A Very Unusual Lamy Stub Nib

ErrantSmudge

I ordered a set of Lamy stub nibs to fit my Safaris, and they arrived yesterday. The set has the 1.1, 1.5, and 1.9mm stub nibs.

The 1.5mm stub nib looks decidedly not like the others. In fact, it doesn't look like a stub nib at all.

fpn_1495818757__lamy_stub_top.jpg

fpn_1495818844__lamy_stub_underside.jpg

I'm thinking it is a standard Fine nib, that was mis-labeled at the Lamy factory. Here's a shot comparing it with a standard Fine nib in my Lamy Vista.

fpn_1495818907__lamy_stub_comparison.jpg

Has anyone seen anything like this? Is there a reason for me to think this is a true 1.5mm Lamy stub?

I probably will not contact the online seller about this, but keep it as an oddity - sort of an "upside down airplane stamp" of pen nibs.

Edited by ErrantSmudge

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old_Inkyhand

• ErrantSmudge

• Cryptos

• ink-syringe

Top Posters In This Topic

:) Yeah, that's an error. It might even be an EF - hold onto it, their prices are already going up. ;) Maybe you should take a picture and send it to the seller, see what they say. If they want it back, then you'll have to decide whether it's worth keeping as an oddity. But they might just send a replacement stub and not bother having you return it...

Haha, maybe Lamy really does have issues with nibs and keeping up after all.

I know my Lamy 1.5 stub (it's a real one unlike yours) has the printing all wonky off to the side. It was a Goulet bottom shelf and I thought why not as an add on to my order. So... obviously they aren't the best at printing and tracking.

Also, another dead giveaway is the fact your '1.5' is tipped. All the Lamy stubs come untipped as far as I know these days.

And it has a breather hole as well. From what I understand in the other current stub nib thread, Lamy's stubs don't have breather holes. The 1.1 and 1.9 I have don't have breather holes.

I've contacted the seller (Goulet Pens) and sent them a photo - they're shipping me a new 1.5mm stub free of charge, and they're letting me keep this one. So kudos to Goulet Pens.

It might even be an EF - hold onto it, their prices are already going up. ;)

Looking at the photo of it next to the Fine nib, you might be right. I will put this on a pen and compare it with the F and EF Safaris in the house.

Edited by ErrantSmudge

ha! goes with the one posted a while back that didn't have a nib slit cut into it.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

Probably got stuck somewhere and fell into the machine later.

You'll sell it as SUPER RARE, EXTRAORDINARY COLLECTIBLE ITEM, for true Lamy fans only (if you have less than a bazillion of Lamy pens and don't have a tattoo of a 2000 in an exposed place, your offer will not be accepted). Then you'll live happily and overwhelmingly prosperously till the end of time, and your children too, and your children's children, and your grandchildren's children, and their greengrocers, and their greengrocers' children.

This little nib will probably end global poverty. Use it well.

Edited by Old_Inkyhand

You'll sell it as SUPER RARE, EXTRAORDINARY COLLECTIBLE ITEM, for true Lamy fans only (if you have less than a bazillion of Lamy pens and don't have a tattoo of a 2000 in an exposed place, your offer will not be accepted).

Can I copy/paste that into my eBay listing?

Or maybe I can trade it for a bottle of Petrol ink.

YOU FOOL! Sure you can copy & paste, but remember:

Thou shalt not part easily with this nib of wonders.

;)

Wait, what? What's this about Lamy EF nibs? Are they being discontinued on pens only, or are they being discontinued altogether? I ask because the Goulet Pen Company still has spare nibs in stock according to their website.

Ah. I never knew they had a blog. Thanks for pointing this out. Well that's disappointing news for the US. I suppose people can still order overseas though.

Discontinued in the US, steel only as I understand it.

The gold nibs in EF will still be available. Lamy 2k EF availability is also unaffected. EF steel nibs available while supplies last.

Apparently, the EF nibs are a little harder to do and require a little extra hand tuning and there is a lot more demand for EF nibs in Asia (Here in Korea LAMY Is very popular, despite the wicked prices) always occupying the front of the pen counter in the book stores) the vast majority of all Lamy Safari/Vista/Alstar are sold in EF or F nibs) and there is apparently growing demand all throughout Asia so EF nibs are going to Asia and Germany first.

I live in Asia but don't use EF nibs so haha only all fronts. When I write in Asian scripts I am fine (pun pun) with, uh, fine. For Roman letters M, stub or more.

I didn't think they hand tuned any of the steel nibs (judging by the consistency) but I believe they do hand tune those gold nibs as they are spectacular and having had the chance to handle several boxes of them, they seem really carefully and consistently done. Every time I use the gold nib on my Studio I am impressed. Though they do seem to write wetter and wider than the steel so buying a 14K EF nib is probably not going to be much different than the steel F. Just thinking outloud on that.

My problem living in Asia is I can't get B nibs. Not even available on special order in most cases.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

Sorry for being so terse, I had to hurry. That's a real pity. I am not a fan of Extra Fine, but I do understand that a lot of people really like this nib size. It is very convenient for the target group of many Lamy pens - people who need reliable, inexpensive pens for office and/or school.

I swapped my "1.5 stub" nib into one of my Safaris (a blue one) and did a writing sample between it and my Petrol with a factory F nib. Both pens were loaded with fresh T10 cartridges with blue ink.

fpn_1495995572__lamy_f_vs_15.jpeg

So it looks like my oddball "1.5mm stub" is actually an F nib. It might be a tad finer than the F in my Petrol, but that could easily be tolerances between nibs.

Edited by ErrantSmudge