The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

How To Win A Pen In Ebay Auction?

ebay auction bidding

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#81 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,566 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 19:23

Read what Mauricio says about superflex pens........he sells them, and says 9/10's of a pen with great flex is the perfect set up of nib... in a fast feed and proper distance in the pen section. A lot of little fiddling work....so don't go yanking the his set up nib out...because your DIY will not be up to Mauricio's snuff.

In Superflex my problem is it is very hard for me to write EEF (I need a helium filled Blimp attached to my hand to write that light).....EF requires thought and care...and I'm still a bit heavy handed, :rolleyes:  so often I end up with my Waterman 52 writing to a F. I could take it to BBB....but only take it to BB...........in I have read Richard Binder's great article of how to spring your nib and cost your self $$$$.

I have a 100n that will go out to 5X....after testing that...and I do have a small bit of experience in feeling how much is enough, I never go more than 4 X.....in having read Richard's article I don't want to ruin a nib by stressing it to max often enough for metal fatigue to ruin a nice nib. 

As mentioned often enough...folks no one has ever heard of are showing how much they can max a 'flex' nib. :huh: ,,,good possible showing you how they over flexed the nib.

Those who can write is Copperplate or Spenserian....not me by a million miles, are more interested in quick snap back narrow line than how wide they can make the nib go. There is a subsection for them.

There was a great thread somewhere on the com, where someone found that Waterman in the '30's was after a lot of tine bend to go with 3X tine spread......................so it could well be true we are all over stressing our Superflex nibs.

What is the true face of Alec Guinness?

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany      Info on Bock nibs

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Sponsored Content

#82 Strelnikoff

Strelnikoff

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 June 2017 - 19:49

I don't think the photos are "shopped". In some of them you can see the writing reflected in the pen body. It's probably more a case of the seller pushing the nib to maximise the sale price. In his YouTube videos he actually mentions that the pens weren't intended to be used like that, with a swell on every downstroke.

And you're right. What he shows in those photos is real performance of the nib. I wouldn't dare to use it like that - all the time though.

Any pen with some flex is capable of those long swirling lines with thicker-thinner sections. I bet that with constant flex downstrokes any nib will eventually get fatigue cracks.

In any case - many people bought Rob's pens, I have just won one on eBay (well "won" and paid for it) - so I'll have a chance to test sellers claim soon.

Edited by Strelnikoff, 08 June 2017 - 19:50.

#83 Strelnikoff

Strelnikoff

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 June 2017 - 19:54

Read what Mauricio says about superflex pens........he sells them, and says 9/10's of a pen with great flex is the perfect set up of nib... in a fast feed and proper distance in the pen section. A lot of little fiddling work....so don't go yanking the his set up nib out...because your DIY will not be up to Mauricio's snuff.

In Superflex my problem is it is very hard for me to write EEF (I need a helium filled Blimp attached to my hand to write that light).....EF requires thought and care...and I'm still a bit heavy handed, :rolleyes:  so often I end up with my Waterman 52 writing to a F. I could take it to BBB....but only take it to BB...........in I have read Richard Binder's great article of how to spring your nib and cost your self $$$$.

I have a 100n that will go out to 5X....after testing that...and I do have a small bit of experience in feeling how much is enough, I never go more than 4 X.....in having read Richard's article I don't want to ruin a nib by stressing it to max often enough for metal fatigue to ruin a nice nib. 

As mentioned often enough...folks no one has ever heard of are showing how much they can max a 'flex' nib. :huh: ,,,good possible showing you how they over flexed the nib.

Those who can write is Copperplate or Spenserian....not me by a million miles, are more interested in quick snap back narrow line than how wide they can make the nib go. There is a subsection for them.

There was a great thread somewhere on the com, where someone found that Waterman in the '30's was after a lot of tine bend to go with 3X tine spread......................so it could well be true we are all over stressing our Superflex nibs.

I have one early Wahl (Penrite Tempoint) with pure Spencerian nib. It is extra-extra-fine and not more than medium flexed - it can go to B with some push. It is stiff but flexible.

And my issue is controlling the line while writing the thin line. Downstroke is easy... but thin line is often swirly wiggoly... it's practice and hand(s) used to this kind of writing.

I'll post a photo :) 

#84 Uncial

Uncial

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2017 - 00:07

I don't think the photos are "shopped". In some of them you can see the writing reflected in the pen body. It's probably more a case of the seller pushing the nib to maximise the sale price. In his YouTube videos he actually mentions that the pens weren't intended to be used like that, with a swell on every downstroke.

That's slightly worrisome. I doubt many check the YouTube videos before buying and then writing when they get the pen. Not so long ago I was reading an old printed article about different flexible vintage Waterman nibs and one in particular (which is highly coveted for its flexibility) that was ranged at 0.8 to 1.2 in flexibility, but to me it looks like Rob's pens are being pushed far, far beyond that. I think if I tried to get what Rob has in most of those pics with a blue pumpkin dip nib I'd even damage that!

#85 Strelnikoff

Strelnikoff

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2017 - 16:34

That's slightly worrisome. I doubt many check the YouTube videos before buying and then writing when they get the pen. Not so long ago I was reading an old printed article about different flexible vintage Waterman nibs and one in particular (which is highly coveted for its flexibility) that was ranged at 0.8 to 1.2 in flexibility, but to me it looks like Rob's pens are being pushed far, far beyond that. I think if I tried to get what Rob has in most of those pics with a blue pumpkin dip nib I'd even damage that!

Only one thing I've noticed - in Rob's description that may seem deceiving to those who don't use flexible nibs often is - "dipped in ink" to make a writing sample. Usually, when I try pens and dip the nib in ink - the line is juicy and perfect. One cannot tell if the ink will keep up with feed/nib - by dipping in the ink bottle and trying.

In any case - I'll post the photos below of my purchase from Rob's eBay listing. I think he was honest in description - I am getting same variation as he does. Only difference is - my handwriting i.e. flex-caligraphy skills are way below what he does.

#86 Strelnikoff

Strelnikoff

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2017 - 16:36

As promised - Wahl Tempoint (Penrite) with # nib. XXXF to ... medium I think...

Attached Images

• Wahl Tempoint 1.JPG

#87 Strelnikoff

Strelnikoff

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2017 - 16:43

Ok, here it is - Waterman's Hundred Year Pen that I won (and paid for it) on eBay from Rob Morrison. He sent the piece of paper that was on eBay photos - with his handwriting and proof that nib is extra-flexible.

First photo is of - pen and that piece of paper with Rob's writing.

Second photo is - my comparison. On the left is Rob's handwriting - on the right is my own. Now - I can't compare my calligraphic skills (minimal) to his, and control of the pen, but I got pretty much close and/or same.

Thus - I conclude that my experience is - Rob is accurate in pen description. The only thing is - one must be skilled in flexible and calligraphic writing to get exactly what he is getting out of the pen.

And btw - I was maybe, not that brave to push the pen that far.

Waterman Hundred Year 2.JPG

Above photo - no surprises in terms of pen condition. Exactly as he stated. He sent that piece of paper he used to advertise.

Below - comparison between Rob Morrison's and my own "copy" to test the pen

Waterman Hundred Year 3.JPG

Edited by Strelnikoff, 09 June 2017 - 16:44.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ebay, auction, bidding

Sponsored Content

|