The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

How To Win A Pen In Ebay Auction?

ebay auction bidding

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#41 Strelnikoff

Strelnikoff

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2017 - 18:21

Well, yesterday I got outbid ... I kept increasing the offer and then I said ... this is insane - the price is just embarrassingly high. Then I thought about it over night and - given the current experience with trying to find the perfect nib - I keep spending on pens that don't give that what I want. That special flex and feel. And I was curious. So I kept adding offers today, and quickly I found out I'm the highest bidder now. For how long - I don't know. But - I have started thinking "was it my ego working, curiosity or really I want this pen" :)))   I better convince myself now I really want this pen. Damn music nib.

Sponsored Content

#42 Strelnikoff

Strelnikoff

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2017 - 18:28

And one more thing I've noticed - I can't really see what is the highest bid before I start placing my own. Then - if $$ I've put in is not enough - the system show's "next higher bid" according to eBay suggestions, not the final one. So if I'm to know what is the $ number I'm up against - basically I have to outbid the person on the other side.

If I get outbid one more time - I give up. I promise. I have reached the limit of my principles :lol:

You can watch this "game/drama" on eBay... it's the only Waterman Music pen with music nib currently offered.

#43 ParkerDuofold

ParkerDuofold

Jersey Boy

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,828 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2017 - 18:40

You may be better off buying a run of the mill vintage pen/nib and have a nibmeister give you the nib you want.

A vintage factory music nib is getting into Rolls-Royce territory. :D

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold, 01 June 2017 - 18:41.

With thanks to my Mom & Dad; who taught me to run free, but not run wild.

Please pray the Rosary daily. Thank You, St. Jude, for favors granted. :)

Grab life with both arms and give it a bear hug every day! :D

#44 Strelnikoff

Strelnikoff

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2017 - 18:50

You may be better off buying a run of the mill vintage pen/nib and have a nibmeister give you the nib you want.

A vintage factory music nib is getting into Rolls-Royce territory. :D

- Anthony

I've noticed :lol:  ... that's why I've said - this is my last offer and my principles are exhausted.

Honestly, I've paid close to this price for my new Aurora 88 Anniversary Blue. I'm a bit disappointed with this pen for several reasons ( I may write a review one of these days).

Since I've had one wet noodle Waterman's 42, and I've enjoyed it completely and immensely, this eBay pen with music nib is (in theory and probably in practice) or - would be - worth to me more than Aurora 88 ... which I've paid 680 USD (without tax... i.e. 700ish with tax).

I have only one "on hand/close" nibmeister, and I'll ask what he can do about flex. I have one Waterman 54 with #2 flexible nib, but not superflex nor a wet noodle. He is usually in Dromgoole's only on Saturdays - but not always.

If that doesn't work - I'll check online for nibmeisters in USA.

#45 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,481 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2017 - 18:55

And one more thing I've noticed - I can't really see what is the highest bid before I start placing my own. Then - if $$ I've put in is not enough - the system show's "next higher bid" according to eBay suggestions, not the final one. So if I'm to know what is the $ number I'm up against - basically I have to outbid the person on the other side.

If I get outbid one more time - I give up. I promise. I have reached the limit of my principles :lol:

You can watch this "game/drama" on eBay... it's the only Waterman Music pen with music nib currently offered.

That is it.  If the current bid is $50, you cannot see that I put in a max bid of $100.

The system increments by steps; first by 50 cent, then by $1.  I don't know, but I think there are steps above $1, when the bidding gets into the high $$$.

This is why you cannot penny step your bid in $5 steps.  You just have to put in the MAX you are willing to spend, and leave it at that.

So if you enter your max bid of $75, you will see that the system is then at $76, indicating that my max bid is higher than your max bid.

If $75 is really all you are willing to spend, then just walk away, knowing that the guy on the other side is willing to go higher than you, maybe MUCH HIGHER.

Do NOT get into a bidding war.  The emotion of the bidding war sucks you into a hole, and you end up spending way more than you should have.  That is why so many recommend you bid to max, then walk away until after the listing ends.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 23-25, 2019 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#46 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,481 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2017 - 19:00

I have only one "on hand/close" nibmeister, and I'll ask what he can do about flex. I have one Waterman 54 with #2 flexible nib, but not superflex nor a wet noodle. He is usually in Dromgoole's only on Saturdays - but not always.

If that doesn't work - I'll check online for nibmeisters in USA.

I strongly recommend that you NOT try to increase the flex of a nib.

The nib is what it is by design and manufacture.

Attempts to increase the flex will also weaken the nib.

If you really want flex, get a dip pen with a Leonardt Hiro 40, or a Hunt 101, or one of many other flexy nibs.  And these dip pen nibs will not cost you $150+.  More like about $2.  Granted dip pen nibs are considered consumable and will wear out and have to be replaced.  That is why they are inexpensive.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 23-25, 2019 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#47 Strelnikoff

Strelnikoff

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2017 - 19:03

That is it.  If the current bid is $50, you cannot see that I put in a max bid of $100.

The system increments by steps; first by 50 cent, then by $1.  I don't know, but I think there are steps above $1, when the bidding gets into the high $$$.

This is why you cannot penny step your bid in $5 steps.  You just have to put in the MAX you are willing to spend, and leave it at that.

So if you enter your max bid of $75, you will see that the system is then at $76, indicating that my max bid is higher than your max bid.

If $75 is really all you are willing to spend, then just walk away, knowing that the guy on the other side is willing to go higher than you, maybe MUCH HIGHER.

Do NOT get into a bidding war.  The emotion of the bidding war sucks you into a hole, and you end up spending way more than you should have.  That is why so many recommend you bid to max, then walk away until after the listing ends.

I promise I won't. I have placed max amount I'm willing to pay. Currently I'm winning (great), but if I don't - I won't be disappointed.

Thank you for your advice!

#48 pseudo88

pseudo88

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,275 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 19:24

I've only won an ebay auction... Without meaning to. Saw a pair of used speakers which seem like just the thing I was looking for, decided to input my maximum price, which was a bit more than the current highest bid, went to bed thinking nothing would come of it... And lo and behold, I wake up to find a notice saying I'd won. Even beter, then found a 15% coupon. Speakers for $97.5 USD!

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

#49 Goudy

Goudy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2017 - 19:26

The bid history for that listing is interesting. At present there are 29 bids but only 3 bidders. The vast majority of the bids are from a zero-feedback bidder who repeatedly pushes up the price in small increments. He could be a shill, but probably not - most likely a n00b who hasn't got the hang of eBay yet. This is one of the main reasons I snipe, to deny people like that the time to nudge up my bid.

Despite only three bidders, there are 42 people watching that auction, so expect some action at the end!

Edit: Oh wait, that zero bidder isn't you is it, Strelnikoff? :D

Edited by Goudy, 01 June 2017 - 19:33.

utQ9Ep9.jpg

#50 Strelnikoff

Strelnikoff

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2017 - 20:44

The bid history for that listing is interesting. At present there are 29 bids but only 3 bidders. The vast majority of the bids are from a zero-feedback bidder who repeatedly pushes up the price in small increments. He could be a shill, but probably not - most likely a n00b who hasn't got the hang of eBay yet. This is one of the main reasons I snipe, to deny people like that the time to nudge up my bid.

Despite only three bidders, there are 42 people watching that auction, so expect some action at the end!

Edit: Oh wait, that zero bidder isn't you is it, Strelnikoff? :D

Yes, that's me :D

Edit: "was me" is more accurate...

Edited by Strelnikoff, 01 June 2017 - 20:53.

#51 Polanova

Polanova

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2017 - 20:53

This is one of the main reasons I snipe, to deny people like that the time to nudge up my bid.

Exactly - keep your competition in the believe that no one is interested & bid during the final seconds.

Bidding before that, be it minutes or days, gives the competition time to revise their bids.

Having seen interesting auctions being ended prematurely led me to make the occasional offer.

It can be done within the rules by the seller changing the auction to a buy-now offer.

There are two sides to it: One might offer more than the pen will go for eventually (seller wins) or one offers less than what the pen might go for (buyer wins).

Recently I made the offer of 60 bucks for a rare pen but the seller declined, prefering to wait for the auction to end.

Turned out that I was the only bidder & got the pen for 10 bucks instead, feeling a bit sorry for the seller, who decided not to give me a review, which I thought was small-minded - after all, I made a good offer (well, in hindsight at least, it was good  :P ).

There are always surprises!

Edited by Polanova, 01 June 2017 - 20:57.

#52 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,780 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 21:11

Strelnikoff......sounds like you wanted to get into a bidding war......nickle and dimeing will only cause you stomach ulcers, and is a good way to lose more money than you wanted to pay.

It's easy to get tangled up with your ego....and the ego of a stranger.

Snipe or make your max bid...if early, forget it don't come back. If some one is looking to see how high 'your' bid is, they will find out sooner or later.

If you have been outbid....so what....better luck next time. If you hunt there will always be a next time.

I make my one and only*** max bid with 15 seconds left in I want the adrenaline rush....and am too lazy to sign up for a free snipe program.

***if real early...no bid, I might make a low bid just to get it listed for me. One can get foolishly lucky.....well it happens to Somegi right here on the com, often.

Everyone says poor Mozart dead at only 36. None say poor Mendelson, dead at only 38. His family only allowed him to start at 20, but before, musicians use to come to the Mendelson garden to steal the music of Mendelson and his sister. A good artist also, can still buy prints of his famous Scottish drawings in Scotland.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany      Info on Bock nibs

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Pens/inks/paper on hold for a year....new addiction pocket watch chains. :happyberet:

#53 Strelnikoff

Strelnikoff

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2017 - 21:34

Strelnikoff......sounds like you wanted to get into a bidding war......nickle and dimeing will only cause you stomach ulcers, and is a good way to lose more money than you wanted to pay.

It's easy to get tangled up with your ego....and the ego of a stranger.

Snipe or make your max bid...if early, forget it don't come back. If some one is looking to see how high 'your' bid is, they will find out sooner or later.

If you have been outbid....so what....better luck next time. If you hunt there will always be a next time.

I make my one and only*** max bid with 15 seconds left in I want the adrenaline rush....and am too lazy to sign up for a free snipe program.

***if real early...no bid, I might make a low bid just to get it listed for me. One can get foolishly lucky.....well it happens to Somegi right here on the com, often.

Yeah, I'm out of it. In fact my last bid was max price I was willing to pay and that was it. Next time... I'll just put in the final number I'm willing to pay and I won't "nudge" incrementally.

#54 sandy101

sandy101

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,529 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2017 - 21:43

Platinum, I am told, make some very nice music nibs for their #3776 range. The #3776 isn't a shabby pen either.

#55 Strelnikoff

Strelnikoff

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2017 - 21:57

Platinum, I am told, make some very nice music nibs for their #3776 range. The #3776 isn't a shabby pen either.

Thank you for the suggestion. I've tried it few times - the nib is rigid and (it) doesn't offer almost any line variation. Also Sailor 1911 music nib. It's not that I'm after music nib per se, I'm not a musician :))  as much as I am after Watermans factory vintage music nib. Who tried it - fell in love with it instantly.

I own Pilot Custom 912 with Falcon nib. If there is anything close to the vintage flex - it's this nib. At least - from all I've tried so far. Perhaps there are some others, but I wouldn't know.

And - I have Aurora 88 Anniversary with the alleged "flexible" nib. Pilot's nib is amazing, but when it's used for normal (and Spencerian, Copperplate etc) writing - it is very finicky. Only "wet" inks work, paper has to be minimum 80 g/m2 (Rhodia, smooth) and it is sensitive to impurities on the paper too (hand prints etc). Sometimes it writes wonderfully, sometimes it railroads like crazy.

Aurora 88 Anniversary - more rigid nib, has some flex to it - but I'm still struggling to make the best out of it. It writes amazingly, feedback is nice but then it railroads and ink doesn't keeps with the feed/nib...

Edited by Strelnikoff, 01 June 2017 - 22:11.

#56 Zookie

Zookie

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2017 - 22:08

I usually just give a bid that I know is about what a certain pen is worth, and then forget about it.

Also, I've had a lot of luck with used fountain pen lots. 

If, however, there's a pen that you really want, go for the buy it now option. Less stress, more success.

#57 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,780 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 23:00

I like the '50-65 era semi-flex and maxi-semi-flex nibs of Soennecken, MB, Pelikan, Kaweco, Osmia/Osmia-Faber-Castell and Geha. I like their obliques too the only ones I can say has line variation. All these nibs will be stubs.

The nibs are 1/2 a width narrower than modern.

Lamy/ and a few others are nails.

German Ebay. First you have to make sure the seller takes Paypal, in we normally use bank wire which is as cheap here as checks...in the EU. A bank wire outside the EU will cost you $35.

Then you have to make sure the seller will ship to your country.....many refuse to ship outside of Germany.

German postal costs are lots less than US.

German has at least 7 words for fountain pen....and some good poster gave me another but I don't know where I put that word. These will get you started. Copy because the umlaut is the spelling. Füller...not fuller.

xxxxxxxxxx

Pelikan (füllhalter, füllfederhalter, füller, kolbenfüller, "fountain pen")

That should list probably every pen that has Lamy and one of the terms in brackets in it's title. Maybe this is helpful for you :-)
Füller, FüllfederhalterFüllhalter , Füllfeder, Kolben Füller, kolbenfüller, Schulfüller.

SCHREIBGERÄTE...writing instrument  

(&who’d thought it?) Fountain pen, Fountainpen, Füllhalter-Ständer (pen stand) ö ä

nib only

Füller-Feder, Füllfederhalter-FederFüllhalter-Feder,  Federhalter-Feder, Feder, Federspitze für Tinte (for ink), Feder für Füllfederhalter,

Hi, haben sie, feder im Fine dafur?...have you the nib in Fine

Edited by Bo Bo Olson, 01 June 2017 - 23:06.

Everyone says poor Mozart dead at only 36. None say poor Mendelson, dead at only 38. His family only allowed him to start at 20, but before, musicians use to come to the Mendelson garden to steal the music of Mendelson and his sister. A good artist also, can still buy prints of his famous Scottish drawings in Scotland.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany      Info on Bock nibs

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Pens/inks/paper on hold for a year....new addiction pocket watch chains. :happyberet:

#58 Strelnikoff

Strelnikoff

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2017 - 23:21

I like the '50-65 era semi-flex and maxi-semi-flex nibs of Soennecken, MB, Pelikan, Kaweco, Osmia/Osmia-Faber-Castell and Geha. I like their obliques too the only ones I can say has line variation. All these nibs will be stubs.

The nibs are 1/2 a width narrower than modern.

Lamy/ and a few others are nails.

German Ebay. First you have to make sure the seller takes Paypal, in we normally use bank wire which is as cheap here as checks...in the EU. A bank wire outside the EU will cost you $35.

Then you have to make sure the seller will ship to your country.....many refuse to ship outside of Germany.

German postal costs are lots less than US.

German has at least 7 words for fountain pen....and some good poster gave me another but I don't know where I put that word. These will get you started. Copy because the umlaut is the spelling. Füller...not fuller.

xxxxxxxxxx

Pelikan (füllhalter, füllfederhalter, füller, kolbenfüller, "fountain pen")

That should list probably every pen that has Lamy and one of the terms in brackets in it's title. Maybe this is helpful for you :-)
Füller, FüllfederhalterFüllhalter , Füllfeder, Kolben Füller, kolbenfüller, Schulfüller.

SCHREIBGERÄTE...writing instrument  

(&who’d thought it?) Fountain pen, Fountainpen, Füllhalter-Ständer (pen stand) ö ä

nib only

Füller-Feder, Füllfederhalter-FederFüllhalter-Feder,  Federhalter-Feder, Feder, Federspitze für Tinte (for ink), Feder für Füllfederhalter,

Hi, haben sie, feder im Fine dafur?...have you the nib in Fine

Vier danke!

I still maintain some connection to Norway - where I lived for past couple of years (before moving back to Texas) so the payment would be handled withing European system... although Norway is not in EU, but the bank transfers are equal. One thing may be the shipping, but then again... let's try it :)

#59 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

Pen Snob

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,257 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 01:15

Yes, that's me :D

Edit: "was me" is more accurate...

I checked out the auction.  As soon as I see Rob Morrison, it all becomes clear.

2019 San Francisco Pen Show        
August 23-25th, 2019
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

#60 chromantic

chromantic

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,898 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2017 - 04:36

Recently I made the offer of 60 bucks for a rare pen but the seller declined, prefering to wait for the auction to end.

Turned out that I was the only bidder & got the pen for 10 bucks instead, feeling a bit sorry for the seller, who decided not to give me a review, which I thought was small-minded - after all, I made a good offer (well, in hindsight at least, it was good  :P ).

I was bidding on a Pelikan and jumped my max bid up to $1xx to counter someone who'd been doing the dollar increments until they'd passed my previous max of $1xx; figured I was good but then they swooped in at the last minute and sniped it.

Two weeks later, identical pen from same seller is up. I asked seller if it was same pen or a second one, they said same pen, winner didn't pay up. I'm a little surprised seller didn't offer me a "second chance" sale (that's how I ended up getting my first M300), as that would be a fast $1xx. As it is, I'm again high bidder  but at $xx currently and it was only me and that other person once past a certain amount.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ebay, auction, bidding

Sponsored Content

|