A.w. Faber 992 Ef Grey And Gold

nora_ciel

Good morning everybody!

I'm new to this community and first i want to write a few things about me. My name is Nora and i study architecture in cologne (germany). Maybe that's the reason why writing instruments have always fascinated me! A few weeks ago i inherited some pens, pencils and other wonderful old things by a good friend of my grandpa (he was a technical drawer)! There are also some 1950s Rotring Rapidograph in their original packaging!

But now i will come to my original question. Among the items was also a "old looking" pen by A.W. Faber in a beautiful grey with gold details (i wonder if they are real gold?). The nib says Osmia 14K 585 and the model of the pen seems to be 992 EF. Can anyone tell me what the EF behind the number means? And how old could this pen be? I think it was made in the 1950s, but correct me if i'm wrong! I Couldn't find anything about this model....so i would be very happy if you could tell me something about it! I think it is a beautiful pen and i'm looking forward to use it!

I'm super excited and looking forward to your answers!

Have a nice sunny day

Nora (i hope my english is okay)

post-136947-0-39586800-1495957324_thumb.jpg

post-136947-0-06280400-1495957333_thumb.jpg

post-136947-0-22564100-1495957341_thumb.jpg

post-136947-0-91095600-1495957351_thumb.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nora_ciel

• Ink Stained Wretch

• ehemem

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If the nib says that it is 14K, then it is a gold nib. And the EF means that it is an extra fine nib tip. And this is just a guess, but I think the pen dates from the 1950s or 1960s. Does the piston work?

I think something in the pen is broken...could be the seal. I could get some ink into the pen but not very much and it does not write properly.

It's more scratching on paper...do you have any tipps how i can fix this problem?

I think something in the pen is broken...could be the seal. I could get some ink into the pen but not very much and it does not write properly.

It's more scratching on paper...do you have any tipps how i can fix this problem?

Hi, Nora. Your English is fine. What I would do is to soak the nib and feed of the pen by putting it nib down in a glass of water, but only let the water come up about half way up the gripping section. The gripping section is where your fingers go when you writer with a pen. You might want to leave it like that for a couple of days, since this appears to be a fountain pen that hasn't been used in a long time.

You should see some ink in the water after a while, maybe even right away. In that case change the water, and keep doing that for as long as you see ink getting into the water.

In the end you may need to send the pen to a professional who can probably fix it. Whether that would be cost effective will be up to you.

And :W2FPN: !

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell