A Conid On Its Way

Dogpaws73

I am beginning to think the 380s have individual personalities.

I wonder if the thickness of the nib alloy itself affects the flow. If you remove a Ti nib and a gold nib from their housing, the gold seems thinner overall.

So I wonder if the gold allow just a tiny bit more ink to pass through the feed assembly. Hence the ultra-wet gold nibs.

Just a theory.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sketchstack

• oldrifleman

• SpecTP

• Scylax

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Conid do have different nib assembly collars for Ti and Au now, so the old problems of overtight Ti nibs are gone and the Ti/Au nibs probably fit about the same into the assemblies. I think the feeds are the same between the two nib materials. Maybe it is a physics thing, with Ti being more resistant to capillary flow than gold. Who knows?

It is also possible that the gushing that bothers me has little to do with nib material. I am comparing F Ti nibs to broader Au nibs. The broader nibs will naturally be wetter. Perhaps a B Ti nib would be just as wet as a B Au, and a F Au nib would be ......well, fine. Francis?

Whatever the cause, you'd better like a lot of flow if you get a broad 380. I would prefer Bock manufacture drier nibs because it is much easier to add wetness than to subtract it.

Sorry to hijack the original topic. If this goes any further it should probably be in the nibs thread.

My 1st Conid should be here tomorrow. Now I'm going back over some of these threads in anticipation. Can't wait! Mine's a Regular.

My 1st Conid should be here tomorrow. Now I'm going back over some of these threads in anticipation. Can't wait! Mine's a Regular.

Nice! Which nib(s) did you choose?

I should have also mentioned that the gold nibs are very wet writers, whereas the titanium are not so much.

My Titanium F nib is wet for vertical lines but less so for horizontal lines.

@Sketch- I got the Broad Titanium. And oh dear, but I love this pen. I typically take 3-6 pens to work with me on a given day, but I'm just taking the one tomorrow. I've been writing nonsense all night just to give myself a chance to play with it. No regrets.

@Sketch- I got the Broad Titanium. And oh dear, but I love this pen. I typically take 3-6 pens to work with me on a given day, but I'm just taking the one tomorrow. I've been writing nonsense all night just to give myself a chance to play with it. No regrets.

My Regular is also a broad, but I had it Stubbed and it is quickly becoming my favorite. Conid did a spectacular job on the stub and it smooth and wet and I just love it!

does anyone's Conid tend to have a lot of ink pooled right at the base of the feed?

My feed is generally wet, and there's sometimes a bit of ink around the hole where the CAISO rod is exposed. I haven't noticed much ink at the base of the feed, however. Is it enough to drip with just gravity?

Could it be that you'd just filled it so there's ink collected there? With many of my pens I'll have to write a page or so before the ink balances to normal levels (once it exhausts the "external" amount of ink).

You may also give the nib assembly a once over. Make sure it's screwed in all the way ,etc. There are also some o-rings on that rod assembly so you might make sure there's nothing obviously amiss there either.

Finally, in my experience the team at CONID has been very good about helping me resolve issues and answering my post-purchase questions. You should keep in touch with them if the issue persists.

• 1 month later...

It looks like the CAISO was sitting a bit off on my Conid. Mike Masayuma was fiddling with it at the DC show to resolve the ink flow issue and when he put it back together, the ink stopped pooling at the base. The Conid writes like a dream now and is perfect in every way.

• 3 weeks later...

Just ordered a Conid Regular, should be finished 2nd week of Oct, can't wait.

Full demonstrator, and I changed the Delrin section to titanium for $40 euro.

Still can't believe I pulled the trigger for a Conid, it was only 9 months ago that I looked at the prices and thought that was way too high. Funny how a Nakaya Decapod Twist and Visconti Brown Divinia changes your value perception...

I'm so tempted to pull the trigger on one but I do wish I could get a CAISO Version. It seems like everybody who gets one of these pens loves it as a workhorse and that's what I'm after. Does anyone know if they'll take an EF grind down to a 0.1?

I'm so tempted to pull the trigger on one but I do wish I could get a CAISO Version. It seems like everybody who gets one of these pens loves it as a workhorse and that's what I'm after. Does anyone know if they'll take an EF grind down to a 0.1?

Hi Scylax,

A new series of CAISO's will be launched within a month.

The CAISO will be re-introduced on the Conid site shortly, so stay tuned and check the site regularly !

And making an XF 0.1 mm is no problem.

regards,

Francis

Ordered a Regular Demonstrator, ECD is 10/6 for shipping. This one will sport a broad stub. Looking forward to another one in the stable. I have found that my Conids are the most dependable pens in my collection. I realized I had not touched my kingsize in about 6 weeks and was worried that it would be a hard start or dried up, but no it performed perfectly. My Nakayas would be dry if I did that with them.

Hi Scylax,

The CAISO will be re-introduced on the Conid site shortly, so stay tuned and check the site regularly !

regards,

Francis

That's fantastic news, thank you! I will stalk your website daily :)

Still can't believe I pulled the trigger for a Conid, it was only 9 months ago that I looked at the prices and thought that was way too high.

Careful --you may look back to your first Conid wondering "Remember back when I thought I only needed one Conid??" ;)

Congrats on the order!

• 1 month later...

Hi Scylax,

regards,

Francis

Is there any further news on this? :)

Got my regular last week. The fine titanium nib is currently the smoothest nib I own. Writes more like a medium, which I don't mind. Build quality a step above my Pelikan M805 demo. The need to release the reservoir irks me. Solution is of course to get the CASIO version!

Got my regular last week. The fine titanium nib is currently the smoothest nib I own. Writes more like a medium, which I don't mind. Build quality a step above my Pelikan M805 demo. The need to release the reservoir irks me. Solution is of course to get the CASIO version!

The CAISO is a revelation if you ask me. I thought it was maybe a little gimmicky at first and resisted ordering. And the air travel/pressure aspect doesn't affect my life much.

But curiosity got the better of me eventually. The steady, uninterrupted perfectly-wet flow of ink is quite cool. There's this neat little 'click' when the rod is released as you uncap it. It writes as if the blind cap has been slightly released to allow ink to readily flow but of course it isn't --with the CAISO you just uncap it and started laying down ink.