1960S Parker Duofold Repairs In London?

Hunca Munca

Hello everyone - can anyone recommend somewhere where I can get my 1960s Parker Senior Duofold serviced, ideally in London? I used to go to Pen Friend, which sadly seems to have closed both its Burlington Arcade and Fleet Street shops. Thanks!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beechwood

• Hunca Munca

• usk15

• mitto

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're talking about English Duofold Senior, you can do it yourself. The nib (#5) n' feed are friction fit. Also the sac can be replaced. I have changed my nib with an Edison #5 fine and the pen is an excellent performer now:

23029522442_925f4582f7_b.jpg

23054036411_78c19e3f41_b.jpg

34516102645_922eb87a8f_b.jpg

These pens are normally very relaible and dont need much work, a through flush through with cool water normally improves the flow for example.

I cannot think of anyone in central London who does this work but I can recommend Eric Wilson in Edinburgh for all pen related problems.

If you can advise what it is that needs to be done then we can advise you better.

Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure I trust myself to dismantle the pen however!

I'm interested that you've replaced the nib though - my nib often won't write on the first stroke (a recent problem) but since the nib is the original from the 60s that my father first used at university and then I used through school and uni in the 80s and 90s (necessitating Pen Friend to straighten out one major bend about 10 years ago) I wonder whether a new nib might improve the writing. Any thoughts?

A pen repairer will be able to fix that problem, obviously you will need to send it away if you do not want to do the work yourself.

I would not suggest a replacement nib if your current nib only has a flow issue. Replacement Duofold 35 nibs are also quite difficult to find and therefore expensive.

Edited by Beechwood

Give the section of the pen a good soak and flush plus look for the tines if they are properly aligned. In most cases the clogged and dried up ink in the feed causes flow issues. I would align the tines myself but if that is the case and you dont feel comfortable aligning the tines, send the pen to a pro. Also see if the tines are too tightly together. Brass shims may be used for separating the tines.

Khan M. Ilyas

The nib on the English Aero Senior is #35 (sometime 30 from the NS/AF Duofolds) and not #5.

Khan M. Ilyas

The nib on the English Aero Senior is #35 (sometime 30 from the NS/AF Duofolds) and not #5.

Sorry for confusion. The original nib for a English Duofold senior is 35. Myself I replaced with a #5 fine nib from Edison.

Why not pay a visit to Henry Simpole? He can be found in the Admiral Vernon arcade at Portobello Market on Saturday mornings. Battersea Pen Home are also good and reputable (but only offer a mail order service) as is John Sorowka for nib work.

I just have their great pen repair book, but Jim Marshal or Laurence Oldfield could do repairs.

Or Peter Twydle, the son the grand teaching Repair man Arthur Twydle that marshal and Oldfield dedicated their book too, the Richard Binder of his day in England. Peter has books out on pens...don't think he has a repair book out.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to leave your very helpful comments. I think I'll drop Eric Wilson a line. Thanks again!