Plastic Ink?

bgordebak

I just have the greenest ink idea. I want to make a pigment based ink for dip pens from recycled plastic dust.

I found out if I dilute water with alcohol I can get a solution with plastic's density. (I'm a beginner, bear with me.) I just need a good binding agent to use with water, alcohol and plastic dust.

Do you think it's feasible? If so, what would be a good binding agent?

Edit: sorry for the triple post, my wifi acted strange.

Edited by bgordebak

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bgordebak

• Astronymus

• Sandy1

• AL01

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What you need is a chemist.

I guess so. Although some pigment based inks are fairly easy to make, I don't think I will pursue this.

But it's a good idea I think. If someone made recycled plastic ink (plastink?) I 'd definitely use it.

If anyone knows how to do that, please go ahead and do it.

Hi,

Please take a look at the Magic Color Lunar White to serve as a prototype media, in which to suspend the pigment. http://www.saa.co.uk/paint-colour/acrylic-paint-ink/magic-color-acrylic-ink

It seems to me that the trick is to get recycled 'plastic dust' [uniformly] ultra fine and keep it distributed in the media: we have glitter-ish FP inks with bling bits, so I don't think one needs to go nano.

Chemist/s certainly come in handy from time to time, if only to make great coffee...

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Hi,

Please take a look at the Magic Color Lunar White to serve as a prototype media, in which to suspend the pigment. http://www.saa.co.uk/paint-colour/acrylic-paint-ink/magic-color-acrylic-ink

It seems to me that the trick is to get recycled 'plastic dust' [uniformly] ultra fine and keep it distributed in the media: we have glitter-ish FP inks with bling bits, so I don't think one needs to go nano.

Chemist/s certainly come in handy from time to time, if only to make great coffee...

Bye,

S1

Thanks a lot! I'll certainly look into it. To be clear, I want to make it for dip pens, in the lines of india ink. For FPs it's big risk I think. That's why don't need to go nano really.

I was expecting some answers like shellac or gum arabic for example.

Thanks a lot! I'll certainly look into it. To be clear, I want to make it for dip pens, in the lines of india ink. For FPs it's big risk I think. That's why don't need to go nano really.

I was expecting some answers like shellac or gum arabic for example.

Hi,

Another approach might be to emulate a sumi-e ink stick, using glue / resin as the media.

As with ink stick, the calligrapher would prepare a fresh batch for each session, then transfer that to a wee bottle for use.

Bye,

S1

I actually made it. Made a little sample. I used water, water-soluble glue (Pritt Pen in this case), and plastic dust. I'd send a photo, you wouldn't see much, because it needs a lot more plastic dust.

But it works!

Here's a not very good writing sample. It needs lot more plastic dust, but works. I wrote it with a glass dip pen.

post-137032-0-53055600-1496444173_thumb.jpg

And since it's not waterproof, it might be safe for FPs, but I need a thinner sandpaper to produce the dust.

And I think it can be also used as a plastic pencil, when pressed and dried!

Edited by bgordebak

I made another sample, but I didn't like it as an ink. Because, if it has a nice color, it needs to be pretty dense for flowing from a nib.

But if I can find a way to harden it, I might have invented a new kind of pencil. They use clay to harden graphite. It might work.

Edit: If I can grind it much finer, it still might work as an ink though.

Edit: I don't think it would make a pencil, because plastic isn't a material which stays on paper. I still think both the ink and the pencil can be made somehow. But I'll leave it to people with money.

Edited by bgordebak

I wonder if the dust is good for the environment.

I wonder if the dust is good for the environment.

Of course not. The idea is using scrap plastic to prevent them to go into the nature, at least for longer. Most of the plastic can be preserved without being thrown out.

And as dust they are less dangerous to animals.

And as dust they are less dangerous to animals.

There I'm not sure. Plastic particles can be consumed by marine life, like plancton. And so go up the food chain.

There I'm not sure. Plastic particles can be consumed by marine life, like plancton. And so go up the food chain.

Yeah, I was just editing my answer to say that I'm not sure.

I think a pen that melts scrap plastic to write effectively would be a better solution. If it could be made harmless from heat and portable.

So, a mini-glue gun, that uses a mixture of hot melt glue and plastic powder, that gives you a line that is fine enough to write with.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

So, a mini-glue gun, that uses a mixture of hot melt glue and plastic powder, that gives you a line that is fine enough to write with.

Yeah. Just an idea.

Yeah. Just an idea.

Hi,

IMHO what you are doing is not 'just an idea' - it is the execution of an idea, which needs to be materialised.

​(I have the good fortune that some of my ideas materialised and were monetised.)

Your initiative is admirable. :thumbup:

People have been making ink for who knows how long, and continue to do so. As such I encourage you to continue exploring to see what's what.

We learn as we go, so if you don't go, what more can we know?

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

Hi,

The ink is meant to be bonded to the page, so is not free to roam.

Not to be frosty, but if the iron-gall ink in all the archives presented a bio-hazard, would they be disposed of?

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

Hi,

IMHO what you are doing is not 'just an idea' - it is the execution of an idea, which needs to be materialised.

​(I have the good fortune that some of my ideas materialised and were monetised.)

Your initiative is admirable. :thumbup:

People have been making ink for who knows how long, and continue to do so. As such I encourage you to continue exploring to see what's what.

We learn as we go, so if you don't go, how to learn?

Bye,

S1

Thanks a lot for the encouraging words, Sandy. I didn't give up on the idea yet. I found out that they sell recycled plastic powder for plastic coatings. That powder is much finer than I ground. It might work with the proper binding agent.

I just couldn't find the right agent yet.

Thanks a lot for the encouraging words, Sandy. I didn't give up on the idea yet. I found out that they sell recycled plastic powder for plastic coatings. That powder is much finer than I ground. It might work with the proper binding agent.

I just couldn't find the right agent yet.

Hi,

Patience and persistence might become your watchwords.

Instant gratification is the blood sucking Vampire of ideas.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1