• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ac12

• SoulSamurai

• Drone

• InkyPoetess

I went the route some recommended.

I went to dip pens to satisfy my flex writing curiosity, and I LIKED the dip pens so much that, when I want to write flex, I will pull out my dip pens. Specifically I will pull out one of my oblique dip pen holders. There is NO fountain pen that will duplicate an oblique dip pen holder with a pointed nib.

My flex fountain pens pretty much are unused. And don't ask why I bought them, cuz I don't know.

I did put a FPR flex nib (similar to a Noodler's flex nib) into a vintage Wearever lever pen, and it works quite well. MUCH better than either of my Noodler's pens. It does NOT drool/drip ink onto my paper as I write.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

When I refer to the FPR "flex" nib I normally put "flex" in quotation marks. I do this because I can't corroborate that it is a flex nib. I doubt I've ever seen or used a geniune flex nib, vintage or modern. As far as I'm concerned I don't know what a flex nib is or what it looks like or what it feels like how it behaves, and I don't wish to endorse a categorization based solely on my experience with FPR's #6 "flex" nibs. Having said all of that, however, I would rather write with them—whatever they be—than with the stock nibs that came with the pens in my previous post.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

Bookman

I understand where you are coming from.

Having used flex dip pen nibs, fountain pen flex nibs, even GOOD vintage ones, just do not compare. And there are so many different dip pen flex nibs at quite low prices, so one can get several different nibs, that behave differently.

I view the FPR "flex" nib as a bridge nib, between a nail and vintage flex. Not as good as vintage flex, but a heck of a LOT cheaper. So it gets one into flex writing at an affordable price.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I'm not sure why you would compare them... well, other than that whole tricky human nature bit of course!

I love using my g-pen nibs with reckless abandon, and comparing say, Zebra with Tachikawa. I love using my Brause EF66, and my vintage heirloom Gillot 303 (not that I can... it's too good for me!), and my Hughes whatever it is with it's magnificent reservoir and its ludicrous flex capabilities. I also love using my Waterman (super?) flex broad cursive/stub, and my Swan Calligraph fine semi flex, and yes, even my Ahab and my this and my that... and while I feel I can compare the effect of the vintage dip nibs to the g-pens, even that is a bit of a stretch, and to compare the pleasure I get from my various dips to the very different pleasure I get from my various FPs would seem futile!

Edited by MercianScribe

Hi, I'm Mat

:)

-1 on the Konrad.

Mine would not stop drooling.

1) I don't need it, but I'd give it a good home.

2) Is it the acrylic version or ebonite? Mine's ebonite, and I've heard they're a little better. I've had no issue with mine at all, but I hate my Ahab, same story as your Konrad...unused in a drawer.

3) ALSO...Goulet sells replacement feeds for those for about $4. Might try with a fresh feed. Drooling is most likely a feed problem, or a bad piston seal.

Edited by ColdDeadHand

I can stop any time.

-Me

I tried to re-seat the Noodler's nib into the Singularity, and was a bit more aggressive this time. It's now about two millimeters farther in, which seems to help with the cap closing.

I've been thinking about picking up a Desiderata pen for a while now, but whenever I check out the website it shows the pens as being out of stock? Are they not being made anymore?

I've been thinking about picking up a Desiderata pen for a while now, but whenever I check out the website it shows the pens as being out of stock? Are they not being made anymore?

If you sign up for his mailing list, he will let you know when a new batch comes out.

I'm going to get another Icarus because it's my favorite pen right now.

I think it is much more comfortable to hold and better looking than the Daedalus.

That is basically it for me.

I carry an Icarus, a modified Singularity (FA style cut Ahab nib ) & a rollerball pen in a Visconti case.

My vintage gold flexy ones stay in the box 99% of the time.

I have a Konrad and it worked well out of the box. Ultimately I switched the nib to a Goulet broad. (it's one of the resin models)

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

If you sign up for his mailing list, he will let you know when a new batch comes out.

I'm going to get another Icarus because it's my favorite pen right now.

I think it is much more comfortable to hold and better looking than the Daedalus.

That is basically it for me.

I carry an Icarus, a modified Singularity (FA style cut Ahab nib ) & a rollerball pen in a Visconti case.

My vintage gold flexy ones stay in the box 99% of the time.

Ah, cool, I'll do that, thank you.