The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

A New Kind Of Nib, Homemade, And No Cost

nib homemade diy

47 replies to this topic

#41 bgordebak

bgordebak

Rarest

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 July 2017 - 02:19

You might want to attempt to create a nib that fits into and older low cost FP - a Wearever for example.

Also, I would think that if you refined the nib so that it wrote smoothly enough and with some flexibility or other desired quality people might purchase just the nib work.

If you think it's really worth investing time and energy you might consider evaluating "crowd-source" funding.

Thanks. I thought about selling the nib units, but I'm just not sure they would fit "any" pen, and I don't want to sell anything unusable.

Crowd-sourcing is a good idea, but I think I need to spend a lot of money for doing it. I would need to be prepared for larger scale manufacturing, and it has a good chance of failing. And I don't have any money.

If this could be done on a platinum preppy or cheaper founain pens(i meant other cheap fountain pens), it would be awesome and a fun pen to try out. How does it feel for long writing sessions?

It's okay for long writing sessions, it doesn't feel too different than another fountain pen nib. It's smoother than some of my nibs.

A Preppy... I can try that when I have the chance.

Sponsored Content

#42 tamiya

tamiya

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 July 2017 - 05:24

Preppy is (bleep), plastic is brittle & cracks too regularly. Proprietary Platinum cartridge too.

For mucking around, go buy a box of Dollar 717 from India... fraction of price of preppy, they're piston fill and they're decently wet... stock nib is serviceable.

#43 bgordebak

bgordebak

Rarest

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:59

Hey everyone! I'm a gold member now. Should I post the pen in Classifieds?

#44 Needhelp

Needhelp

Im a cute cactus!!!!!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 July 2017 - 15:14

bgordebak,
Your profile photo is really nice.
By the way which pen is it (i think mostly a parker 51)
And which ink is it?
And the bottle too!

Edited by Needhelp, 15 July 2017 - 15:15.

#45 bgordebak

bgordebak

Rarest

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 July 2017 - 15:42

bgordebak,
Your profile photo is really nice.
By the way which pen is it (i think mostly a parker 51)
And which ink is it?8
And the bottle too!

Thanks a lot! Nothing fancy actually.

The pen is a vintage Scrikss 71, an old Turkish pen which is my favourite pen. The ink and the bottle are Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black, which is the ink I use the most.

Edited by bgordebak, 15 July 2017 - 15:44.

#46 Needhelp

Needhelp

Im a cute cactus!!!!!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 July 2017 - 16:09

Thanks a lot! Nothing fancy actually.
The pen is a vintage Scrikss 71, an old Turkish pen which is my favourite pen. The ink and the bottle are Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black, which is the ink I use the most.

Wow!
Anyway on the quote i think you accidently added 8.(not an issue)

#47 ASCIIaardvark

ASCIIaardvark

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 July 2017 - 21:50

This one writes a little italic. And, you can grind all three sides of the nib to different sizes! You can have a pen with F, M, and B nibs for example.

I love the idea of multiple nib sizes just by turning it. I've got several fude pens that do EF-BBBB or so, but I have to suit my writing angle to the nib and be extra careful to keep consistent lines.

This looks like it'd solve those issues and let you write at an angle of the writer's comfort. It's reverse-writing++ :)

While this does seem like the Sailor-Trident/Hero-360, they didn't offer multiple grinds. So you may still have a chance with your patent application.

#48 Needhelp

Needhelp

Im a cute cactus!!!!!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 July 2017 - 04:40

Wait so if bgordebak patents it, i can just try to make it and have fun with it and post it on fpn as a review but not going to sell it? RIGHT?
Which is mostly not going to happen because i do not have the materials and time to do it
😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔

Edited by Needhelp, 25 July 2017 - 04:41.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nib, homemade, diy

Sponsored Content

|