Wahl Oxford Flex Nib Questions

MercianScribe

Hello all,

Am I right in saying earlier Oxfords have the nibs marked Wahl Oxford and a number, and sometimes 'flex' and later ones are the Select-O-Point series?

Are all No 2s flexible? I gather No 3s are flexible too? What are the differences?

And I would guess that all the Select-O-Point C are fine flex, but how do they compare to the Wahl Oxford numbered series?

And would anyone with knowledge of other vintage flex makers care to say if there is any advantage with Oxfords as inexpensive flex compared to more expensive Wahls or other famous flex brands like Watermans and Swan... for example, is there any point picking up a couple of different flexy Oxfords for general writing and light calligraphic practice on the way, or is it worth not visiting the Oxfords at all and just holding out and saving up for one of the big boys like a Wahl Doric, a Conklin or a Waterman 52? Obviously, this will be hugely subjective, but I welcome any input.

Excuse me if these are daft questions... maybe I'm daft! I have had a wee look around with the search facility though and couldn't find anything.

Hi, I'm Mat

:)

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MercianScribe

• FarmBoy

Nobody knows anything...?!

Oh well, bit of info for anyone out there out there out there out theeeeeeere!!!

Just got my Wahl Oxford (second series?) brown/gold marble, and it's beautiful. It has a Select-O-Point C Fine Flex nib on it... and although I've only dip-tested it so far, it seems to have a full range of flex from (X)F - M (F side...)!! Very disappointed! May be a nib to feed setting problem, but I don't see why that should be as I think it's the original and there's just no give in it - how they marketed it as flex I've no idea. Oh well.

Hi, I'm Mat

I don't believe it is a requirement that your pen have a flex nib. More likely it does not have a flex nib.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I don't understand your comment! :)

My nib is marked 'Select-O-Point C Fine flex' and they were specifically marketed as fine flex, so why would it not be a requirement...? :rolleyes:

And the rest of my post was about which Wahl Oxford pens have flex nibs, i.e. in the older numbering system with nib imprints of 'Wahl Oxford #n'.

Hi, I'm Mat

My nib is marked 'Select-O-Point C Fine flex' and they were specifically marketed as fine flex, so why would it not be a requirement...? :rolleyes:

And the rest of my post was about which Wahl Oxford pens have flex nibs, i.e. in the older numbering system with nib imprints of 'Wahl Oxford #n'.

I was attempting to say that it is not a requirement that all W-O pens have a flexible nib. More often that not, they have a stiff nib. NO not all #2 nibs are flexible for example. Nibs marked fine flexible would all be fine flexible. 2 is the nib size.

I too am confused. You seem to be unhappy with the flex of the nib marked flex. I would postulate that this is typically because expectations of what a flex nib is and how it responds today have no bearing on what a flex nib is and how it responded when produced. Nibs don't flex from xf to bbbb. You can flex a nib any amount you want with the application of enough pressure but that only proves every nib will flex at least once.

In all these views I seem to be in the minority though I have good company. Your flex may vary, I typically find none where others find pasta.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I was attempting to say that it is not a requirement that all W-O pens have a flexible nib. More often that not, they have a stiff nib. NO not all #2 nibs are flexible for example. Nibs marked fine flexible would all be fine flexible.

I too am confused. You seem to be unhappy with the flex of the nib marked flex. I would postulate that this is typically because expectations of what a flex nib is and how it responds today have no bearing on what a flex nib is and how it responded when produced. Nibs don't flex from xf to bbbb. You can flex a nib any amount you want with the application of enough pressure but that only proves every nib will flex at least once.

In all these views I seem to be in the minority though I have good company. Your flex may vary, I typically find none where others find pasta.

Edited by FarmBoy

Postulate away, old bean!

I have several vintage flex pens, and what I have seen described and would myself describe as semi-flex (including another Eversharp, a Skyline), plus several modern 'flex' (Noodlers, FPR etc) and some pens old and modern with 14CT and steel, like a Wearever Zenith, Hero 187 and Daiso Silver that give reasonable line variation but I wouldn't describe as flex at all. I am also familiar with a number of old and modern dip pen nibs and their performance.

My statement on the flexibility of my nib was a little jokey; understatement for effect - sorry if that didn't come across. It basically doesn't flex, or even semi-flex, or even have more than a barely discernible modicum of line variation. To be honest, considering Wahl is such a famous company, with those renowned adjustable Dorics etc, and with my experience of the Skyline I had, I found that quite surprising to say the least, and was wondering if it was something to do with the way the nib is set into the feed. Hence that part of the first post - asking for more info of people's experience of the Select-O-Point C Fine Flex.

So yes, I am unhappy about the nib marked flex. I am aware of your opinions and your manner of schooling people abruptly in what could be considered and might not be considered flex (that's all fair enough), through having read many of your posts, and I am also conversant in and mostly agree with the opinions of Mauricio Aguilar, with whom you generally seem to agree if I understand correctly. But still, with a historical perspective, with a little brand-specific and general experience, with a fairly informed opinion of the many meanings of flex to many people... I am still unhappy with the nib marked flex! :D

Thanks also for your answer about Wahl Oxford No 2 not always being flexible.

This thread now appears to be getting to be like getting blood out of nib...! :) :rolleyes: :)

Hi, I'm Mat