How To Win A Pen In Ebay Auction?

strelnikoff

I was bidding on a Pelikan and jumped my max bid up to $1xx to counter someone who'd been doing the dollar increments until they'd passed my previous max of $1xx; figured I was good but then they swooped in at the last minute and sniped it.

Two weeks later, identical pen from same seller is up. I asked seller if it was same pen or a second one, they said same pen, winner didn't pay up. I'm a little surprised seller didn't offer me a "second chance" sale (that's how I ended up getting my first M300), as that would be a fast $1xx. As it is, I'm again high bidder but at $xx currently and it was only me and that other person once past a certain amount.

Tread carefully, my pal; tread carefully. A word to the wise is sufficient. ;)

- Anthony

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• strelnikoff

• Bo Bo Olson

• ParkerDuofold

• AltecGreen

I try to take a philosophical approach - if I get it, great, if I don't that money is there for something else. I do get lucky, both the recent M300 black and the post-97 M200 blue marble attest to that.

What I find interesting is how two black M300s popped up for sale at the same time. Same thing with the M200; been looking for a post-97 blue for a while now, pre-97s derbies are pretty common, there one with a post-97 cap with a pre-97 barrel and one vice versa, too, then 2 post-97s show up. Now I just need a grey to complete the set.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

I checked out the auction. As soon as I see Rob Morrison, it all becomes clear.

Why?

Yeah, I'm out of it. In fact my last bid was max price I was willing to pay and that was it. Next time... I'll just put in the final number I'm willing to pay and I won't "nudge" incrementally.

Well, you never know...

When I see a bid history like that one I think "Uhhh... a noob willing to expend quite more than this object's value" and I forget about it -so it can end being sold under current value! (try it: if you find something was bid much higher than you think it costs, chances are that you will see somebody with a very low track record pushing it)

Why?

Rob Morrison's pens are well presented and typically fetch high prices. That bulgy handwriting style he's perfected to show off the flex probably doesn't hurt, either.

His international shipping costs ($60.75 for that music nib) are a little discouraging, though.

http://i.imgur.com/utQ9Ep9.jpg

Well, you never know...

When I see a bid history like that one I think "Uhhh... a noob willing to expend quite more than this object's value" and I forget about it -so it can end being sold under current value! (try it: if you find something was bid much higher than you think it costs, chances are that you will see somebody with a very low track record pushing it)

My last offer - and last (winning) offer/bid from whoever it is - is actually quite close to current "market" value of this pen. At least from what I've seen on various sites with vintage pens. Seven years ago (2010) one was sold for 200 USD less (500 USD), not exactly the same pen, but exactly the same nib. And in seven years things have changed, I reckon more people are looking for this pen, more people have written about it and so on.

Rob Morrison's pens are well presented and typically fetch high prices. That bulgy handwriting style he's perfected to show off the flex probably doesn't hurt, either.

His international shipping costs ($60.75 for that music nib) are a little discouraging, though.

That make sense. I have "google'd" him, and found his web-page, offering calligraphy services and some other pens. Plus, it seems he has started pen-shows in area long time ago. Thus, spending a bit extra for a pen that comes from him - makes sense too. At least the condition and state of the pen is known and supported.

I've recently bought a pen - from a reputable place (online) - defined as Waterman 52, Red Ripple, flexible nib ... Indeed, the pen was Waterman and Red Ripple, nib has some flex to it - but it was 54 with #2 nib. And the cap is suspiciously (slightly) darker than the barrel. Thus, for what I've paid, I've got a bastardized pen, most likely assembled of parts lying around (good quality though). I reckon this doesn't happens with Mr. Morrison.

60 USD for shipping costs??? Wow...

That make sense. I have "google'd" him, and found his web-page, offering calligraphy services and some other pens. Plus, it seems he has started pen-shows in area long time ago. Thus, spending a bit extra for a pen that comes from him - makes sense too. At least the condition and state of the pen is known and supported.

I've recently bought a pen - from a reputable place (online) - defined as Waterman 52, Red Ripple, flexible nib ... Indeed, the pen was Waterman and Red Ripple, nib has some flex to it - but it was 54 with #2 nib. And the cap is suspiciously (slightly) darker than the barrel. Thus, for what I've paid, I've got a bastardized pen, most likely assembled of parts lying around (good quality though). I reckon this doesn't happens with Mr. Morrison.

60 USD for shipping costs??? Wow...

Rob is one of a handful of dealers that have figured out a good formula for eBay. He targets the crowd that are relatively new to pens looking for flex pens. His ads are well photographed and worded perfectly. Thus he can get much higher prices than normal market prices. If you read the blog post by Davis Nishimura, Rob is one of the dealers mentioned in that article.

As for the red ripple Waterman, your assumption can be true but it is only one of many possibilities. Having a darker cap is not unusual in a vintage pen. You pay a very high premium for perfect color throughout.

If people are willing to pay Rob Morrison prices, you might also want to look at some online dealers instead. Take Gary Lehrer. He deals in much higher quality vintage pens and similar to Rob, Gary can command much higher prices due to the level of presentation, quality of pens, and service. If you are looking for extreme flex, Gary's pens that are listed as triple flexible in his description are about as flexy a pen as you can find. There are tons of other dealers out there although most do not have a web presence. If you are looking for a specific writing quality, then there is no substitute for trying the pen first.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

Rob is one of a handful of dealers that have figured out a good formula for eBay. He targets the crowd that are relatively new to pens looking for flex pens. His ads are well photographed and worded perfectly. Thus he can get much higher prices than normal market prices. If you read the blog post by Davis Nishimura, Rob is one of the dealers mentioned in that article.

As for the red ripple Waterman, your assumption can be true but it is only one of many possibilities. Having a darker cap is not unusual in a vintage pen. You pay a very high premium for perfect color throughout.

If people are willing to pay Rob Morrison prices, you might also want to look at some online dealers instead. Take Gary Lehrer. He deals in much higher quality vintage pens and similar to Rob, Gary can command much higher prices due to the level of presentation, quality of pens, and service. If you are looking for extreme flex, Gary's pens that are listed as triple flexible in his description are about as flexy a pen as you can find. There are tons of other dealers out there although most do not have a web presence. If you are looking for a specific writing quality, then there is no substitute for trying the pen first.

I have bought few pens from Gary. I agree with you.

Noticed regarding eBay: I have spent considerably more time looking at items from sellers with good, structured and repeatable presentation. Especially with writing sample(s) and some point of reference (whether it is a caliper or Rhodia Dot Pad) for line variation. Also, very quickly I have filtered out those who obviously don't know much about pens in general. Thus, I can see why Rob Morrison and few (no more than 3-4 sellers are with highest number of people watching, buying ... bidding.

I have bought few pens from Gary. I agree with you.

Noticed regarding eBay: I have spent considerably more time looking at items from sellers with good, structured and repeatable presentation. Especially with writing sample(s) and some point of reference (whether it is a caliper or Rhodia Dot Pad) for line variation. Also, very quickly I have filtered out those who obviously don't know much about pens in general. Thus, I can see why Rob Morrison and few (no more than 3-4 sellers are with highest number of people watching, buying ... bidding.

The way to get pens for a much lower prices is to not bid on the auctions from sellers with high visibility. One looks for auctions with bad pictures, poor descriptions, large lots with many pens. These attract much less attention and have low cost. You will have to assume risks for some bad pens but if you deal with enough volume of such auctions you end up ahead.

For example, you bid and win an auction on a lot of junky looking pens with a lot of third tier junk with what looks like a really dirty Waterman with potentially a nice nib in a blurry picture. You win the auction for a low price and hope the Waterman is something with potential. A little cleaning and polishing of the pen and nib, you can then relist that pen on eBay with nice pictures, writing sample, and get hundreds for the pen.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

Adding a part II to Ricky's suggestion for those of you seeking the lesser known pieces, building a collection that reflects the history.

In other words, you know enough to See, not high end desirables, but the unusual, transitional, maybe even rare or prototypes.

Don't click Watch, Do quietly bookmark Away from the auction site. Note the time, and determine in advance exactly how much owning or losing that piece means to your collection objective, Then quietly (in your mind) set your Max.

Just before auction time, Open three screens on a fast machine. Understand that if you've been drawing Any attention to what you're watching, that's being heavily, instantly tracked and shared to build viewers + bidders. If others who Know examine closely, what special attributes you see, a bidding war begins. Do Nothing. No test bid, no Max bid, Nothing. Quietly zip in and fire at last 6 seconds to last 2, up to your Max. No audience, or inattentive bidders and it's yours. This requires your own focused attention. I've lost a few special pieces this way (non pens), but busy people often use the easy method, watch/track/snipe, that doesn't work in their favor. But may for a good eye, with a limited budget.

Tread carefully, my pal; tread carefully. A word to the wise is sufficient. ;)

- Anthony

I ended up winning the second auction for $40 less than my max bid the first time around. Yay!

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Last minute sniping doesn't work if the other guys placed a much higher bid.

The key to eBay is bid at the last minute with YOUR MAXIMUM price you would pay for that pen.

Ex. A pen normally sells for $50 on regular websites. Current pen is selling for $16 but he sets his max price to $30. He'll win unless someone snipes it last minute with a max price over $30. If someone tries to bid $16.50 last minute, he'll still win and only end up paying $17.

The only time you can snipe for pennies is if they already reached a max bid, but you never know what the other guys' max bids are. Sometimes you get lucky and you can snipe a pen for 50 cents more than the current bid price. Those are usually the most satisfying deals lol

Well, I've put advices to good use - and won two pens! Combination of max $ I was willing to pay and bidding in last... 5 seconds. Or it was 3 seconds.

In fact I made a "mistake" by clicking confirm button in last 15 seconds, and luckilly I still won the pen. Perhaps someone wasn't faster or I just had a high enough bid. I did missed few more before I managed to win. Haven't even started bidding until last seconds.

And I got some feedback so it's not 0 any more i.e. ex-noob/newb Kind of...

Thanks for all advices!!! I'll post what I have won as soon as I receive pens!

Patience is a virtue too. I have been watching White Pelikan Pelikanos for a while now and kept having the same issue - even when using a sniping service. I just refused to pay what price most were going for. After months of patience I finally nabbed one at what I feel is a reasonable price. Sometimes is just takes persistence.

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts." - Patrick Rothfuss

Double post.

Edited by OmegaMountain

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts." - Patrick Rothfuss

I've heard a number of people say they are very happy with pens they have bought from Rob Morrison. I can't say I'd be very happy at all with the price they command on ebay, but I don't believe bay is the place to be buying 'flexible' nibs these days. I've always assumed that the 'bulgy' writing sample you often see in the background of Rob's pen pics is a close up shot with the pen superimposed over the top. I dread to think how many people have bought his pens thinking they will get something that will produce that ridiculously fat line and have since completely destroyed the nib without realising the picture in the background is blown up.

Well now, my advice on ebay.

* It's a game of averages. I reckon to lose vastly more than I win. If I'm underbidder on quite a few items it means I'm in the hunt - not wildly shy of what is being paid.

* If you see a Buy It Now for less than the pen is worth, bag it quickly. I've seen a number of steals... and bought most of them, but I missed a Delta Dolce Vita for fifty quid. Should have been quicker on the draw that time!

* Just occasionally a real cheapskate snipe bid brings home the bacon, particularly on badly photographed and badly described pens. Sniping software is your friend.

* Unless you know the seller bear in mind ebay has more risk than buying at a pen show, and adjust your budget accordingly.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

I've heard a number of people say they are very happy with pens they have bought from Rob Morrison. I can't say I'd be very happy at all with the price they command on ebay, but I don't believe bay is the place to be buying 'flexible' nibs these days. I've always assumed that the 'bulgy' writing sample you often see in the background of Rob's pen pics is a close up shot with the pen superimposed over the top. I dread to think how many people have bought his pens thinking they will get something that will produce that ridiculously fat line and have since completely destroyed the nib without realising the picture in the background is blown up.

I'll share my experience as soon as I receive my pens. I got one from Rob, Waterman's 100 yr ...

I've been using flexible nibs for some time and I've kind of learned to judge few things. At least I believe so - I may be wrong.

I don't think the photos are "shopped". In some of them you can see the writing reflected in the pen body. It's probably more a case of the seller pushing the nib to maximise the sale price. In his YouTube videos he actually mentions that the pens weren't intended to be used like that, with a swell on every downstroke.

http://i.imgur.com/utQ9Ep9.jpg