New Lamy 2000 M, Questions About Ink Selection, Nib/feed Alignment.

chickenfried

Have a new Lamy 2000 medium. Surprised it feathers more than my Sheaffer Balance II stub which is broader. The Sheaffer's been pretty consistent with several inks. With the Lamy 2k Diamine Red Dragon was pretty bad. Diamine Ancient copper is better. Would hate to have to be selective when it comes to ink I could use in the 2K.

Also nib and feed seem to be crooked? Opinions? sorry no writing sample with red dragon...

Blank printer paper and nock dotdash notebook. side note, guesses as to the parker 61 nib size, Fine maybe?

34172494034_f1d8e9585f_c.jpg

hard to get reference lines and pen lined up straight

35021106005_f0329daabe_c.jpg

feed crooked...

34889017721_495b70115e_c.jpg

Edited by chickenfried

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Driften

• ParkerDuofold

• chickenfried

• Jamerelbe

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the nib definitely looks like it's off-centre - whether it's been incorrectly assembled, or whether the the nib slit has been cut off centre, or perhaps both, I'd hesitate to say based on a couple of 2-dimensional photos. I'd definitely be contacting the vendor, though, and sending these photos through!

Hello Chickenfried,

This is a real shame. It never should have left the factory like that; L2K's are hand tuned and inspected. :huh:

That offset nib and feed could also be allowing the ink to flow freer; causing your feathering problems... as Richard Binder says, "a fp is nothing more than a controlled leak."

Definitely contact your dealer; too bad you didn't notice that before you inked it up.

Good luck.

- Anthony

Send it back...

Don't mess with it.

I am sorry that such a thing would happen...

But remember.... Fountain pens are man - made.

Man, by nature, is not and will NEVER be perfect.

Thanks... Enjoy your 2000... Al.

Nib being off-centre in relation to the feed is very common, across all brands of fountain pen. Normally, if the nib is sitting outside, you can very easily 'twist' it back into the correct position (see MAtt Armstrong's video) but I would not know what to do with the L2K.

I used to have a Lamy 2000M, also in medium. It was a very wet writer with the line-width that matched some of my other broads. It could be a Lamy characteristic though.

Nib being off-centre in relation to the feed is very common, across all brands of fountain pen. Normally, if the nib is sitting outside, you can very easily 'twist' it back into the correct position (see MAtt Armstrong's video) but I would not know what to do with the L2K.

I used to have a Lamy 2000M, also in medium. It was a very wet writer with the line-width that matched some of my other broads. It could be a Lamy characteristic though.

The nib and feed are just press fit into the section, the only difference its from the back not the front. There is a massive 5 part review that includes talks about disassembly and putting it back together here on FPN. I would think there should be some videos someplace. The main thing is to not lose some little ring that seals it to the back of the section. My pen is too new to have needed taking it apart so I don't have any first had experience.

Hello all,

Since this pen is brand new; I STRONGLY discourage self-repair, because the pen may have more problems than just an off-set nib, but if you monkey with it yourself - you'll void the pens warranty - possibly leaving the OP with more problems that he cannot fix himself.

It would be different if he had been using the pen for a while and had no problems and Problem X developed; if "X" is something you know you can repair yourself, do it. Knowing that once "X" is repaired, the pen should work perfectly again. But in this case, the pen was never right... and may have more problems than the obvious one... problems that may not be so easy to repair.

Capisci? ;)

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Hello all,

Since this pen is brand new; I STRONGLY discourage self-repair, because the pen may have more problems than just an off-set nib, but if you monkey with it yourself - you'll void the pens warranty - possibly leaving the OP with more problems that he cannot fix himself.

It would be different if he had been using the pen for a while and had no problems and Problem X developed; if "X" is something you know you can repair yourself, do it. Knowing that once "X" is repaired, the pen should work perfectly again. But in this case, the pen was never right... and may have more problems than the obvious one... problems that may not be so easy to repair.

Capisci? ;)

- Anthony

I agree he should first try and get it exchanged from the dealer he bought it from.