One Of The Rare Ones! Montblanc Dumas Autograph Set.

Bisquitlips

I am just beginning research on this MB Dumas Autograph Set and have been over to fountainpen.de which is typically a good first stop on the journey of discovery. They mention that it is known to be a rare set in its own right, but not much beyond that. They have a link to more information, however the link is dead. (I will notify the site.)

I would really like to know why MB decided to create an Autograph set which I have to say is really nice. I like the "handwritten" note, and photo as well as the larger book box that contains all the pieces of the collection.

I am sure the "handwritten" note is a facsimile, but I must concede it is a very good one that must have taken some effort to create. Linen, watermarked, antiqued or antique paper, same with the ink, and so forth. I am sure it was not inexpensive to fabricate.

Could someone point me to any resources that might shed some light on this set?

My Compliments!

34988526565_dff07325cd_c.jpg

34988506755_a1c287bb6c_z.jpg

Edited by Bisquitlips

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."  - Selwyn Duke    

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zaddick

• Bisquitlips

• admmarcos

• penparadise

I would really like to know why MB decided to create an Autograph set

The answer is simple ... at that time, the Dumas pens (as well as other Writers editions from that time) did not sell well. Thus, Montblanc developed some extras to foster sales.

www.fountainpen.de - the website for Montblanc and Astoria collectors

logo.gif

Interesting. I think there are another edition that was make like this one. I even prefer that previous editions than the newest ones: we are seeing that MB is launching two versions for WE. But the desing, materials, and so one, are getting quite not interesting (since Tolstoy for example, and with the Saint Exupery what made me very disapointed).

Anyway, my taste is more like Poe, Dumas, Voltaire, Kafka, Dickens (which I have). Actual WE are getting somewhat simpler than the previous editions.

The answer is simple ... at that time, the Dumas pens (as well as other Writers editions from that time) did not sell well. Thus, Montblanc developed some extras to foster sales.

I think the same occured with the Christmas set of Dickens edition.

I think the same occured with the Christmas set of Dickens edition.

Dickens, Kafka, Wilde, and Dumas for sure had these fancier sets. Also I recall at least the Wilde and the Dumas had fancy framed pictures, reproduced writing samples, and a mounted mechanical pencil.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

There was also an extra fancy Peter and Catherine POA set.

Dickens, Kafka, Wilde, and Dumas for sure had these fancier sets. Also I recall at least the Wilde and the Dumas had fancy framed pictures, reproduced writing samples, and a mounted mechanical pencil.

... and Schiller.

As Michael said, it was created to increase the sales. And @ Bisquitlips: Yes, the printings are facsimile.

Axel

Montblanc collector since 1968. Former owner of the Montblanc Boutique Bremen, retired 2007 and sold it.
Collecting Montblanc safeties, eyedroppers, lever fillers, button fillers, compressors - all from 1908 - 1929,
Montblanc ephemera and paraphernalia from 1908 to 1929,
Montblanc Meisterstück from 1924 up to the 50s,
Montblanc special and limited editions from 1991 to 2006

Excellent, EXCELLENT information all! Just what I was looking for!

What does it mean "a mounted mechanical pencil"? I see it mounted in the box with the BP and FP, but not sure if you are talking about some other type of mount.

Thank you! Genuinely appreciated!

Edited by Bisquitlips

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."  - Selwyn Duke    

Excellent, EXCELLENT information all! Just what I was looking for!

What does it mean "a mounted mechanical pencil"? I see it mounted in the box with the BP and FP, but not sure if you are talking about some other type of mount.

Thank you! Genuinely appreciated!

I will upload a photo after I take it tonight. It is like a shadowbox frame, not at all related to the book box.

Here is the frame. It is pretty good size.

fpn_1496378735__20170601_204601_resized.

here is the little description on the back:

fpn_1496378789__20170601_204705_resized.

Thank you Zaddick! Is this your photo? If not, would you mind sharing where you found it?

My Compliments!

Richard

Thank you Zaddick! Is this your photo? If not, would you mind sharing where you found it?

My Compliments!

Richard

Yeah, that is my terrible late evening cell phone photo on the carpet runner by my front door. :^)

I have seen these frames for the Wilde and the Dumas pencils. There may be others in the series, but they were not too cheap so I think sales were limited. I'll see if I can find photos of others and provide links.

The funny thing is this sits on a shelf behind a lot of other family photos, and the pencil is hidden. If you do not recognize Dumas, it simply looks like some old, long gone great uncle with some note he wrote. :)

Please note: I am not affiliated in any way with these sellers nor do i endorse their products. I am providing links for illustrative purposes and to credit their images.

Ha! ha! Boy, eBay is a wonder. Here is one for sale right now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Montblanc-Dumas-Writers-Series-Pencil-factory-framed-presentation-/222504583340

I am not sure I agree with all the superlatives this seller uses regarding rarity, but there are fairly uncommon and the orgin story sounds correct from what I learned previously. If you want to pay close to that price, feel free to PM me and my "old great uncle" can become yours. ;)

This site shows the Wilde. it claims only 60 were produced. That sounds believeable to me.

http://www.pensinasia.com/oscar_frame.htm

Edited by zaddick

As I recall, these framed items only included the mechanical pencil. The pencils were not sold separately but as parts of the fountain pen, ball point pen and pencil sets. Sales were not "robust" for the sets. There were no problems selling the fountain pens or ball point pens as individual items, but then what to do with the pencils. The "AH HA" marketing moment led to these. (At least that is what I recall and as they say, memory is the second thing to go, and I forgot what the first was.)

• 2 weeks later...

As I recall, these framed items only included the mechanical pencil. The pencils were not sold separately but as parts of the fountain pen, ball point pen and pencil sets. Sales were not "robust" for the sets. There were no problems selling the fountain pens or ball point pens as individual items, but then what to do with the pencils. The "AH HA" marketing moment led to these. (At least that is what I recall and as they say, memory is the second thing to go, and I forgot what the first was.)

Makes perfect sense!

One of the interesting things to me is that the pencils, for most of the sets, were very rare when compared to the FPs as typically you could only get the pencils by purchasing the sets. Just proves that rarity does not always equal desirability. :)

Very interested to know that! For me, it is all new information. Thanks for sharing, but I need to say that I would prefer the pencils to write with. ;)