New Nib Vs New Pen.

sgthammerfist

Hello All!

I have $100 from my mother, and I was hoping to buy a new pen. I have a lamy 2000, and I was thinking about having it nibmeistered into a italic nib. It also needs to be retipped, so the price for this is $155 ( for retipping and grinding) I also wanted to get a pilot custom 74 off Amazon for $80, but I cannot get both.

What would you do? Save up for your current pen and enhance it, or get a whole new pen? I am leaning towards the former, as looking at my slightly messed up lamy 2000 nib gets me irritated. I would really enjoy your advice.

(Note I only have one pen over $100)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tinta

• sgthammerfist

• Driften

• sandy101

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you contact Lamy USA to find out how much for a replacement nib? A replacement nib might be cheaper than a retipping.

Then you can get a larger nib that would be better for turning into an italic nib.

I would fix the L2000. It bugs me when I have a pen sidelined for a problem.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Yeah I'm not so sure about retipping. In my experience the nibmeistered pen is never exactly how I imagined it and it would have been easier to get a new nib or pen altogether. I'm sure others disagree.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

First of all, :W2FPN:

There are only a few re-tippers around, but more nib techs, who do grinds, feeds & tweaks.

I'd first try to get a new (or replacement) nib from the Lamy. You may find that an M or a B nib may be pleasant for you use, as is. These tipping sizes can also be good candidates for customization into edged nibs (stubs, CIs).

It would be worthwhile to fix up the 2000.

If your's would be a pen that takes a screw-in nib unit like JoWo, or Kaweco/Bock (pens like Franklin-Christoph, Edison, Kara, Kaweco........) you could then only get the nib-unit & modify the nibs to your liking.

Hope the above helps.

tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

You aren't going to get any nib work, re-tipping, or new nib for a Lamy 2k for $20 to buy your $80 Pilot 74 unfortunately.

As others have said, I'd suggest fixing your Lamy first - get what you own up to par and then look elsewhere.

I gotta ask - why does it need to be re-tipped? That's a pretty serious issue with an equally serious repair. Are you sure regular nib-work can't fix the issue? You still can't get it worked on and your other pen for the allotted monies, but it'd save you a boatload.

I like ac12's suggestion of seeing if you can get a replacement from Lamy first. You can always grind the replacement later if you want.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Hello All!

I have $100 from my mother, and I was hoping to buy a new pen. I have a lamy 2000, and I was thinking about having it nibmeistered into a italic nib. It also needs to be retipped, so the price for this is $155 ( for retipping and grinding) I also wanted to get a pilot custom 74 off Amazon for $80, but I cannot get both.

What would you do? Save up for your current pen and enhance it, or get a whole new pen? I am leaning towards the former, as looking at my slightly messed up lamy 2000 nib gets me irritated. I would really enjoy your advice.

(Note I only have one pen over $100)

Which nib is on the 2000 now, and why do you think it needs retipping? It could be something else and a simple fix.

Never pass up the opportunity to buy a new pen. A Twsbi Vac 700 is a good option.

Why does my pen need to be retipped?

Well, the other day, I got several jinhaos, and I was smoothing them out, with my baby cousin watching me. Of course, I go to get food with my mother, come back, and almost all of the tipping was taken off the Lamy. He found it on my desk, and he had other pens next to him, ready to 'smooth' . But, the Lamy was in terrible condition. I mean, there is less than a millimeter of tipping, thanks to my cousin.

Even worse, he used the roughest grit I had on my desk, and now the nib writes terribly.

It was probably a bad idea to leave my pens on the desk. I screwed up pretty bad ;/

-Keith

Edited by sgthammerfist

Why does my pen need to be retipped?

Well, the other day, I got several jinhaos, and I was smoothing them out, with my baby cousin watching me. Of course, I go to get food with my mother, come back, and almost all of the tipping was taken off the Lamy. He found it on my desk, and he had other pens next to him, ready to 'smooth' . But, the Lamy was in terrible condition. I mean, there is less than a millimeter of tipping, thanks to my cousin.

Even worse, he used the roughest grit I had on my desk, and now the nib writes terribly.

It was probably a bad idea to leave my pens on the desk. I screwed up pretty bad ;/

-Keith

I now see your point on a possible re-tipping. Would a new nib from Lamy cost you less than a retip? I don't know. If you also want a special edged nib (stub, CI,..) then the folks that would do the retip could also do a regrind.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)