored the pen in vertical position in my bag. No problem at all ;)

It went very well. The pen hadn't leaked a drop! Before departure I filled up the pen, but not completely full (it seems difficult to fill the 149 100% full), and I stored the pen in vertical position in my bag. No problem at all ;)

~ Dorf:

That's great news!

I'm glad that the pen performed well by doing nothing.

Thank you for letting us know.

Tom K.

• 3 weeks later...

This topic was discussed when I visited the MB Factory earlier this week.

As stated previously, it is the air expanding which would cause ink to leave a pen. Therefore the less air (and therefore more ink) you have in the pen during a flight the less ink will be pushed out of the pen during the flight due to the air expanding.

I'd never really thought about the feed at the back of the nib before the factory tour. The main (more obvious) reason it has groves is to channel ink from the pen to the nib - thus enabling you to write with it.

It also has a secondary purpose which helps reduce leakage due to air expansion. During the flight ink which be pushed out of the pen will be collected in the feeds' groves. Then when the pressure falls and the air contracts and the ink will be sucked back into the pen (from these groves). If there were not any groves the ink would have nowhere to be collected which would prevent it from being sucked back into the pen..

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

Slightly off topic but I also own and have owned quite a few Waterman Edson fountain pens (sorry) and I seem to recall there was a pushed selling point that the Edson was unaffected by altitude. Never tested any so whether this was simply an over pushed bit of selling I cant say. If I find out why the Edson was leak proof during flight i will add to the thread.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

and from our very own home I found this :

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/43430-is-it-true-that-waterman-edson-is-design-to-never-leak-on-a-plane/

Elsewhere :

Waterman Edson Pens

Legendary design at any altitude

Edson is considered by many to be the pinnacle of pen design. Novelist Douglas Kennedy calls it “the writer’s Ferrari”. Immortalizing the name of Waterman's founder, Lewis Edson Waterman, the Edson has also gained iconic status through its enviable reliability. Even at altitude, the ink flow is perfectly regulated. Definitely for great thinkers and high flyers.

• Iconic pen design for high-quality writing
  • Airplane-safe: won't leak in flight
  • Available as a fountain pen, rollerball, or ballpoint
Edited by Pen Nut

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

I recently took a flight that was really rough and there was eardrum blowing changes in pressure the entire fight. My Legrand was in my shirt pocket and did not leak a drop. This was a short (thank god) domestic flight so I don't know if it would leak on a long high altitude flight or not

All modern jet aircraft are pressurized to the same level regardless of being domestic or international. For passengers they have to maintain at least a 10,000' cabin altitude (I believe the 787 can do 8,000') so pretty much as long as you are off the ground, the cabin pressure level is the same on any flight.

The reason why the waterman Edson claims to be leak resistant at all altitudes, is due to the elaborate design of it's compensator.

Besides the large compensator, which can absorb excess ink, it has a very large cavity below the nib itself with a breather hole. This cavity feeds two smaller cavities which then feed the nib from below through two small holes.

If you look at the picture that I've posted, take note of the hole that's visible in the part of the section that fits underneath the nib. There are two of these holes, and they allow the nib to be fed from the cavity below, when an internal overflow occurs.

The pen by design is able to "catch" an ink overflow, should it occur.

A rather clever design!

post-118467-0-16929800-1498980132_thumb.jpg

Interesting post Nick and thanks for the explanation. Now then beware the Montblancers...........this forum takes compliments of other pen whoops writing instruments very seriously. Helmet on, visor down :)

My collection consists mainly of Montblanc's, I believe people shouldn't be snobbish, but should give credit to exceptional design when its due!

The Edson is the pen that got me into pen collecting, I absolutely love its design!

The second "real" pen that I acquired was a Montblanc 149 and I also absolutely love its design.

I just wish that Montblanc would try to push the engineering boundaries more!

Nowadays they just seem to be making well dressed pens (Gold and precious stones) with no improvement to the technology that actually drives them.

I would love to see Montblanc's interpretation of "The Perfect Pen".

Some of the pen in my collection.

post-118467-0-94257000-1499448119_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nick_Green

The Edson is a perfect fountain pen in every way. I completely agree with you.

Edited by meiers

The Edson is a perfect fountain pen in every way. I completely agree with you.

It's great to see that you also appreciate the Edson, its a really great pen from both a technical and aesthetic point of view!

My love for the Edson doesn't take away from the fact that I really like Montblancs, as they are also great pens!

I happen to have flown with quite a few of my Montblanc's and they don't seem to leak if they're in your shirt pocket.

Edited by Nick_Green

Unlike snakes on an airplane, fountain pens are not particularly dangerous. :lticaptd:

With qualifications, your assessment is correct. Tip the pen "nib-up", well in advance of take-off.

As the plane ascends, outside air pressure decreases. The air inside the ink reservoir expands and escapes through the nib. If there is ink between the air and the nib, the ink is pushed out, making a mess. If the ink in the feed drains back into the reservoir, your assessment is correct.

Which fountain pen is the subject of this inquiry ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I had multiple plights with several fp's without any problems.

I did however pointed them up during traveling.

Nib (re)plating: please visit www.Dutchpen.com

Unlike snakes on an airplane, fountain pens are not particularly dangerous. :lticaptd:

With qualifications, your assessment is correct. Tip the pen "nib-up", well in advance of take-off.

As the plane ascends, outside air pressure decreases. The air inside the ink reservoir expands and escapes through the nib. If there is ink between the air and the nib, the ink is pushed out, making a mess. If the ink in the feed drains back into the reservoir, your assessment is correct.

Which fountain pen is the subject of this inquiry ?

Pens in the Meisterstück line.

The first pen on the right in your pen case is another Waterman. Am I right? I don't recall its name.

You're right, its a Waterman Serenite.

You're right, its a Waterman Serenite.

Another stunning design. Beautiful!!!

Edited by meiers