The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Kanwrite Nibs For Jinhao 159

jinhao nibs kanwrite

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tarundurga

Tarundurga

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2017 - 15:37

Hello... I am considering swapping the nib of my Jinhao 159 with a Kanwrite one... either flex or broad. I know the Jinhao requires a size 6 nib, but I'm not sure if Kanwrite has the same numbering. What are your thoughts and advice?

Sponsored Content

#2 Debarun

Debarun

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 September 2017 - 14:43

I am using their number 35 fine in my Kanwrite Desire.... Size six may be equivalent to their number 45... Its better to clarify directly from them

#3 prashant.tikekar

prashant.tikekar

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 September 2017 - 04:26

I haven't tried myself as I don't have a Jinhao159 but I do have no 6 (35 mm) Kanwrite nibs. So Kanwrite do have no 6 nibs in a variety of tip sizes. I also know someone who has swapped Jinhao159 nib with Kanwrite nib. So it is possible.

#4 NPatil

NPatil

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 September 2017 - 04:38

I've swapped a Kanwrite 35mm flex nib into a Jinhao 159. And I've tried unsuccessfully in two other 159s. It's not a natural fit, owing to the wider curvature of the base of the kanwrite nib. If you observe carefully, the diameter of the Jinhao feed is significantly smaller than the 6.3mm diameter of the Indian ebonite feeds that Kanwrite nibs are meant to fit.
Basically you have to carefully squeeze the base of the kanwrite nib with pliers or some other tool and increase the curvature till it fits the Jinhao feed. If you're as successful as I was, you'll jam the nib in (with a good fit) but never manage to pull it out again.
In both my unsuccessful attempts, the nib got jammed in partially and while pulling it out, the plastic nib housing got pulled out of the section. A bit of epoxy and using the original jinhao nib cured that issue, but I haven't had a go at this experiment since then.
Hope you're more successful than I was.

#5 Tarundurga

Tarundurga

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 September 2017 - 05:45

Thank you all for your inputs. I decided to stay with the 159's nib. Filled it up with brown ink and it performs very well with sketches.

#6 prashant.tikekar

prashant.tikekar

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 September 2017 - 05:58

If you wish to use Kanwrite nibs, get a Kanwrite Desire with no. 6 nib. It is value for money pen available in many solid and translucent colours including clear.

#7 Bobje

Bobje

We're all bozos on this bus.

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 September 2017 - 14:30

On a similar topic, has anyone been able to purchase the Kanwrite music nib, either as a nib/feed alone, or on a Kanwrite pen such as the Desire?

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA

Hua Hong Blue Belter

JAPAN

Stationery

INDIA

ASA Nauka in Dartmoor | ASA Nauka in Ebonite | ASA Azaadi in Opal | ASA Bheeshma in Graphite | ASA Halwa in Pistachio | Ranga Model 8 | Ranga Model 8b | Ranga Emperor

UK

Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA

Bexley Prometheus

INK

Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue

EXPERIMENTS

Flex Nib Modifications with Nibs from Fountain Pen Revolution

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jinhao, nibs, kanwrite

Sponsored Content

|