All Hands On Deck For Plantugnum ...

Dickkooty2

Thank you, johnmc2, for the correct spelling and, for me, pronunciation and origin of Platginum.

... in this 1930 ad for the popular line:

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj157/dick168/Plantignum%20ad%201930_zpsmrlyellj.jpegThe Platignum House was in Tudor Grove Hackney E9. In 1922 the company was called Mentmore Manufacturing after its location at 16 Mentmore Terrace Hackney E8. The move took place from E8 to E9 two years later.

Today both areas seem to have been rebuilt after the war into flats and then gentrified into flat/studios/artisanel what-have-you. I imagine this is a far cry from its redevelopment at the beginning of the XXth C as an industrial/manufacturing district.

I tried for some photos of the original locations. Both are tony residential areas. Here is 16 Mentmore Terrace, the gated empty space between 15 and 17. Across the street are the arches shops of the elevated railroad bridge. The shops, too, have been grandly gentrified from their more humble beginnings as cheap lets for workshops/storage/garages.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj157/dick168/16%20mentmore%20terr%20Plantig_zps6ny5lf0m.png

I am not a Platignum collector. When I was with Parker, we were in competition.

As you can tell, I am just running off at the mouth, Will someone with real knowledge chime in with actual facts on the company and the area?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dickkooty2

• sciumbasci

• DasKaltblut

• Astronymus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Platignum (not Plantugnum or Plantignum) name arose simply by inserting a letter 'g' into the word Platinum. Platinum was already in use as a pen brand. I don't know why the Mentmore company didn't bother finding a more original name.

The budget range of the Mentmore Co's pens, Platignum pens are today remembered unkindly by generations of former Commonwealth schoolchildren of the sixties and seventies. Along with Osmiroid, they were the cheapies entrusted to us hamfisted adolescents.

Having said that, there is at least one good Platignum pen, the 1960s 14ct nib model as shown below. Smallish, but a good writer and made from quite reasonable materials. Pressac filler. The caps are prone to corrosion, but if you can find a good one, it will make a reliable everyday writer. Name another pen with a 14ct nib you can buy for a couple of quid on eBay?

34551643300_084dc06bbc.jpg34806814441_ee510b7a37.jpg

Here's another nice-looking Platignum for sale on NZ's Trademe site. Damaged and without a nib, but you can see this was once a good-looking pen. 34128712463_298060df0e.jpg

Here's another nice-looking Platignum for sale on NZ's Trademe site. Damaged and without a nib, but you can see this was once a good-looking pen. 34128712463_298060df0e.jpg

... and this set seems to be in the above old advert at 2'6.

NB The Passing Show was a popular weekly in the UK 'between the wars'. What little tone and style I can divine from reading the back of the advert, it appears to have been in a "U" voice with stories and tales to match. The drawings were an important part as were the covers. The New Yorker was started in this 'between the wars' time and continues to this day writing to the same although less entirely class-defined audience.

Here is a cover from the 30s:

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj157/dick168/1930s-uk-the-passing-show-magazine-cover-EXT1R7_zpssar1myyo.jpg

... apologies to Alamy Stock Photos from whom I did not purchase the rights for use in this blog for $20.00

Anyone with real knowledge like johnmc2 is encouraged to share their nuggets with the pathetic poster!

Here's another reasonable Platignum pen, the 1950s "Goldtone" which was a lever-filler with a screw-in steel nib. The cap is brass, with a silvery plating, probably the same as the "Permobrite" used on Mentmore pens like the "46". I sold this one a few years ago, fully serviced, for an astounding NZ$20...

34151022523_461b61080e.jpg

34151021783_36a946a6e4.jpg34574222120_7a65878cc7.jpg

The smoothest writing pen I've ever owned was a Platignum in the late 1970s. Yes, it was cheap and utilitarian. I bought it at a newsagent in Hurstville for probably less than AUD 2.00. I have one of similar vintage amongst my collectibles. I also have a few of the modern renditions, a Number 1, a Number 4 and a number 5 that are good sturdy, everyday, knock-about pens. But then I like them for the sake of old times and good memories the bring back when I use the vintage one. No, a Platignum, vintage or modern, will never impress anyone the way a more up market Conway Stewart, Pelikan or Mont Blanc will, but there is no drama if I lose a Platignum, or one of the grandkids puts a 90 degree bend in a nib as has happened in the past.

Edited by ParramattaPaul

there are very few that I'd feel happy writing with now - but back in the late 1950s these mainly steel nibbed pens were for the sons/daughters of the working class, so like it or not that's what a lot of school children were given - and post WW II there are few that had gold nibs as standard - the Pressmatic was one, the 'Statesman' another, and Stephen Hull includes the '100 Capillary pen'. I've looked at my two examples of this model and they both seem to be steel nibs - either that or my eyesight going. But the market for a cheap f.p. was there and Platignum made hay whilst the sun shone.

All the pens in the two attached pix are Platignum - if nothing else they show a good variety of British f.p. design - albeit some designs possibly taken from other manufacturers, but if you have an interest in British pen development from 1920s to late 1970s they show much innovation .............. ink-locks, ink-views - lever-sac fill, cartridges, breather tubes, and taken, probably from Parker's failed P61, the 100 capillary pen with fully hooded nib - have to say I've never filled mine so no idea as to how they might write.

Sorry, but I don't follow the comment about Parker and Platignum being 'in competition' - my experience of the type of quality produced by these factories would surely put each on a different planet.

The quality of plastics on pens such as Platignum and Osmiroid left much to be desired - shrinkage was a big problem, and Osmiroid in particular seem to suffer more than Platignum ............ caps seemed to have a problem with fitting after a time - but I think I'd cease writing if Osmiroid was the only available pen. :) (in fact I don't write anyway - apart from a few dip tests).

Anyone know if you can get a cartridge converter or carts for the good old platignums ? I brought my old school calligraphy set down from my folks a few years back, but presently it remains unused.

http://i.imgur.com/q7iyfoS.jpg

(on taking the photo I noticed some cracks in some of the nibs and the barrel.)

Edited by dapprman

there are certainly Platignum cartridges currently being sold on Ebay - assume they only did one size, but really not sure. With older f.ps. it's always a good idea to keep an old empty cartridge that comes with a pen - if you can't quickly or easily buy new ones, then at least you can fill an old one from a pipette or hypo.

No idea if converters will fit such a pen.

Assume you mean cracks in the plastic unit that houses the nib - rather than the actual nib itself. This could give you a problem insofar as ink might leak when in use - such cracks are not uncommon in these units.

Platignum was bought by a Chinese company who've relaunched the brand and I'm not sure if the carts are the same (they almost look like long international). Anyone compared the two ?

I hope you dont mind if I post a picture of a 1935 Platignum.

This pen was given to my great grandmother as a school child. Inscribed on the pen is

A gift from the West Riding Council to mark the Silver Jubilee of George V.

Platignum was bought by a Chinese company who've relaunched the brand and I'm not sure if the carts are the same (they almost look like long international). Anyone compared the two ?

Their website says the parent company is still Snopake

Anyone know if you can get a cartridge converter or carts for the good old platignums ?

Cross cartridges work, at least they do in my sole Platignum c/c filler. Reports say the modern Platignum carts don't.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the photos of some wonderfully colorful old Platignums. I had only seen the more recent solid-color pens, so this thread has been quite a revelation.

ron

I am glad that Platignum did once produce some good pens.

All I can remember of them are the catastrophic rubbish they pedalled in the 1970's. I was in a class once when someone in my class was writing with his lever fill Platignum. The barrel collapsed on him and punctured the bladder, all over his work. He got detention for breaking a pen & ruining his work, but he wasn't one to do anything like that deliberately. The pen was simply a heap of rubbish.

Regards,

Richard.

I've still got the remains of two of my 1970's Platignums (one cracked cap, two bodies). They gave me sterling service. Far better than the chewing, crunching owner deserved.

I hope you dont mind if I post a picture of a 1935 Platignum.

This pen was given to my great grandmother as a school child. Inscribed on the pen is

A gift from the West Riding Council to mark the Silver Jubilee of George V.

What a fabulous piece of history to still have in your family. Lovely pen. Have you used it?

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

• 2 months later...

I had two Platignums in the 1970s and must admit to very fond memories. Both were italic nibs. One was a pale blue or turquoise; the other, bright 1970s' orange. I'd love to know what models they were (think the caps were plastic, and the same colour as the pen). Must have bought them in the village Post Office as that was the only place we could buy pens. Both gave me sterling service for years. I remember filling them with Quink ink so at least one was a fountain pen not a cartridge pen. As a budding little writer, I not only did my homework with them but wrote reams and reams of other stuff. I don't recall either dying - think they just got lost. I wore in both nibs so they were perfect for me, and would never, ever allow anyone else to write with them.

Before that, my first FP was, IIRC, an Osmiroid also don't know the model but it would have been a cheap one (also bought by West Riding County Council, incidentally!)

My dad was a school boy in WRCC in the 1930s - now wondering what happened to his pen!

Edited by Pendarion