Could You Pick Just One M600?

sirgilbert357

I've only ever had M200's and (modern) M400's because I liked the size -- especially in a shirt pocket. My Pelikans seemed to fit when others didn't. Despite being 6'3" and having large hands, I find them comfortable to write with even unposted.

Then I got an M800.

I took a leap since I ordered it without ever having written with an M800 before. But, it worked out because I love it. Since I love the size of the M800, I know I would be fine with an M600 too now. So, I am thinking of having one of each size - M400, M600, M800 - and that means getting rid of one of my M400's and replacing it with an M600. I know, I could keep what I have and just add an M600 to the fold, but I want to stay within my self-imposed 10 pen limit, so yeah...hard choices.

Currently, I have the blue striped M405, the classic green striped M400 and the Renaissance Brown M800. I absolutely adore the M405 and I've recently learned that specific color and trim is very hard to find in the 600 size, so my thought was to sell the green striped M400 and just get a green striped M600 -- same pen, different size, easily available, problem solved. I want to see what else is out there though...

I'd love to hear what your favorite M600 is, or if you HAD to pick *just one*, which one would it be? Pics would be a bonus!

Edited by sirgilbert357

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sirgilbert357

• daenghafez

• Calabria

• Erik Dalton

If I were to get an M600, it would probably be the white tortoise. -- And I could stop there; I'm okay with owning a single example of a given pen model.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

Of the standard 4 colors, blue, red, green and black, in that order. Of the entire 6xx line, my first thought is to say M620 Madrid, hands down but ... I already have a M320 Ruby, which is kind of close, so I'll go with the Pink Tortoise.

link to 620 pics: https://thepelikansperch.com/database/fountain-pens/m6xx/m620/

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

If I were to get an M600, it would probably be the white tortoise. -- And I could stop there; I'm okay with owning a single example of a given pen model.

That's a nice choice. I love the tortoise binde on that model. Sadly, the white bits don't work for me.

Of the standard 4 colors, blue, red, green and black, in that order. Of the entire 6xx line, my first thought is to say M620 Madrid, hands down but ... I already have a M320 Ruby, which is kind of close, so I'll go with the Pink Tortoise.

link to 620 pics: https://thepelikansperch.com/database/fountain-pens/m6xx/m620/

I think the Madrid is gorgeous. That Berlin and Piazza Navona are both really nice too...

See, its kind of hard to pick just one!

I would go for SE pens, the black M605 or the blue demo M605 Marine Blue; I may be tempted by the blue M605 as well if I came across it for a good price. M6xx seem to be more desirable, however, and are fetching comparatively high prices.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

I would go for SE pens, the black M605 or the blue demo M605 Marine Blue; I may be tempted by the blue M605 as well if I came across it for a good price. M6xx seem to be more desirable, however, and are fetching comparatively high prices.

My very first Pelikan was a modern M205 in black and I loved it. I had no idea they were "special editions". Sadly, it cracked and Chartpak basically told me I was out of luck and they were happy to send me an M200. I didn't like the gold hardware, so I flipped it at a loss and have always been disappointed with that experience. Maybe a black M605 would be a good choice...

Of the M6xx series, my favorites are two of the 620s, the Grand Place and the Piazza Navona. I've got the first, and am on the lookout for the latter. After writing with everything from an M320 to an M1050, I'm not sure I don't prefer the 6xx size to the others, even though they all have their strengths and weaknesses.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Grand Place...the main square of Brussels. A "grail pen"....but would be close to your 800.

I'd not get a simple green one...there are ever so many beautiful 600's.

.....and why get rid of a 400...you could always buy a '50's semi-flex nib for it.

I have a 605, I like the girth and balance.....in spite of getting the BB nib stubbed to 1.0, prefer the '50's semi-flex B nib on it.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I'd go San Francisco followed by Green O'Green, Vibrant Green, and Ruby Red. All winners in my book but that San Francisco is something special.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I'd go with the San Francisco--a lovely pen--or the one I don't have and keep looking for--the Ruby Red!

This is a very tough one, since there are so many that are absolutely necessary.

Assuming that I could find the, probably:

1st choice - Piazza Navona

2nd - Ruby Red

3rd - Grand Place

4th - white tortoise

Ask me tomorrow and it will likely be different.

Edited by Lam1

My preference would be any coloured candy & striking looking pen which could be.. uhm.. uhm.. 🤔

Edited by daenghafez

Grand Place...the main square of Brussels. A "grail pen"....but would be close to your 800.

I'd not get a simple green one...there are ever so many beautiful 600's.

.....and why get rid of a 400...you could always buy a '50's semi-flex nib for it.

I have a 605, I like the girth and balance.....in spite of getting the BB nib stubbed to 1.0, prefer the '50's semi-flex B nib on it.

Why get rid of the green striped M400? Because of my self-imposed 10 pen limit. I really have a hard time justifying the ones I already have since I don't write as much as I'd like. Plus it helps me really focus on what I want and to look for something I'll appreciate long term -- not just buy everything that I like the looks of...because that list would be VERY long, not to mention expensive.

I'd go San Francisco followed by Green O'Green, Vibrant Green, and Ruby Red. All winners in my book but that San Francisco is something special.

All excellent choices sargetalon. I like the Green O'Green, but I wonder how it looks in real life. I'll keep an eye out for one at the Dallas Pen Show (yeah, I know...not likely I'll find one there, but you never know).

I *do* have a soft spot in my heart for greens. The pen I'd be getting rid of is green, and I fill it with green ink, so I'd prefer to get something that would fill the same role and use the same ink. I also just happen to really like the classic green striped Pelikans...there's just something classy about them.

I'd go with the San Francisco--a lovely pen--or the one I don't have and keep looking for--the Ruby Red!

Are the Ruby Reds hard to find? I feel like I saw one for sale just a couple of days ago...not sure if it was on Ebay or where...I think it was a foreign site though, because it was like 699 Euros. Full box and papers, etc...

This is a very tough one, since there are so many that are absolutely necessary.

Assuming that I could find the, probably:

1st choice - Piazza Navona

2nd - Ruby Red

3rd - Grand Place

4th - white tortoise

Ask me tomorrow and it will likely be different.

LOL..."absolutely neccessary"!!

Believe me, if I had more disposable income, I'd have a larger collection, I can promise you that! I have to limit myself to quality over quantity sadly...

My very first Pelikan was a modern M205 in black and I loved it. I had no idea they were "special editions". Sadly, it cracked and Chartpak basically told me I was out of luck and they were happy to send me an M200. I didn't like the gold hardware, so I flipped it at a loss and have always been disappointed with that experience. Maybe a black M605 would be a good choice...

Ah. The first pen I loved was a M100 and that simple look and great performance has remained the standard I try to recreate with every new pen purchase. Are the M205 no longer available? I have one, it's nice, though I prefer the M405 black.

I'm totally biased towards the classic green stripe as well. Don't sell it. My Pelikans are a great resource since the nibs are interchangeable. When I get bored with a pen I switch out the nib and voilà! a new pen.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang