The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Nurse Esterbrook, Jewel And Clip Repair

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 romanat

romanat

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 May 2017 - 23:10

So finally i found a white SJ :) to complete my collection

estie white.jpg

but the clip and the barrel jewel on it is broken, sorry for the potato pic but i was excited and forgot to take a picture and just disassembled it and its now soaking in soapy water.

So the pen looks white in the image but it has turned yellow and has red ink stains all over it and the cap and the inside of the barrel have turned black due to ink deposit, also the j bar was completely broken.

Now i will try to look for a donor pen, don't want to ruin a perfect pen. What would you guys suggest while extracting, the barrel jewel and the clip of the pen, as i have read these are the most hardest jobs to do, so i will have to be extra careful :) if there are any guides or any suggestions please let me know :)

Sponsored Content

#2 Hobiwan

Hobiwan

All I ever wanted was a nice pen to write with...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 May 2017 - 07:28

A couple of Qs ...

Why do you need to pull the barrel jewel?  

Why do you need to extract the clip?

Is it YELLOW yellow, or more of an eggshell white?

Edited by Hobiwan, 31 May 2017 - 07:28.

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

#3 romanat

romanat

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 May 2017 - 15:08

A couple of Qs ...

Why do you need to pull the barrel jewel?  

Why do you need to extract the clip?

Is it YELLOW yellow, or more of an eggshell white?

so i finally found a replacement SJ with everything intact but just a broken cap, so i will use that for that the parts

The barrel jewel is broken off and its just for the aesthetics i would replace the jewel, same with the clip

I wouldn't say complete yellow or eggshell white as well its a in between them both. the pen got red ink stains. As far as i know i guess they never made yellow SJ sizes pens right ?

Right now i am cleaning the barrel and after than i will try to remove scratches and stains and will update with the a pictures as well as would remove the barrel jewel and the inner cap of the pen :)

#4 romanat

romanat

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 May 2017 - 16:20

Update:

estie update1.JPG

The pen soaked in soapy water overnight, the pen is cleaned a bit and the jewel is removed.

now soaking it in clean water again, after that will try to remove the inner cap and the clip.

just to be clear the lever, eraser were not soaked.

Another Update:

After alot of scrubbing using barrel brush and dish soap the pen now only has a red stain inside the cap and the barrel as well the barrel threads, i think it won't remove more than that anyone has any tips on removing stains :)

Another Update: 

i was heating the cap to remove the inner cap and i got distracted and the cap melted from the lip, so the project is dead :'(

Edited by romanat, 31 May 2017 - 19:23.

#5 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,570 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 19:46

Ouch
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 25-26-27, 2017 AND August 24-25-26, 2018 Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#6 romanat

romanat

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 June 2017 - 19:16

Ouch

my cousin whose just 1.5 years old, fell of the stairs causing a panic as i rushed to make sure he's ok, the heat gun caused the warping of the cap lip :(

#7 Hobiwan

Hobiwan

All I ever wanted was a nice pen to write with...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 June 2017 - 22:40

Sorry to hear that.  But, since it's toast anyway, I'd try to nurse it back to it's original shape.  I've had some success with re-shaping, with both plastic and hard rubber.  It's not sure-fire, but what do you have to lose?

I'd find a small wooden or other-than-plastic dowel or rounded thing that fits inside the cap, re-heat the area, and slowly and gently try to nurse it back into shape. 

When you try to pull the inner cap again, I guess you'll have to just hold the cap and use your own force instead of using the lip for leverage. 

HTH

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

Sponsored Content

|