Recommendations For Under $100

MHBru

Ok I will admit that I may have spoiled myself a bit. My first fountain pen was a Pelikan M800 and so was my second. Now I am wrestling with the pen demons about a 3rd pen but am not going to spend that much. I am afraid that because my only experience is with these pens that many others will just feel so vastly different that I may not be happy. Having read these pages for some time now I realize than many of you already own a wide variety of brands and styles. My primary use will be for correspondence and note taking.. no calligraphy or fine art. This group has given me great ideas when it has come to paper and ink and trust you'll have some good ideas here as well. Thanks everyone, in advance.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bongo47

• Maurizio

• sandy101

• ink-syringe

Hello MHBru,

Not sure if this is the right forum; so don't be surprised if a mod shifts this to "First Stop."

That said, if you can stomach demonstrators, the TWSBI 580AL, (I have a Classic and really like it), is a popular choice here or try a FC Loom, if you can get past the funky styling.

But both pens are wet writers with really smooth nibs and well under $100... so the demons wouldn't win that much out of you. ;)

- Anthony

EDIT, PS: Until it's broken in, the Loom has a stiff cap... don't buy it if you have RA or "tennis elbow." ;)

Edited by ParkerDuofold

The Loom is an amazing pen. I bought two. The second one went to a friend because I don't need two. It's the first pen I really loved and I use it regularly.

I'm not sure what your budget is (Less than a Pelikan leaves a lot for interpretation) but anything from Edison is sure to impress.

TWSBIs are good- I have one, and never really fell in love with it, but there's no denying it's a great pen.

Pilot, Sailor and Platinum pens all have something of a cult following around here. :) I don't have one (yet).

You're going to have to fill in some preferences, I think. Under a hundred covers many, many pens ranging from low cost Chinese to modern Japanese, with a variety of both modern & vintage, new & used in between.

My go-to suggestions are typically the M200 & the Parker 51 aero, full size or demi, depending on size preference, but since you have a pair of Pels, you're probably not looking for another.

Faber castell including the basic, loom or ambition. (Maybe their emotion and ondoro second hand)

Vintage sheaffer with an inlaid nib such as the 440 or imperial.

Parker 51.

A Pendleton Brown Jinhow or Twsbi off his ebay store.

Faber castell including the basic, loom or ambition. (Maybe their emotion and ondoro second hand)

Vintage sheaffer with an inlaid nib such as the 440 or imperial.

Parker 51.

A Pendleton Brown Jinhow or Twsbi off his ebay store.

There's a mass drop on the ondoro right now that puts it under $100: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/faber-castell-ondoro?utm_source=linkshare&referer=AW7D87 . I've joined that, so I'll be getting one soon. Can't vouch for it yet, but others have reviewed it well. It will be my first Faber Castell. I would agree with others that Twsbi is a good choice too. I really like both my eco and vac mini. They're work horses that remain interesting to hold.

"We can become expert in an erroneous view" --Tenzin Wangyal Rinoche

You can get a Wing sung 698 for 15 dollars, and it is a nice piston filler worth far more than that. Some say it's better than the TWSBIs for triple the price!

Oh and yeah, there are clear and opaque versions of it as well.

If you feel you need to acquire your third pen within the next month or two, I would also recommend a Parker 51 aerometric, with the caveat that most of them seem to have fine nibs, and you haven't indicated nib preferences.

Better yet, given that you are in California, consider attending the San Francisco International Pen Show in August. Attending a pen show would give you the opportunity to see thousands of pens, hold promising ones in your hand, possibly try them out, and hear the advice of dealers who can steer you to pens you might like, based on your stated preferences. (The Los Angeles International Pen Show would have been more convenient for you, I'm guessing, but the 2017 show has already taken place.)

Pilot Metropolitan around $20.

Platinum Plasir around $20.

Lamy Safari around $30. a good consistent writer

Pilot Lucina around $45. a very nice pen though a little small if you have big hands

Bexley Stalwart, retails above $100. at around $125. but can be found at online retailers for around $100. a really smooth writing nib.

Conklin All American, get the medium nib, around $80.

Kaweco Sport around $20 a compact pen which may be a negative for you. Solid consistent writer.

Jinhao 159 around $7. - $10. depending where you buy; big bold, heavy. Good writer

Jinhao x750 about $5. still big but not as much as the 159. A smooth writer.

Edited by Maurizio

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

There are many choices but they may feel much thinner at the section after an m800... The Ondoro might be the ticket, and it's down to $86 at Massdrop (haven't tried it in person).

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

If you don't mind the wait I would take a look at the Pilot Custom 74 or Platinum Century 3776. Purchased direct from Japan they can be had for under $100. They will be a completely different type of pen when compared to your M800 - but both have gold nibs and are wonderful for note taking given the Japanese nibs tend to write on the small-ish side.

Also - thanks to the posters above me I just spent $42 on a Loom from Amazon on a total impulse purchase!

Edited by TheRealMikeDr

If you don't mind the wait I would take a look at the Pilot Custom 74 or Platinum Century 3776. Purchased direct from Japan they can be had for under $100. They will be a completely different type of pen when compared to your M800 - but both have gold nibs and are wonderful for note taking given the Japanese nibs tend to write on the small-ish side.

Also - thanks to the posters above me I just spent $42 on a Loom from Amazon on a total impulse purchase!

I just came to suggest the 3776 - it can be had on Amazon for the same general price you can get it on the fleabay from Japan. Or, within a close enough price that the much quicker and easier shipping is worth it.

It comes in blue, black, and red easily. Also, the nibs are on par with Pelikan I'd say for smoothness, but they are 'stiff' if you will even being a 14k.

Excellent recommendations Mike Dr

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

Parker 51. The best fountain pen ever made. Carefully designed at a time when the fountain pen was king of writing instruments. Streamlined design, beautiful, no glitz. Check the FPN sales for reliable sellers. Typical price around $100, give or take $25. Collector's items are more expensive, but a pen in a rare color writes the same as pen made in more popular colors.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

New

• Platinum 3776, with a M nib (on Amazon, you can find it less than $100)

Vintage/Used

• Parker 51-aerometric
  • Parker Vacumatic (will need the diaphram replaced)
  • Sheaffer Snorkel (will need the ink sac replaced)
  • Sheaffer Targa

The Vac and Targa might be over $100

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Now, if you can get a #3776 for less than $100, that is worthwhile.

In the UK, it's difficult to get them for less than £100.

Platinum Century 3776

This was going to be my suggestion as well. I generally prefer western nibs and got mine in broad. Love it. Has been continuously inked since its arrival in early December. A daily (or near daily) user. A little larger than a M200 but smaller than a M800. It is about 15 mm longer than a M200 capped at about 138mm.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I have a Platinum Century 3776 inbound, so of course I believe that might be a good choice. But I will say that for a cheap pen that does not feel cheap, go with the Pilot Metropolitan, I have two, both with stub nibs and think they are fantastic writers.

Kevin