Triangle Pen Show

GardenWeasel

Triangle Pen Show is arriving fairly soon. I'm feeling a strong sense of anticipation! We will be there Saturday... Anyone else going?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainpenlady

• GardenWeasel

• akrohn2010

• inkstainedruth

Going! And it looks as if I've talked the BIC Philistine, er, darling husband Into going as well. :thumbup: Of course that means I probably can't stop on the way down and back at a bunch of antiques stores to break up the trip; or crank up the volume on all my favorite music.... :blush:

I have some pens and inks on the shopping list, as well as some pens in need of repairs. Plus, I may try to sit him down this weekend (FINALLY!) with the Vanishing Point I picked up in an antiques store last year to see if he likes the nib (or if he really would prefer an EF nib -- that will help inform my decision on which nib to get on a Decimo for myself.... And I want to also sit him down with the Parker 51 Aero EF (he liked the size and weight of the burgundy Aero I have, when he needed a pen on short notice last summer -- just not the M-ish nib on it).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

It's a great show and such a friendly hotel...it even has electric (most of the time). 🤔

Edited to add a link...if I can figure out how,

http://www.trianglepenshow.com

Edited by GardenWeasel

It's a great show and such a friendly hotel...it even has electric (most of the time).

:lticaptd:

Yeah, I remember last year. :rolleyes: I particularly remember some guy (don't remember who it was) teasing Mike Kennedy of Indy-Pen-Dance in the hallway outside the ballroom about it being a "vacation" for him and him making growly noises.... (Ironically, I'd had him rehab a pen I'd just bought the day before and mentioned the storms I'd driven through on Thursday evening, (basically from about Winston-Salem to my hotel which was near RDI) and he had looked at me strangely and said "There were storms?" (Apparently Cary had been spared the stuff I'd driven through Thursday evening -- torrential rains and some wicked looking lightning bolts in the distance, right about dusk.)

Honestly, though, guys, I really did come up with that idea (i.e., a power outage at a pen show) as a plot device way before last year....

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Triangle Pen Show is arriving fairly soon. I'm feeling a strong sense of anticipation! We will be there Saturday... Anyone else going?

Need Nibmeister recommendations for the Triangle Pen Show coming up.

You and I on the same wavelength. I just remembered to post something about the upcoming Triangle Pen Show and you have already done it! Wonderful. Yes, I am planning on being there on Saturday. Have you ever gotten your pen tuned during the Pen Show? Who would you recommend? I have not had a pen tuned since Richard Binder did a Waverly on my Pelikan many years ago. Today, I just received a Delta Dolce Vita. I got it used on the 'Bay.

Best deal so far. The Pen looks and feels brand new with a bottle of ink, manual, paperwork. I can not believe it. It still needs to be slightly tuned as it has a bit of a bite and I prefer it to be a little wetter. A friend turned me on to Delta DolceVitas recently. I am going to see whether I can find another version of one during the Triangle Pen Show. I had three fountain pens to malfunction in days during the week so this was a perfect purchase.

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

Yeah, I remember last year. :rolleyes: I particularly remember some guy (don't remember who it was) teasing Mike Kennedy of Indy-Pen-Dance in the hallway outside the ballroom about it being a "vacation" for him and him making growly noises.... (Ironically, I'd had him rehab a pen I'd just bought the day before and mentioned the storms I'd driven through on Thursday evening, (basically from about Winston-Salem to my hotel which was near RDI) and he had looked at me strangely and said "There were storms?" (Apparently Cary had been spared the stuff I'd driven through Thursday evening -- torrential rains and some wicked looking lightning bolts in the distance, right about dusk.)

Honestly, though, guys, I really did come up with that idea (i.e., a power outage at a pen show) as a plot device way before last year....

Can you recommend a Nibmeister who I hope will probably be at the Pen Show? I have a new Delta I would love to have tuned.

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

My choice has always been Michael Masuyama. Don't know if he will be there this year. High on my list is to have Indy-Pen-Dance...just because I've no nib that has had their treatment.

My choice has always been Michael Masuyama. Don't know if he will be there this year. High on my list is to have Indy-Pen-Dance...just because I've no nib that has had their treatment.

Apologies, I might be suffering from fatigue. High on your list is Indy-Pen-Dance..." just because I've no nib that has had their treatment." So you have never had a nib tuned by them, but you recommend them? Am I misunderstanding you?

Yep. No previous nib has had their touch...but they were trained by Richard Binder. And I've a few he did before retiring. Seems a good bet to me!

Looking at the list of exhibitors on the show's site, I see Ron Zorn and the Kennedys. I haven't used either, but you can do a web search and find forum threads about them as well as testimonials on social media sites. Based on what I've read about them, I wouldn't hesitate to use either. Maybe call them prior to the show, tell them what you want to have done, and determine you feel most comfortable with, then head to their table.

....or crank up the volume on all my favorite music....

I always enjoy reading your posts and have in my mind this idea of you (all very good, btw). 'Sitting your husband down' -- I get that. Stopping at antique stores -- doesn't surprise, would expect it.

But cranking the volume on your favorite tunes?!? Totally missed this. Nothing at all to do with pens and ink I realize, but do you mind sharing just what music it is that you crank? And if your volume control goes to 11, what do you consider 'crank' range?

Pendleton Brown should be there. He did a fantastic job on a Bexley gold stub nib for me. Nib wouldn't start. Wouldn't have a steady flow of ink, and not as smooth as I thought it should be. It is now perfect after he treated it for its illnesses.

Oh! And was it last year? Or year before, Deb Kinney straighted a bent nib on a Sailor that I had dropped. Very quickly and well done too (at the Triangle Pen Show)!

Looking at the list of exhibitors on the show's site, I see Ron Zorn and the Kennedys. I haven't used either, but you can do a web search and find forum threads about them as well as testimonials on social media sites. Based on what I've read about them, I wouldn't hesitate to use either. Maybe call them prior to the show, tell them what you want to have done, and determine you feel most comfortable with, then head to their table.

Thank you. I contacted them by message and will call them tomorrow. I also read a thread just now from several satisfied customers so I am looking forward to her hopefully tuning my pen. I have had a pen binderized and so Richard having trained them is a huge endorsement.

Pendleton Brown should be there. He did a fantastic job on a Bexley gold stub nib for me. Nib wouldn't start. Wouldn't have a steady flow of ink, and not as smooth as I thought it should be. It is now perfect after he treated it for its illnesses.

I'll find out how to reach him beforehand. My pen has some of the same issues you had with your pen. Thanks for your recommendation. Much appreciated.

Edited by fountainpenlady

Oh! And was it last year? Or year before, Deb Kinney straighted a bent nib on a Sailor that I had dropped. Very quickly and well done too (at the Triangle Pen Show)!

Thanks, I will inquire about Deb Kinney. Thank you for the recommendation.

Folks, sign in here if you are going to the Triangle Pen Show. Maybe we can wave in passing in the aisles. I will have GardenWeasel on my tag. Wife will have WeedPopper on hers.

Folks, sign in here if you are going to the Triangle Pen Show. Maybe we can wave in passing in the aisles. I will have GardenWeasel on my tag. Wife will have WeedPopper on hers.

I am going to be there from Friday to Saturday. I am staying over at a hotel. I want to get there early on Friday so I can put my name on the list for a Nibmeister. No hat this time, unless red, or hair colored bright red/rouge, red readers, red watch, red purse. No doubt walking around looking for some appropriate red ink. :wub: :wub:

I'll be there on Saturday...maybe on Sunday, too.

As for Nibmeisters, Deb Kinney will be there, and except for a couple of specialty grinds she's done all my nib grinds for the last couple of years. In fact on Saturday I'll be picking up a couple of pens I gave to her to fix what other nib people have done incorrectly.

"The Great Roe is a mythological beast with the head of a lion and the body of a lion, but not the same lion."

My Personal Blog | My Creative Writing Blog | My Heraldry Designs

http://dcroe05.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/crestdr.png?w=100

I'll be there on Saturday...maybe on Sunday, too.

As for Nibmeisters, Deb Kinney will be there, and except for a couple of specialty grinds she's done all my nib grinds for the last couple of years. In fact on Saturday I'll be picking up a couple of pens I gave to her to fix what other nib people have done incorrectly.

Thanks, that is why I want to be there early on Friday so that when the doors open I can hopefully locate all the Nibmeisters and ask questions. Believe if I can get my name on the list, I'll be fine for whichever one I choose. I just need my pen's nib smooth, and maybe perhaps opening tines slightly for more ink flow. Believe it should not take me to have to send it anywhere and can be done during the show. Just in case, decided to get a hotel room in case I have to wait until Saturday. I just acquired a Delta DolceVita fountain pen which just needs a little tuning.