Tuckersharpe Ink Master C1950S

PenHero

Hi, Folks!

I know this is going from the sublime to the ridiculous, but being curious about everything involving pens and their history, I happened across a complete dealer package with 13 Tuckersharpe pens and their display stand. I've seen beat up examples of these cheap pens at antique malls in the South where I live and never knew what they were called or what they looked like when new. The display revealed the name of this Tuckersharpe model: the Ink Master. I can also deduce from seeing similar displays and from the color choices, that they are probably mid 1950s vintage.
http://penhero.com/Temp/TuckersharpeInkMaster_1280_01.jpg
The Tuckersharpe Pen Company was founded in 1952 by Percy Tucker in Richmond, Virginia. He used himself as the lead in some of his company's advertising. The company made inexpensive fountain and ballpoint pens claiming millions of sales. The Ink Master exemplifies Tuckersharpe lever-fill fountain pen design features, including a clear section, clear feed, pull off cap, and a removable Esterbrook type nib unit. Tuckersharpe borrowed ideas from other pen makers, including not only the removable Esterbrook type nib unit, but also the "Easy Flow" name for the nib, and of course the company name, a play on Eversharp. This model sold for 49 cents and came in black, navy blue, turquoise, green, red and white.
If you run into one of these pens, now you know the name!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenHero

• estie1948

I have a couple of these Tuckersharpe lever-fill pens, one in white and one in red. I don't use them overly much because they have a medium nib and I prefer an extra-fine nib. They are good pens, dependable, and good writers. Their only serious drawback, in my opinion, is they do tend to blob ink when they are very low on ink. That is very easily avoided by simply refilling every other day or so. They are well made pens that feel good in the hand and will last for decades. I bought both of mine new in a Rexall drug store that many years ago and they are both still working fine with no more attention than an occasional flushing. Good pens, in my opinion.

-David (Estie).

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

Hi, David - have you tried any Esterbrook nibs in them?

No, I haven't. I'll be a monkey's uncle, but the idea never occurred to me. I bet if I put a 9550 extra fine Esterbrook nib in one, It would be about as sweet a pen as an Esterbrook J. Thanks for the idea.

-David (Estie).

I was so excited, but my Tuckershapre does not have a nib that will screw out. No easy replacement with an Estie nib. If your Tuckersharpes have the nibs that will screw out, why don't you let me send you an Estie nib to try in one of your pens?

-David (Estie).

Wishing you luck and waiting to hear about your success.

-David (Estie).

• 1 year later...

Hi, Folks!

This is a Tuckersharpe Inkmaster fountain pen in green c. 1950s. The Tuckersharpe Pen Company was founded in 1952 by Percy Tucker in Richmond, Virginia. He used himself as the lead in some of his company's advertising. The company made inexpensive fountain and ballpoint pens claiming millions of sales. The 5 1/4 inch long Ink Master exemplifies Tuckersharpe lever-fill fountain pen design features, including a clear section, clear feed, pull off cap, and a removable Esterbrook type nib unit. Tuckersharpe borrowed ideas from other pen makers, including not only the removable Esterbrook type nib unit, but also the "Easy Flow" name for the nib, and of course the company name, a play on Eversharp. This model sold for 49 cents and came in black, navy blue, turquoise, green, red and white.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/TuckersharpeInkMasterGreen_1280_01.jpg

Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is a Tuckersharpe Inkmaster fountain pen in white c. 1950s. The Tuckersharpe Pen Company was founded in 1952 by Percy Tucker in Richmond, Virginia. He used himself as the lead in some of his company's advertising. The company made inexpensive fountain and ballpoint pens claiming millions of sales. The 5 1/4 inch long Ink Master exemplifies Tuckersharpe lever-fill fountain pen design features, including a clear section, clear feed, pull off cap, and a removable Esterbrook type nib unit. Tuckersharpe borrowed ideas from other pen makers, including not only the removable Esterbrook type nib unit, but also the "Easy Flow" name for the nib, and of course the company name, a play on Eversharp. This model sold for 49 cents and came in black, navy blue, turquoise, green, red and white.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/TuckersharpeInkMasterWhite_1280_07.jpg

Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is a Tuckersharpe Inkmaster fountain pen in red c. 1950s. The Tuckersharpe Pen Company was founded in 1952 by Percy Tucker in Richmond, Virginia. He used himself as the lead in some of his company's advertising. The company made inexpensive fountain and ballpoint pens claiming millions of sales. The 5 1/4 inch long Ink Master exemplifies Tuckersharpe lever-fill fountain pen design features, including a clear section, clear feed, pull off cap, and a removable Esterbrook type nib unit. Tuckersharpe borrowed ideas from other pen makers, including not only the removable Esterbrook type nib unit, but also the "Easy Flow" name for the nib, and of course the company name, a play on Eversharp. This model sold for 49 cents and came in black, navy blue, turquoise, green, red and white.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/TuckersharpeInkMasterRed_1280_01.jpg

Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is a Tuckersharpe Inkmaster fountain pen in navy blue c. 1950s. The Tuckersharpe Pen Company was founded in 1952 by Percy Tucker in Richmond, Virginia. He used himself as the lead in some of his company's advertising. The company made inexpensive fountain and ballpoint pens claiming millions of sales. The 5 1/4 inch long Ink Master exemplifies Tuckersharpe lever-fill fountain pen design features, including a clear section, clear feed, pull off cap, and a removable Esterbrook type nib unit. Tuckersharpe borrowed ideas from other pen makers, including not only the removable Esterbrook type nib unit, but also the "Easy Flow" name for the nib, and of course the company name, a play on Eversharp. This model sold for 49 cents and came in black, navy blue, turquoise, green, red and white.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/TuckersharpeInkMasterDarkBlue_1280_07.jpg

Thanks!