What Makes Pilot Customs Custom?

jcm499

Hello, Doublebassist here and practitioner of Japanese Meridian thearpy - a very Japanese style of acupuncture. Hello to my clarinet playing OP!! My Japanese is by no means peerless, but I have a suspicion about the use of the word custom in Japanese product naming.

I think in the Japanese use of the word custom - it helps to look at the original intent in Japanese.

Kasutamu in Japanese may be the word that they intended to translate - though I am unsure if this is the case. Kasutamu translates as custom, but means "that which is long established" as in a long standing tradition. They may have intended to mean more something like "Classic", or "Retro" which it seems to me that Kasutamu more accurately means, but any on-line translator will give you "custom" as the English translation.

Perhaps some kind soul who is fluent in Japanese can help us here, but I think it may be a less than perfect attempt to convey a sense of an established or classic design.

Please excuse me if I am in error here.

Very interesting. This reinforces the theory that "custom" is meant to indicate "traditional" as opposed to "customized". And that also is inline with some of the other Pilot pens called "Heritage".

Thank you for sharing this!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sketchstack

• Mrpink

• mke

• Tinjapan

Very interesting. This reinforces the theory that "custom" is meant to indicate "traditional" as opposed to "customized". And that also is inline with some of the other Pilot pens called "Heritage".

Thank you for sharing this!

IIRC the flat top models (below the 845) are called Custom Heritage. Why the 845 is in the Custom family instead of the Custom Heritage is a mystery.

> This reinforces the theory that "custom" is meant to indicate "traditional" as opposed to "customized".

We are only guessing, nothing else. Something which never can be confirmed/proven is not a (good) theory.

Perhaps even the person who chose the name knew about both meanings and was happy to have found such an interesting name.

We don't know the original intent, so no need to fight for the correct meaning.

Let us just use the pens - they are good enough to stand for themselves - even without confirmed meaning of their names.

Let us just use the pens - they are good enough to stand for themselves - even without confirmed meaning of their names.

I'm delighted to learn about language, culture and best of all fountain pens. It's just an interesting discussion. I see no "fight".

And I certainly agree with the last sentiment --we should use these pens as they are some of the best.

> This reinforces the theory that "custom" is meant to indicate "traditional" as opposed to "customized".

We are only guessing, nothing else. Something which never can be confirmed/proven is not a (good) theory.

Perhaps even the person who chose the name knew about both meanings and was happy to have found such an interesting name.

I take it you weren't a philosophy major in college. ;)

And I mean this not at all as a dig because you do have a point, but for some people considering these things is fun. I have really enjoyed seeing all the theories put forth on this topic. I had no idea it would generate such interest, and I am gratified that it did.

I would like to just add that it is very likely possible to find out the reason these pens were named as they were. I often find that a polite letter aimed at the correct office can produce the needed information. This is particularly true when it comes to Japanese companies. Let them know you love their work, express interest in knowing what you want to know, and make your letter polite and complimentary. Most Japanese companies will bend over backwards to help get you the information you seek. It is a level of civility that I admire in that culture.

I doubt that the source of the term "custom" with regard to these pens is unprovable or unable to be confirmed given that the origins of these pens are not lost in the mists of time so as to be untraceable. Pilot may even be happy to share the thoughts that led up to the naming if anyone were interested enough to write them and ask politely. Asking someone who has a good working relationship with them like Bob Goulet @ Goulet pens might be even better. I am sure he would be happy to have a reason to do another nice marketing video.

My use of Kasutamu as the possible origin comes from my past work as a CAD designer for a Japanese automotive plant here in the US. I met with one of the engineers for his approval on my work and he saw my Pilot Custom 74 as I went to make notes on a hard copy of my design for changes, and asked if that was a Japanese Pilot pen. When I answered that it was, he held it and said "Ah, Kasutamu excellent for fine work such as this! But why not use a pencil?" So at least some of the Japanese population associate the name as Kasutamu. And, yes, a pencil would have been better.

In the end, it matters not whether you call your pen "Hot Stuff", "Sugar Booger" or "Eviscerated Rat Spleen". If you enjoy it, call it what you will, no problem.

However, there are some who just like to know why things were done, or how things were named. It is interesting to them. No problem either way for me.

Edited by thmsjordan