The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Mixing Herbin Cloud Grey?

ink mix

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kleinzeit

Kleinzeit

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 May 2017 - 12:09

Hey,

Has anyone mixed J. Herbin Cloud Grey with another colour with good results? I'd be interested in finding a combination as I find the grey a little too pale for me.

Also what ratio? 

Thanks!

Sponsored Content

#2 swanjun

swanjun

(Not really a lamb.)

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 May 2017 - 16:09

The one time I tried Gris Nuages was with a cartridge. It was too pale, so I added a few drops of Diamine Damson, and got a lovely purple-grey instead. I'm sorry I can't be more specific than that, but it definitely made the ink more legible!

#3 Mech-for-i

Mech-for-i

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 May 2017 - 16:28

I've now accustomed to my mix of J.Herbin Gris Nuage & Monteverde Black, the Monteverde come in 90ml and the J.Herbin 30ml , a perfect fit of 1:3 mix and it come out a very nice neutral dark grey without any bias to cool or warm which tends to be very apparent on other grey(s). The Gris Nuage itself is actually a little biased cool side; I've tried using it as a base to thin down other more saturated colors. BUT , well ; Needless to say just as any artist will tell you, mixing grey or black with colors usually do not yield a lighter / darker hue but just kind of muddle the hue instead. This is also true here, but since the base color of the grey here is so light its still applicable.

I have found that this ink mixed with Blue Black ( I've try Parker, MOntblanc, Hero, Pelikan, Waterman, and Pilot ) gives a somewhat dark greyish blue which actually sit quite well for office use. Its not so loud as the typical blue but yet not so dark as most saturated Blue Black might be. The ink also mix well with some ( saturated ) Red to give a muted dark red.

In general I think this ink , when mixed with others would work well with those saturated hue in the cool spectrum side better, with some green and some really dark red OK. otherwise other colors usually do not come out any good at all

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ink mix

Sponsored Content

|