The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

1957 Parker Duofold Maxima

parker duofold maxima uk

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 eugenebeauxbuton

eugenebeauxbuton

Lover of All That Is Pelikan

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2017 - 17:00

As is my habit, I pulled the trigger on this pen and then began the deep research into its provenance and Duofold Maximas on the whole.

A couple of questions:

1. The Maxima is said to have been released in 1958 to replace the Senior, correct? I have a nib imprinted with 1957. What gives??

2. I was reading that the barrel is imprinted with something along the lines of "Parker Duofold Maxima/Made in England" and yet mine does not have that (the only thing is a rather cool reference to the 26th Colchester Sea Scouts which seem to be the UK's seafaring boy scouts -- fine with being wrong here).

Thoughts on the above or why this might be the case? Is my 1957 in fact a Frankenstein's monster of a pen? See attached for pics. Thanks for the help and consideration!

Attached Images

• 1.PNG
  • 2.PNG
  • 3.PNG

Current Collection: 1922 BCHR Waterman No. 52 1941 Parker Vacumatic Major (Canada) 1946 Parker Vacumatic Major (U.S.) 1957/8 Parker Duofold Maxima (U.K.)

Sponsored Content

#2 Beechwood

Beechwood

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,220 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 17:20

Firstly, that is an exceptional pen, looks perfect.

The maxima was introduced in 1958 at 50 shillings, twice as a much as a Slimfold. 50 shillings is £2 50p, average weekly wage at the time was £12.

From memory, the Maxima didnt replace the Senior, I bought a senior  in 1964 for example. The Maxima was quite a bit longer than the senior, also the nib was both bigger and better.

It wouldnt be unreasonable for the nib to be made in 1957 ready for a 58 launch (probably a Christmas 57 launch in reality).

You are not far wrong in your summation of a Sea Scout, whereas the regular Scout would go to the woods the Sea Scout would sail away in a pea green boat.

#3 mitto

mitto

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,936 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2017 - 17:36

When I picked up my red aero Maxima Duofold I asked the seller what does the imprint on the barrel says. He replied there was no imprint on the barrel. Yet I bought the pen seeing the #50 nib and the size of the pen in the pictures. When the pen arrived I was able to see the worn out imprint using a powerful loupe.

Might be the imprint is there on your pen too but is worn out.
Khan

#4 eugenebeauxbuton

eugenebeauxbuton

Lover of All That Is Pelikan

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2017 - 17:55

Yes I feel rather happy to have found such a lovely example.

Ah thanks much @Beechwood, thought that might be a possibility with manufacturing dates...

Will need to scope it out then @mitto. 

Current Collection: 1922 BCHR Waterman No. 52 1941 Parker Vacumatic Major (Canada) 1946 Parker Vacumatic Major (U.S.) 1957/8 Parker Duofold Maxima (U.K.)

#5 Beechwood

Beechwood

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,220 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 20:10

Yes I feel rather happy to have found such a lovely example.

Ah thanks much @Beechwood, thought that might be a possibility with manufacturing dates...

Will need to scope it out then @mitto. 

It is not imperative that Parker stamped the name and model on the pen, I have another Duofold that was made by Parker for a department store and stamped only with their name.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: parker, duofold, maxima, uk

Sponsored Content

|