The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

My First Ringtop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 madrigal

madrigal

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 May 2017 - 22:49

I just picked up this tiny little thing, a Canadian-made gold filled Wahl, from an antique shop. I paid more than I'd like (so it was just over $15, but I haven't paid that much for any of my other vintage pens  :lol:) but I couldn't pass it up.

The gold has started to flake away near the nib and it looks like someone tried to repair it. I might have to keep it capped and have it as a decorative piece rather than an inked pen.

39o93gj.jpg

It's 8 cm long when capped

AQfRV6h.jpg

PjZgv3g.jpg

#0 nib

Now the hunt is on to find one in better shape.

Edited by madrigal, 27 May 2017 - 22:52.

Sponsored Content

#2 pen lady

pen lady

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 May 2017 - 14:40

That AND a Vac-for-a-buck, Man, you're on a roll!  You can make this little gem look much better by cleaning up the nib with plain water, and polishing the barrel and cap lightly with a metal cleaning cloth.  BTW, I buy mine from musical instrument store, brass players use them.

#3 sidthecat

sidthecat

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 June 2017 - 18:46

They're fairly plentiful on eBay: some of them have fantastic nibs, too. I wear mine on a lanyard, which is a bit nerve-wracking because they will unscrew themselves sometimes and disappear. What I do lately is apply a dab of craft adhesive (I like something called "Tack-It Over and Over") on the threads inside the cap. That keeps them much more secure.
These things are not just writing instruments but jewelry, so wear it proudly.

#4 Larynxa

Larynxa

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 November 2017 - 15:50

What you have there, Madrigal, is a baby Wahl, made teeny-tiny for ladies' delicate little hands.  Evidently, they genuinely believed ladies needed smaller pens, back then.  But I find even a standard Wahl #2 ringtop a bit on the small side for my "ladies' hands".

Did you clean it up?  How does it look now?  How does it write?

#5 EMQG

EMQG

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 13:23

Beautiful! Any chance you're interested in selling it? I'm in need of a #0 Wahl nib!

#6 RoyalBear

RoyalBear

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2017 - 02:16

Actually, one would assume that these pens were for ladies and Wahl did sell neck ribbons for the ladies to use and wear their pens and pencils around their neck. However, in the early Wahl catalogs, they were referred to as vest pocket pens and pencils and also mentioned using a watch chain. Just recently I saw a photo of Winston Churchill where he was carrying a pen on a watch chain in his vest.

Sponsored Content

|