The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Dipping Ink Recommendations

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MercianScribe

MercianScribe

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2017 - 06:19

Hello all,

Anyone any recommendations for inexpensive dipping ink for calligraphy? All I've used so far is a few Japanese blacks, which are great, but I'd like to try some colours.

Hi, I'm Mat

This week's EDC: Pilot Penmanship (demo, B italic, Iroshizuku Old Man Winter/Pilot Blue mix), Preppy (red, 0.3), Preppy (green, 0.3), 

This week's home rotation: Watermans 12 PSF (XF-3B wet noodle, Diamine Red Dragon), Watermans 3J (B-4B broad flex stub, Pilot Blue)

Sponsored Content

#2 Jeffrey Garrett

Jeffrey Garrett

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:00

Diamine 'Syrah' is rock solid, for a rich and deep red?  

I saw the UK flag in your profile.  After writing this... I then saw you are in Japan.  Access to Diamine may be an issue?

Edited by Jeffrey Garrett, 25 May 2017 - 08:02.

My Instagram page.

#3 Randal6393

Randal6393

Love italic handwriting.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,426 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2017 - 15:10

Just about any fountain pen ink will work for dipping. There are a few points to be aware of.

First, inks are transparent by nature. If you want a solid color, gouache is much better.

Second, contamination of the ink with molds is to be avoided (especially in Japan). So, keep the ink you are using for dip pens separate from the fountain pen ink.

Third, occasionally an ink needs to be thickened or thinned. Thicken with gum arabic, thin with pure water.

Last, have fun. Sketch some, study Japanese sumi-e for inspiration, Chinese sumi-e for color studies. Try unusual papers -- a lot can be done with rice paper, if you have a light hand or use a brush for effect.

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

#4 Sasha Royale

Sasha Royale

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,069 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2017 - 15:32

Japanese inks are typically beautiful, and pricey,  as are many things in Japan.   Other sources of ink, in the neighborhood, are HERO from PRC, and Camlin from India.  Parker and Pelikan inks have worldwide distribution.  

Dipping is usually safe with any ink and pen.  Don't forget to clean-up after.  However, not all ink is compatible with the ink feed system of a fountain pen.  Fountain pen ink  ONLY  in  fountain pens.  

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn. 
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen: 
Verweile doch, du bist so schön ! 

#5 MercianScribe

MercianScribe

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2017 - 17:38

Diamine 'Syrah' is rock solid, for a rich and deep red?  

I saw the UK flag in your profile.  After writing this... I then saw you are in Japan.  Access to Diamine may be an issue?

Diamine appears to be as cheap to order to Japan on eBay including P&P as to the UK for the 100ml bottles, and I've been meaning to splash for some time.

Just about any fountain pen ink will work for dipping. There are a few points to be aware of.

First, inks are transparent by nature. If you want a solid color, gouache is much better.

Second, contamination of the ink with molds is to be avoided (especially in Japan). So, keep the ink you are using for dip pens separate from the fountain pen ink.

Third, occasionally an ink needs to be thickened or thinned. Thicken with gum arabic, thin with pure water.

Last, have fun. Sketch some, study Japanese sumi-e for inspiration, Chinese sumi-e for color studies. Try unusual papers -- a lot can be done with rice paper, if you have a light hand or use a brush for effect.

Enjoy,

Thanks for the point about gouache for solids. I am actually thinking of working my way towards my first arty project: calligraphy, with one of the waterproof sumi for outlines, and watercolour for shading. So consequently, I was thinking of strong waterproofs for my dip pens, and not using FPs at all. But, maybe I should revive my gouache skills, meagre as they were... I always enjoyed it as a medium and sometimes even got close to the effect I wanted!

I knew about not using non-FP ink in FPs, but hadn't thought of keeping the sources separate for mould issues... I always decant the inks into smaller containers anyway but I'll bear it in mind to be a bit more careful about keeping them separate.

Japanese inks are typically beautiful, and pricey,  as are many things in Japan.   Other sources of ink, in the neighborhood, are HERO from PRC, and Camlin from India.  Parker and Pelikan inks have worldwide distribution.  

Dipping is usually safe with any ink and pen.  Don't forget to clean-up after.  However, not all ink is compatible with the ink feed system of a fountain pen.  Fountain pen ink  ONLY  in  fountain pens.  

Thanks. My go-to for inexpensive fountain pen inks is Pilot. Amazon Japan does black, blue-black, and red for next to nothing in the 350 ml bottles, though for some reason its blue is a bit more and only goes up to 70 ml. And rude though it is to the lovelier Japanese inks, I'm afraid I'll be stocking up on various Diamine for my FPs.

I've often wondered about the standard 'carbon black' Hero, which is supposedly good for FPs and dips... I heard the same about about Winsor and Newton, so I tried out a green, which didn't move through the damn FPs at all and was a bugger to clean out afterwards...! It says it's for FPs, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Hi, I'm Mat

This week's EDC: Pilot Penmanship (demo, B italic, Iroshizuku Old Man Winter/Pilot Blue mix), Preppy (red, 0.3), Preppy (green, 0.3), 

This week's home rotation: Watermans 12 PSF (XF-3B wet noodle, Diamine Red Dragon), Watermans 3J (B-4B broad flex stub, Pilot Blue)

Sponsored Content

|