Need Help To Identify This Model

strelnikoff

Hello Wahl Eversharp experts!

I have acquired one vintage Wahl Eversharp pen, and hadn't had a chance to ask seller which model is this (see photos). It is probably 1930's or 1940's... maybe even later.

I've tried to find some information online with no luck so far.

I have another older pen, from 1910 or 1912, but it was easy to identify Tempoint pen with Penrite visible on the cap.

But this one - except it is obviously a Gold Seal - no clue which model it is. So - if anyone recognizes it - by all means please share the info.

Thanks!

post-136832-0-63954300-1495482767.jpg

post-136832-0-16002900-1495482775.jpg

post-136832-0-53741800-1495482785.jpg

post-136832-0-81144100-1495482795.jpg

post-136832-0-18611800-1495482804.jpg

Edited by strelnikoff

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• strelnikoff

• joss

• jonveley

• JGrad

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It looks like Oxford, but I am still not sure - there is that gold seal and the clip is slightly different.

OK folks, this is what I have found - this is a description from www.gopens.com and their vintage pens catalog #54 from March 2010.

Item number is 219 in the catalog.

"Gold Seal Pen in Maroon. Rare model, produced just after the Doric and before the Symphony, at the same time as the Coronet. The “Gold Seal” signifies a high quality, lifetime guaranteed pen. Visualated section. Also came in a shorter, non Gold-Seal model."

Production year is listed as 1941 - so I wasn't that much off guessing 1940's.

Pen in the catalog has extra-fine smooth nib with flex - my pen has a slightly stubby nib - exceptionally smooth and excellent flex to it.

It still doesn't say which model it is only it is between Doric and Symphony and same time as coronet. So the search goes on - although I have narrowed down timeline.

Thank you! It does look almost identical, except mine has a gold seal on the cap as well. Nevertheless, it is most likely that model, they could have added gold seal later... I've never heard of Victory :)

Great pen find!

And a nice story at the Leadhead Pencil Blog on how Jon could assign a model name to his "hybrid" pencils via Matt's thread on an unknown Eversharp:

http://leadheadpencils.blogspot.be/2016/09/better-than-hybrid-repeater-eversharp.html

http://fountainpenboard.com/forum/index.php?/topic/7507-eversharp-victory-and-select-o-point

The second post in Matt's thread mentions the Eversharp Victory with gold seal.

Edited by joss

Great pen find!

And a nice story at the Leadhead Pencil Blog on how Jon could assign a model name to his "hybrid" pencils via Matt's thread on an unknown Eversharp:

http://leadheadpencils.blogspot.be/2016/09/better-than-hybrid-repeater-eversharp.html

http://fountainpenboard.com/forum/index.php?/topic/7507-eversharp-victory-and-select-o-point

The second post in Matt's thread mentions the Eversharp Victory with gold seal.

Yes, it's a mystery solved. Partially - my pen has a gold seal. I will assume that Victory did came out one year without that gold seal, and then perhaps they've added it later.

I'll call it Victory until proven otherwise :)

Ok, I have an update to this mystery :)

It seems that Victory model was offered in two sizes - smaller (as depicted in the catalog page Jonveley shared above) which didn't have a gold seal - and larger (I'd say longer) which had a gold seal.

Thus, my pen is Wahl Eversharp Victory - Larger :D in maroon color. The nib is narrow stub (may say "broad" for that era) and is flexible to very flexible. I'll do a writing sample.

And this is an excerpt from gopens.com catalog #54 from 2010, the pen was offered for 150 USD - item #219

http://www.gopens.com/Old_Vintage_Pen_Catalogs/Vintage_fountain_Pens_54.php

Edited by Strelnikoff

Here are some details: capped length 5-1/8", uncapped 4-5/8"

Line width - maximum flex is 1.4 to 1.8 mm.

post-136832-0-31990100-1496253630_thumb.jpg

post-136832-0-23385600-1496253637_thumb.jpg

post-136832-0-23866400-1496253647_thumb.jpg

post-136832-0-86466800-1496253653_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

Just to butt in here, the Victory was only made in 1941 and was the last pen to use the gold seal medallion. Both the ladies' size and the men's size used the gold seal. After this use of the gold seal, Eversharp started using the double-check marks on the clips. Also, Victory pens are imprinted with either WAHL EVERSHARP or EVERSHARP. I believe the reason for this is because Eversharp changed their corporate name in 1941 from Wahl-Eversharp to Eversharp.

Edited by RoyalBear