Sailor Doyou

KellyMcJ

Folks should remember that Sailor originally had only eight inks in the Four Seasons line. Last year they first brought back Rikyu-cha, Chu-shu, Kin-mokusei, etc. So right now there are sixteen Four Seasons inks. The re-issue of Epinard, Sky High, Grenade, etc. are actually not part of the Four Seasons line, they are labeled simply as Sailor Jentle.

So it is possible that Sailor could phase out the Do-you, etc members of the Four Seasons line. But, a number of Japanese web sites list the new Four Seasons additions as "limited edition", which is not how they've been described by retailers here. So I think the Magic Eight Ball would say the future is cloudy, we just don't know. Now if Sailor reps make statements/announcements at the DC Pen Show that's another matter.

btw, Sailor does have an extensive line of inks. They just happen to be called Kobe Nagasawa, Bungbox, Kingdom Note. :lol:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KellyMcJ

• Cyber6

• A Smug Dill

• ksm

Doyou is indeed a fine ink. And accepting your notation that YMMV, I'll mention that I have not experienced any nib creep.

btw, Sailor does have an extensive line of inks. They just happen to be called Kobe Nagasawa, Bungbox, Kingdom Note. :lol:

Actually.... Kobe has an extensive line of inks, which is manufactured by Sailor. :lol: :lol:

Splitting hairs... but is true.. ;)

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

I'm waiting as patiently as I can for my bottle of Doyou to arrive (ordered on 16th May, perhaps another week or two, it's difficult). I wish I had ordered two. Brown-grey is my favourite colour. I didn't know it would be water-resistant - that will make it a great sketching ink - so much more subtle under watercolour than black or a cold grey. I wish I had ordered six...

Will work for pens... :unsure:

Great review! A very impressive ink...so now I have a bottle on order too.

Doyou is a fantastic ink, and is the secret weapon used when you need to remove the stains on a demonstrator. You should keep a backup bottle of this jewel. ;)

Can you please elaborate on this or point me to a thread where this was discussed? I have a soft spot for demonstrators and would love to keep their clarity.

the economical penster - celebrating inexpensive pens!

Great review, this ink looks like Iroshizuku's Yama Guri to me, which I use and really like.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Can you please elaborate on this or point me to a thread where this was discussed? I have a soft spot for demonstrators and would love to keep their clarity.

Not that I've tried it myself, but apparently some inks (Doyou is one of them) are able to get tough stains out of converters and clear piston barrels. It has something to do with the inks' high lubrication.

Check out the links below:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/271511-sailor-jentle-ink-doyou-mid-summer-review/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/297645-whats-your-cleaner-ink/

i enjoy my sailor do-you. i think it is a formal brown enough for everyday writing at work.

-rudy-

• 1 month later...

Ah I see Photobucket broke this review. :(

Anyway, here is a comparison of this ink in two different nibs, in the same pen. I swapped nib units in my Edison (this medium nib is an absolute joy!) and kept the same ink...

http://i.imgur.com/0t6gNb6.jpg

I am looking for a better drawing ink, I use a simple Pilot black ink with my TWSBI Vac 700R. Any suggestion?

I am looking for a better drawing ink, I use a simple Pilot black ink with my TWSBI Vac 700R. Any suggestion?

You'll not go far wrong with this gem. A defo "must have" in your armoury.

Definitely only notice the color in broader pens. I think I'm skipping this color, and I do love my sailor inks. I still prefer rikyu-cha and tokiwa matsu, the green/browns with heavy red sheen.

Now, if only they'd put bungbox stuff into an actual nice bottle, again I might start buying some.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• 2 months later...

I recently placed an order for Doyou, and I was wondering if it is true that they are discontinuing it?

I haven't tried it out yet, but if it's anything like the previous jentle ink I have tried and close to the photos I have seen then I would be sad to see it go... and would possibly be inclined to stock up on another bottle if need be.

• 2 years later...

I recently placed an order for Doyou, and I was wondering if it is true that they are discontinuing it?

I haven't tried it out yet, but if it's anything like the previous jentle ink I have tried and close to the photos I have seen then I would be sad to see it go... and would possibly be inclined to stock up on another bottle if need be.

apparently just a giant price increase

apparently just a giant price increase

None of the sixteen colours (including doyou) in the Shikisai range of Sailor Jentle inks are being discontinued. After "rebranding" last year, they are now part of the lineup of Sailor Shikiori inks (currently numbering twenty in all) and sold in 20ml bottles, whereas the other colours of Jentle dye-based inks ("basic" black, blue-black, blue, red, etc.) have simply lost the "Jentle" label and now just Sailor Black ink, Sailor Blue-Black ink, etc.

I don't think IndigoBOB or anyone else will have trouble sourcing more of doyou, yamadori, etc. any time soon, as long as they're prepared to pay Sailor's asking price.

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I don't think IndigoBOB or anyone else will have trouble sourcing more of doyou, yamadori, etc. any time soon, as long as they're prepared to pay Sailor's asking price.

which is the thorn on the whole issue , those price literally go up exponentially

which is the thorn on the whole issue , those price literally go up exponentially

Only if you want to see it that way for yourself.

Sailor Shikiori yonaga was never offered as a colour in the Jentle product line and/or in 50ml bottles. I like it enough to to buy more than one 20ml bottle of it. If I enjoy doyou or kinmokusei equally as much, then there is no rational reason why I would balk at paying the same per-ml price now to acquire more if/when I want the ink.

The terms (including but not limited to price) on/for which something could have been acquired, once upon a time, is not an ongoing right. Australia Post's domestic postage prices will go up (again) in a few days — to $1.10 minimum, when I still have books of stamps (which I personally bought) that remind me it used to only cost $0.43. I could have bought a Pilot Capless raden Vanishing Point in the "water surface" pattern (with long but sparse stripes) for ~A$400, when I first dived headlong into the hobby, but chose not to at the time; it'd be easily double that now if I want to buy one. The "fault" of missing the opportunity is mine, and not in someone else somehow taking the opportunity away from me, without consultation or advance warning, and leaving me powerless to painlessly remedy a poor decision (in retrospect) not to throw discretionary spending at something when I had the chance.

Equally, I have a stash of 50ml bottles of Sailor "Jentle Shikisai" yamadori and rikyucha here, which I probably won't end up using (between my wife and I) for writing or other applications of fountain pens ourselves. That's money wasted, because I chose to stock up.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.