Knox Finally Made A Good Nib! (#5 Obb Oblique Double Broad)

Honeybadgers

Cheap #5 nib pens rejoice!

I have used many knox cheapo nibs in the past of #5 and #6 flavors, always F/EF/M and have been pretty underwhelmed. Rather blah, a bit scratchy, hard as nails, not very interesting when a goulet, jowo, or nemosine is roughly the same price.

But through idle amazon browsing one night I noticed this. Interesting. I've never actually used an oblique broad/double broad.

For $13.50 shipped I was willing to take a gamble on it. They also sell a #6 OBB and a smaller OB in #5 (waiting on the regular OB and the #6 OBB now)

I am stunned. This is a wet, crisply ground oblique double broad that has a lovely sweet spot and is like writing on buttered, oiled glass. Check out the demo video, I had to turn my fan off because the nib is so quiet you can't hear it slide across the paper (excuse my awful handwriting and jankey angles, I have to set my phone up and then write at an angle around it)

The grind on it is lovely, a very comfortable angle with a nice sweet spot, but ground crisply enough that it doesn't have any paintbrush like rough edges when writing. No baby's bottom, no rough edges, no singing or tooth at all. I'm not normally a huge fan of super smooth nibs, I like tight, deliberate feedback, but this is on a whole new level of smooth without any baby's bottom issues that I have simply never experienced in such a comfortable to write with package. I still like my Loom and custom jowo 18k twsbi nib, but this thing is good enough that I used my noodlers charlie all week while writing patient charts in baystate blue, and am in LOVE. This thing puts the lamy steel B and TWSBI B nibs to utter shame in terms of smoothness and tight, clean line edges.

Reverse writes well too, just hold it at the same angle and it's a hair toothy but flows enough and produces a western EF line, definitely usable!

It's also a hair soft for a steel nib. Not springy at all, but will flex a tad for a bit broader, wetter line when pressed down on, and doesn't spring.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/popnsplat/pens/20170528_164515_zps8ci3azw2.jpg http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/popnsplat/pens/20170528_164643_zpskx6j2btk.jpg

I replaced the nib in my noodlers charlie filled with baystate blue and immediately ordered another thinking this one had to be a fluke. Stuck it on my Jinhao 992 that had a rather boring fine nib and it was exactly the same, sinfully smooth, wet but not gushing writer, and is probably going to be next week's pen of choice filled with noodlers golden brown.

I'm now waiting on the regular OB #5 nib for a nib creaper, as well as a #6 OBB for a ranga 3c. I can't believe how good this nib is, even moreso that it's made by Knox.

Long story short, it's a unique, hard to find nib that will fit one of the best new jinhao models, the 992, as well as the iconic little noodler's charlie (which everyone has to have along with a mandatory bottle of the infamous baystate blue) and if you have a nib creaper or other little #5 nibbed pen lying around that you don't use, pick up one of these little things on amazon, you will NOT be disappointed!

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• Honeybadgers

• Bo Bo Olson

• IndigoBOB

For real line variation, one 'must' go German '50-65 era, in oblique. The nib will be a stub semi-flex.

I have some 13 in a mix of semi&maxi-semi-flex.

By pure luck I have 15&30 degree grinds in OBB, OB, OM & OF.

The standard sized Geha 790 is semi-flex....I have one in OB.... :puddle: It is the best buy....if you hunt German Ebay for someone who takes Paypal and mails out of Germany it is affordable....with luck under E/$30....up to E/$50 or so. Do not Buy Now. :angry:

Geha competed vs Pelikan and is it's equal.

A 140 costs now @ E90-110....is now over priced. One can find '50's 400's for about that. Make sure it has a four rill/comb feed. 400nn holds the most ink. And tortoise is no more expensive than normal on German Ebay........if you stay away from Buy Now.

Has three ring jewel cap..........the no ring is the student pen/with serial number, also a very good buy for a true regular flex nib that use to be normal issue.

There is a 2 ring one too, but I was always too broke to buy it....it will be semi-flex also. That one was aimed at the Pelikan 140. Don't remember the number. I have three 790's and a 760...which also has three rings but costs more. It is medium small that posts as long as a standard pen, like the 140. Medium small was very IN, back then. 760, 140 Kaweco Dia, Osmia made one that size too. A real good shirt pocket pen...for modern too short to be of any use shirt pockets.

790 Geha, torpedo was IN....Swan, MB 146/9 and 400nn.

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o707/boboolson1/B6FmJVwB2kKGrHqEOKm4EyyFEhzKZBMwIPTRw_12_zpskew3nmrm.jpg

Modern Obliques....ie after '65-70, are no good, really. I have a W. Germany OM 200....not quite. I've trans-mailed 200 Obliques....nope. Same with Nails....had a Lamy 18K Personal OB nail (stayed in the box until made CI)......absolutely nothing, same with my Lamy 27 OM, which was sold.

If you are left eye dominate and cant your nib therefor, or write left handed I could see buying a modern oblique..............but don't expect any real line variation.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Saying it's "no good" without any experience is kind of... rude. seeing as it's a $13 nib and my (and your) opinion are completely subjective.

It's glassy smooth, wonderful writing nib. And while I have been looking for a geha 790 (mostly because you make this post in every single post anyone makes about obliques) but have been SOL in finding one. There is a point where we have to make concessions that the vintage market is getting pretty untenable, and a hell of a lot of people are definitely not willing to try and find some #2 semiflex vintage unicorn nib to put into a jinhao 992 just to have a more interesting writing experience when this one does the job beautifully.

It's also a terrible idea to discourage the purchase and support of more oddball nib grinds. It's like some people actively want there to only be EF, F, M, and B. Sure a noodlers konrad is no true flex pen, but it has definitely piqued people's interest in them and arguably revitalized the interest to the point of the creation of the karas kustom titanium, pilot falcon, aurora 88 flex, etc. and further interest in more and more flexible nibs is going to drive the companies to support that interest more and more.

Having never used one, this was a great exposure to determine if I even wanted to buy a more expensive semiflex one, which I now do, and was a great way to revitalize my interest in some cheap pens.

It's kind of silly to categorically imply that a subjective thing is objectively bad.

I wasn't implying that there was any real line variation, only that you can make it a little broader and wetter, for a steel nib, with pressure, and it doesn't remain nail hard like a steel lamy nib or spring like cheap chinese potmetal. The way this nib writes is like a broad/double broad with super clean, crisp edges and a lovely sweet spot.

No offense, but I'm personally getting really tired of the attitudes of a few people here that jump into every thread and insist that nothing could possibly compare to their vintage pens. I love my vintage stuff, for sure, but everything has its place, and a lot of people, newbies included, are too new with the hobby to feel comfortable jumping into vintage prices.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Well, I just ordered one from Birmingham pens. They had some of the two-tone #6 OBB nibs. As I prefer extra-fine nibs as a rule, it'll be interesting to see how it works for me.

Thanks for alerting me to its existence Honeybadgers.

First I've heard of Knox nibs. Is there a list somewhere of what they're compatible with?

Knox makes regular old #5 and #6 nibs. They'll fit the jinhao 992, 599, noodlers charlie and nib creaper, any standard #5 (and I believe vintage #2, but someone correct me if I'm wrong there) pen.

the #6 fits basically everything, jinhao x750, x450, 159, ahab/konrad/neponset, VAC700, ranga, etc.

I will warn you that their #6 nibs are thoroughly mediocre (we'll see how the OBB they send me handles, but I have high hopes) and for things like 1.1 stub, EF, F, M, and B, you're much better off with a nemosine or goulet #6 nib.

Personally I think one of the coolest combos this nib has is with the 4.5oz bottle of baystate blue, you get the "free" charlie eyedropper that can be dedicated to the eye searing blue, and then you get the supersmooth, super crisp OBB nib to REALLY show off the color.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Steel Geha nibs on the 790's are just as good as the gold.

You have to look in German Ebay....not the States. The seller must take Paypal and mail to the States. There are idiots who are too cheap to use Paypal......a bank transfer will cost you $35 in you are out side the Euro zone. We use bank transfer which is faster and no more expensive than using a check in the States.

I trout the 790 in it is the best buy, 'cheap' pen, and it's nibs are perhaps a tad better than the Pelikan '50-65 nibs. Two fine posters said so, I checked my Geha's of that era vs my Pelikans and agree.

I do want you to have the best experience...........or anyone else..........so I recommend only German nibs from the '50-70 era, in they are stubs in semi or maxi-semi-flex, and having had lesser obliques say so.

Sometimes you get what you pay for.

I am glad your Knox nib meets all your present requirements. :happyberet:

I must be at fault the 790 has doubled in price over the last half a decade since I started trouting them.

I have three 790's all different nibs in black and gold, a half gray stripped 760 and a 725....another pen I trout.

I do have 26 semi-flex, 13-15 maxi-semi-flex and in a mix of both flexes 13 obliques from that era.

Inked right now a Pelikan 140 OB, two '50's 400's OM&OF, and a Geha 760 OB.

Having noticed in another post, your handwriting is 150% better than mine.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Cheap #5 nib pens rejoice!

I have used many knox cheapo nibs in the past of #5 and #6 flavors, always F/EF/M and have been pretty underwhelmed. Rather blah, a bit scratchy, hard as nails, not very interesting when a goulet, jowo, or nemosine is roughly the same price.

But through idle amazon browsing one night I noticed this. Interesting. I've never actually used an oblique broad/double broad.

For $13.50 shipped I was willing to take a gamble on it. They also sell a #6 OBB and a smaller OB in #5 (waiting on the regular OB and the #6 OBB now)

I am stunned. This is a wet, crisply ground oblique double broad that has a lovely sweet spot and is like writing on buttered, oiled glass. Check out the demo video, I had to turn my fan off because the nib is so quiet you can't hear it slide across the paper (excuse my awful handwriting and jankey angles, I have to set my phone up and then write at an angle around it)

The grind on it is lovely, a very comfortable angle with a nice sweet spot, but ground crisply enough that it doesn't have any paintbrush like rough edges when writing. No baby's bottom, no rough edges, no singing or tooth at all. I'm not normally a huge fan of super smooth nibs, I like tight, deliberate feedback, but this is on a whole new level of smooth without any baby's bottom issues that I have simply never experienced in such a comfortable to write with package. I still like my Loom and custom jowo 18k twsbi nib, but this thing is good enough that I used my noodlers charlie all week while writing patient charts in baystate blue, and am in LOVE. This thing puts the lamy steel B and TWSBI B nibs to utter shame in terms of smoothness and tight, clean line edges.

Reverse writes well too, just hold it at the same angle and it's a hair toothy but flows enough and produces a western EF line, definitely usable!

It's also a hair soft for a steel nib. Not springy at all, but will flex a tad for a bit broader, wetter line when pressed down on, and doesn't spring.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/popnsplat/pens/20170528_164515_zps8ci3azw2.jpg http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/popnsplat/pens/20170528_164643_zpskx6j2btk.jpg

I replaced the nib in my noodlers charlie filled with baystate blue and immediately ordered another thinking this one had to be a fluke. Stuck it on my Jinhao 992 that had a rather boring fine nib and it was exactly the same, sinfully smooth, wet but not gushing writer, and is probably going to be next week's pen of choice filled with noodlers golden brown.

I'm now waiting on the regular OB #5 nib for a nib creaper, as well as a #6 OBB for a ranga 3c. I can't believe how good this nib is, even moreso that it's made by Knox.

Long story short, it's a unique, hard to find nib that will fit one of the best new jinhao models, the 992, as well as the iconic little noodler's charlie (which everyone has to have along with a mandatory bottle of the infamous baystate blue) and if you have a nib creaper or other little #5 nibbed pen lying around that you don't use, pick up one of these little things on amazon, you will NOT be disappointed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI5id3M0ngM

Welcome to the broad side of the Force! We have cookies.

I definitely didn't expect this thing to CHEW through ink like it does. it's even tuned fairly dry for a charlie feed, and I've more than half emptied the eyedropper from a COMPLETE fill in a week of taking notes and charting.

I kinda like it. Ink always lasts too long in my non-flex pens anyways.

The broader nibs do. It's something you have to get used to. Taking daily notes with an O3B Montblanc 149 is enough to drain it's tank in less than two days. The broader nibs are awesome though, and it's worth the refilling. I'll have to check out those pens.

"Oh deer."

Thanks for the heads up about these cheap oblique nibs!

I'm looking forward to reading your experiences with the additional Knox obliques you have in the mail.

I hope they're all as good as the first one you got!

If these all turn out to be winners, then a Knox OB sounds like just what I need to stick in a new shiny red Jinhao 991 for grading papers. :thumbup:

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

How does the line width on this OBB compare to something like a Pelikan BB nib? The Pelikan BB is so broad that my writing looked like it was done with a sharpie. From the photos the Knox nib doesn't look as broad.

How does the line width on this OBB compare to something like a Pelikan BB nib? The Pelikan BB is so broad that my writing looked like it was done with a sharpie. From the photos the Knox nib doesn't look as broad.

I don't have a pelikan in my collection yet (I'm kind of hesitant since they are kind of notorious for not writing super well out of the box - will likely go for a MB before my first pelikan) but I will say that this writes closer to a standard broad than a wacky BB. you can see in my video that I'm writing in a way that fits the 5mm dot spacing and it's completely legible. This is basically just the broadest #5 I've ever found that wasn't a stub, and also happens to be an oblique with crisp lines and glassy smooth, wet writing.

I can confirm that the OB is a hair thinner and identically smooth. The OBB #6 is about the same as the OB #5 (not quite as wide as the OBB #5) and also like glass. No line variation, just mega smoothness, wet and crisp lines.

Edited by Honeybadgers

I can confirm that the OB is a hair thinner and identically smooth. The OBB #6 is about the same as the OB #5 (not quite as wide as the OBB #5) and also like glass. No line variation, just mega smoothness, wet and crisp lines.

Very helpful information. Thanks! These do look like some fun nibs.

If you want oblique, the real thing is the '50-65 era, and they write well having no box. :rolleyes:

A lot of folks have no problems with new Pelikans....my three new ones were just fine.....as were my 13-14 semi-vintage '82-97 and vintage post war & '50-65 ones...

I will admit some say most of the time their Pelikans are ok....one guy complains a lot about every time he bought a Pelikan....and he made that 'mistake' quite often to hear him tell it. :huh:

I don't like the new Pelikans outside the 200 in the nibs are fat and blobby semi-nails like the 400/600 or nails like the 800. The 1000 is way too huge for me.

I prefer the '50-60's MBs over newer. My medium-large 146 is a maxi-semi-flex...would expect at least a semi-flex. It is a very finely balanced pen. I don't find the modern large 146 to have that balance. I have a '70-80's one...feed tells the ear....and it is 'true' regular flex.

My Woolf like most modern MB's is a 'Springy' nib, @ like a Falcon....not as good as a Lamy Imporium, which is a better springy nib.

I think it was the 1912 or what ever that 'newer' model was with a name similar, that many raved about it's nib. I tried it at the airport.....I was disappointed, expecting at least semi-flex. Not even as good as my MB 234 1/2 Deluxe ('52-54 only) KOB.

I've no desire to buy a new Pelikan or MB.............I got to find out if the section of the new Imporium fits the old Persona....now that Imporium had a great 'springy' 2 X tine spread nib...and lots of neat color combos.

• 8 months later...

Nice feedback on the nib. It doesn't seem like there's much line variation. But there does seem like there may be some as I expected the line to be fatter with a Double Broad. I'm curious about these nibs.

I'm definitely interested in finding a #6 oblique with good line variation though... without a nibmeister that is.

I'm definitely interested in finding a #6 oblique with good line variation though... without a nibmeister that is.

I don't know if that's possible, but fpnibs.com customize their #6 nibs for a really low price. My JoWo #6 1.1 oblique cursive italic is amazing!

I don't know if that's possible, but fpnibs.com customize their #6 nibs for a really low price. My JoWo #6 1.1 oblique cursive italic is amazing!

Yah, I slowly gleaned my way to them completely unknowing of such a find I would reach as I'm sure you realize in your thread :).

I'm eagerly awaiting my emails from fpnibs :happy: .

For anyone who wants one of these Knox oblique nibs, they don't seem to be available on Amazon anymore, but you can get them at Birminghampens.com.

For an additional $5 you can even have them come installed in a metal Chinese pen in various models. There's free domestic shipping on orders over $30, so it's a good excuse to buy 3 nibs haha.

I've got a #5 OB, #5 OBB, and #6 OB on the way.