Pens With Unique Feeds? Transparent, Colored, Material Matches The Body, Etc

egglorru

Lately I've been looking for pens with interesting feeds. What I've found so far:

Transparent feeds:

Platinum Cool

Pilot Petit1

Wingsung 698

Matching feeds:

Vintage Waterman Red Ripple with red ebonite feed (apparently very rare to find intact because the red ebonite was more brittle than black?)

Aurora Sigaro with brown ebonite feed

And...that's it. That's the whole list of everything I've discovered thus far. The feed is an under-advertised feature of fountain pens, so it can be difficult to search for them. For instance, if I hadn't picked up and turned over a Sigaro in Dromgoole's a few weeks ago I wouldn't even know the feed matched, because I can't find a picture of the feed ANYWHERE online.

Any help adding to this list?

I'm always up for an ink trade!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• egglorru

• MercianScribe

• tgoto

• frankb3

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Parker Red Giant has a matching red feed.

Parker 45s could be had with a clear feed.

Sheaffer Skyboy can be found with a white feed.

There are many others.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

The Sailor High Ace Neo demonstrator has a clear barrel, a grey translucent section and a clear feed, creating a magical effect of color that stretches from the cartridge up through the section and the feed. The shiny silver steel of the nib reflects light back through the layer of ink between the nib and the feed.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Lingmo Lorelei demos also have a clear feed, although iirc, it's the same as the Wing Sung.

The Sailor High Ace Neo demonstrator has a clear barrel, a grey translucent section and a clear feed, creating a magical effect of color that stretches from the cartridge up through the section and the feed. The shiny silver steel of the nib reflects light back through the layer of ink between the nib and the feed.

Just an image of High Ace :)

post-134999-0-52645400-1495517439_thumb.jpeg

Dream, take one step at a time and achieve. :)

Just an image of High Ace :)

Ooh, nice! It looks like it might be eyedropper-able too, is that the case?

Ooh, nice! It looks like it might be eyedropper-able too, is that the case?

Actually there is a hole at the end of barrel...so no eyedropper...:( (unless there is a way to plug it)

Dream, take one step at a time and achieve. :)

Some Jinhao 599 demonstrators have transparent feeds. And then there's that "transparent fountain pen" on Aliexpress with the transparent feed. No idea what brand.

Parker VS had, for part of its production, a clear acrylic feed. Wearever had clear plastic ones, marketed as C-Flow, which were not notably good.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Marlen Aleph has a clear feed with a heart shaped cut out on the nib so that the ink is visible.

Namiki Emperor Vermilion Urushi. It has a lacquered feed that matches the pen body.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

Parker VS had, for part of its production, a clear acrylic feed. Wearever had clear plastic ones, marketed as C-Flow, which were not notably good.

I have one of the Wherever clear feed pens. A bit understated, not a "showy" pen at all. Found it in an antique shop.

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

Actually there is a hole at the end of barrel...so no eyedropper...:( (unless there is a way to plug it)

Locktite marine epoxy is available at Lowes and many other places. I used it to hack a Lamy Vista by swapping the Vista fountain pen section onto a Vista rollerball body (a perfect fit), then filling the hole at the end of the rollerball body with marine epoxy. The epoxy was painted with fingernail paint, and boink! I had a Lamy Vista eye dropper.

I have one of the Wherever clear feed pens. A bit understated, not a "showy" pen at all. Found it in an antique shop.

Sharon in Indiana

Wearever are everywhere, and if ever a brand were deserving of the tag 'third tier' that is it. Having said that, I had a Zenith that I picked up in a junk pen batch, which was very well kept and a lovely writer. It had quite a small sweet spot, but it sure was sweet when you hit it! Soft and smooth and with enough line variation to make it a bit more interesting. I heard that the Zenith predecessor and successor, whose names escape me... were they 'Deluxe' and 'Pacemaker'? - are also worth picking up if in good condition.

Oh yeah... no thread drift here! The Zenith usually had a transparent feed, which as Ernst Bitterman notes above, were not particularly good, but on the other hand, they seem perfectly serviceable and not particularly prone to breakage either. I think the Pacemaker sometimes had a similar feed, but I'm not sure about the Deluxe (or if that's even its name...!).

Talking about 'interesting' feeds, there are a whole load of underfeeds and overfeeds and faux-feed contraptions that might fit your description...! Or would that be another thread?!

Hi, I'm Mat

:)

Talking about 'interesting' feeds, there are a whole load of underfeeds and overfeeds and faux-feed contraptions that might fit your description...! Or would that be another thread?!

I wouldn't mind learning more about those as well (they seem to fall firmly into the "etc" category in the post title!) Any unique feeds have my interest.

I do have an old old Swan with an over-under ebonite feed that is quite enjoyable, and I once stumbled across an Eversharp desk pen with a sliding mechanism on the nib to adjust the amount of flex. I rather regret letting that one get away, but it didn't have a base or a cap so I'd have to have one made to match.

What is a faux-feed?

What is a faux-feed?

I have an old eye-dropper that has a thin strip of metal flush to the centre of the top of the nib. I just assumed it was a feed, but technically, apparently, according to a very sensibly explained site I didn't bookmark (!), its technical function is not to help supply ink to the nib, but to prevent ink from drying up in the standard feed below the nib. Therefore, it is not a feed, but a gizmo that looks like a feed. I just stuck 'faux' in front of it, as it sounds less false than 'false' or 'fake'!

Hi, I'm Mat

:)