Found My First Vacumatic At A Yard Sale

madrigal

Today I came across one of the neatest things I've seen a yard sale: a Parker Vacumatic.

http://i.imgur.com/Qnx6Qbr.jpg?1

Back in the car, on the way to another sale.

I first noticed the ink, then I saw the pen. I looked at the logo on the clip and thought, "A Parker! Cool. Don't have one of those yet."

It wasn't until I paid ($1.00 for the box) that I noticed it was a Vacumatic. Knowing almost nothing about Vacumatics, I went home and tried to learn more about it.

http://i.imgur.com/kaD0URw.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/iRiXTcq.jpg?1

It's about 13.6 cm long when capped.

The barrel says "GEO S. PARKER / PARKER VACUMATIC / MADE IN CANADA / 4" The bottom half of "Canada" has been rubbed off, and I can't tell if there were ever dots around the 4. I can't unscrew the blind cap and I'm afraid to give it any real pressure.

The cap appears to be opaque black and the clip is the split arrow design. The body is only noticeably transparent about halfway down the barrel, and you can see something long and skinny kicking around inside. (The remains of the diaphragm?)

http://i.imgur.com/z0wQJMQ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/6YeV1Pc.jpg?1

I checked out a few sites and it looks most like a plastic speedline Junior. Does that sound about right? As a Vacumatic newbie, I'll have to learn more about them and try to figure out the date code!

edit: Forgot to show the inks.

http://i.imgur.com/lVHgbjd.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/qgwQ8Mb.jpg

The Skrip sounds like it's about half full. A few weeks ago I also picked up an old bottle of permanent red Quink for 50 cents, also half full.

Edited by madrigal

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• madrigal

• ac12

• mitto

• pajaro

Top Posters In This Topic

Good find. Now send it off to get the diaphram replaced. It is old. If it has not failed, it could fail at any time.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Great find! After spending a dollar on the pen, for a few more you can get the old war horse a new sac and maybe polished up a bit.. it's going to be a stunner when done, and will give you many years of happy writing.

Looks to have a good nib with intact tipping. As others said, get it serviced by a pro.

Khan M. Ilyas

The long skinny thing inside is probably the breather tube. The date is probably 1944. Have you checked the diaphragm by pumping it in water. Always feels better if the pen is working to begin with!

I agree on the point that it always feel good if you find a vac pen working to begin with. Last month I got a cedar blue English vac 51 that was in working order. But then you dont know whether or not the pen was restored by the previous owner. Better to replace the diaphragm even if it works as one doesnt know when it is going to fail.

Khan M. Ilyas

I was finally able to untwist the blind cap.

http://i.imgur.com/yCaTSvC.jpg

I pressed the plunger a few times, without being dipped in ink, and it wouldn't budge at first. When it did depress, there were some slight crunching/squeaking sounds, and now the plunger doesn't stick out as much as it does in that photo. :unsure: Is this normal for an unrestored pen?

I will send it off to be repaired in about a week or two. I'm very excited to write with it because I never really thought I'd own a Vacumatic.

Edited by madrigal

I was finally able to untwist the blind cap.

I pressed the plunger a few times, without being dipped in ink, and it wouldn't budge at first. When it did depress, there were some slight crunching/squeaking sounds, and now the plunger doesn't stick out as much as it does in that photo. :unsure: Is this normal for an unrestored pen?

I will send it off to be repaired in about a week or two. I'm very excited to write with it because I never really thought I'd own a Vacumatic.

Diaphram has hardened. The crunching sound is the diaphram cracking/breaking up into pieces. The old diaphram has jamed the plunger.

There really is no normal for how a diaphram failure looks like, as the diaphram can fail in many different ways.

Go to the hardware shop and by a length of 1" pvc pipe 2 inches longer than the pen. This will protect the pen from crushing in the mail, even in a box.

Wrap the pen in tissue, stick it in the pipe, then put tissue in both ends to keep the pen centered, then tape the ends.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Very nice on your find. Like the others have said send it out to be serviced you will not be disappointed.

Nice find. The crunching is normal for an unrestored pen. It was the sound of the old rubber diaphragm breaking. For a few bucks from Danny Fudge, you can get it restored. This is a Canadian Junior. We call it a "3rd Generation" pen. The main identifying feature of a 3rd generation pen is the rounded blind cap (a so-called "single jewel" pen). It appears to have an all-plastic filler unit, meaning the threaded portion is also made of plastic. These are harder to service, but should not be too difficult for a professional restorer. It will make you a fine pen when done.

Deleted, posted in error.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

That's so cool! I hope I get that lucky some day. Would love to see the "after pics" when it's restored.

I can stop any time.

-Me