Visconti Travelling Inkwell Review

After picking up a Visconti Homo Sapiens and reading many reviews about the possibility of staining the section with ink, I decided to do some research on how to avoid the issue and keep my HS in pristine condition. Enter the Visconti Travelling Inkwell.

Construction - This piece of kit is well designed and well constructed. I can find no fault with the materials used or the dimensions (it fits in many pen cases and I have mine tucked away in a Visconti Dreamtouch 3 pen case with the HS and a VG). As far as the cap goes I can confirm that this inkwell will not leak.

Functionality - Filling my HS with this inkwell is a breeze. Just follow the simple instructions included with the VTI and you will have no issue. My first fill with the HS was with the regular method and it did not provide a full tank. After the VTI came in I filled it with Visconti Blue and when the HS needed ink I pulled it out and it filled my pen to the brim.... with ease. This inkwell will accommodate many different pens and filling methods and due to its inverted filling style it will fill your pen right to the top.

I would recommend this product to any Fountain Pen user. It is very functional and portable and these are both important qualities for frequent travelling FP aficionados. The price can be a bit steep ($110 in Canada but I ordered from the U.K. and picked 2 up for $70 each) but it is well worth it. Even if you don't travel a lot it can be a useful piece of kit and you will not regret the purchase.

In conclusion, I love the Visconti Travelling Inkwell and it will be a mainstay in my FP arsenal. I will not fill my HS without it and will be picking up a few more in the future.

Edited by Mullen88

Keep your nose clean and your nib wet.

-Mullen88

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Mullen88

• langere

• Fit_to_Print

I agree! It is a wonderful addition for a pen lover.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Sailor King of Pens "M" nib running Van Dieman's Heemskerch and Zeehaen

I love my HS/inkwell pairing, too.

Minus VAT and 10% discount, I got mine for $40 from La Couronne du Comte.

"Never be a spectator to unfairness or stupidity" (Christopher Hitchens)

Thanks for your review. I've had one of these for a few years and, although I travel extensively, have never used it. Time to try it out.

I bought one a while back and didn't use it because I didn't want to clean it (silly logic). Once I actually used it I realized how easy it is to clean and it lets you know how much ink gets taken into pens without ink windows which is very helpful. I don't always use this but it's very handy for filling most Visconti pens.

I forgot I had these, I now keep one in my briefcase. I only run out of ink during depositions.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Irony of ironies! I usually travel a lot, being away from home from Monday a.m. to Friday p.m. most weeks. So, when I saw a really good price on them, I bought 4! Now, I've been working at home for several months, almost no travel, and I have had no occasion to use even one of them since I received them.

What a great way to prevent unnecessary travel.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

​I have one as well. find it bit hard to close it. Last time when had a flight with it, a tinny bit leaked. Although, really make the refilling easy. So, last flight carried it empty, put two bottle in my check-in baggage. A Herbin and a Raguda. Herbin isn't flight proof....

I have one and it's great for filling my Pilot Custom 523 as well as my Visconti Homo Sapiens. Beats the vacuum filler double-fill method, hands down! I've never tried it with a piston filler or Cartridge/Converter but as long as the pen section fits should work well. Shame they are not a little cheaper.

• 7 months later...

Thank you all for reading my review and sharing your thoughts. I’m still using this inkwell regularly and have had no problems with it. Cheers.

Keep your nose clean and your nib wet.

-Mullen88

Thank you all for reading my review and sharing your thoughts. I’m still using this inkwell regularly and have had no problems with it. Cheers.

My experiences as well.

Works and works well.

No issues "yet"

I am also a fan of the traveling inkwell. One extra use is it's really easy to tip an ink sample into it, and use that to get every last drop into your pen.