The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Alternative Italic/stub Nib Usage

stub italic stub nib italic nib pilot screwdriver alternative plumix

2 replies to this topic

#1 tcm25

tcm25

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:52

I bought a Pilot Plumix a while ago as my first stub nib pen. Though initially I had a bit of fun with it, I find I don't use it much - even while I use my flex nibs quite a lot. I thought it was a little bit of money wasted, until today when i found out I could use it as a flat-head screwdriver. With reborn purpose, I think I'll be using this pen a lot more now. Has anyone else found alternative uses of/for stub nibs, or am I the sole madman here?

(Embracing for hatemail. Don't worry, I do take proper care of my other pens.)

Sponsored Content

#2 Orpilorp

Orpilorp

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:09

I would think the nib could not handle much torque, so I'm guessing it was used as a screwdriver just one time. Have you considered using the Plumix as a glorified toothpick?

#3 markh

markh

Shaded Writing

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:51

People like different things.

I like stub/italic nibs because I like the character they give to my handwriting. I particularly like oblique nibs - same reason, though they look different than stubs. Either one takes a small amount of learning to understand how they work best. Neither may ever be for you.

Instead of ruining a perfectly good pen that doesn't suit you, why don't you give it away to someone who would use it, or at least experiment with it.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: stub, italic, stub nib, italic nib, pilot, screwdriver, alternative, plumix

Sponsored Content

|