Opinions On Starwalkers

DillonFriedmann

For some reason, I don't like the Starwalker. I see it as a deviation from the classic and beautiful pens Montblanc has produced for over a century. When I see a 149, I think beauty and grace. When I see a Starwalker, I think nouveau riche know-nothing. I wonder if I am alone in my disdain towards the Starwalkers.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A1979

• Nicholas Green

• oPENbooks

I've had 1 Starwalker the Cool blue version . For me I did like it for short writing bursts and the weight of it was ok the nib was typical Montblanc wet and super smooth can't say I'm against the pen and as a entry to Montblanc can't fault it . That said I still prefer my 1980s 149 .

The problem with Starwalkers is that most of those sold on ebay are fakes. So they are too much of a risk to buy at 'reasonable prices'. :(

I like the modern designs of the Starwalkers and the M. We live in the 21st century, so why not enjoy pens that reflect modern design esthetics? I also like (and own) 149s.

I think that different pens suit different settings and convey different messages. Pulling out a 149 at a business meeting says something different than pulling out a Starwalker. Picking a pen for an occasion is part of the pleasure of owning nice writing instruments, like choosing what to wear.

As for eBay fakes, I would only buy a new pen from Montblanc or a licensed dealer.

For some reason, I don't like the Starwalker. I see it as a deviation from the classic and beautiful pens Montblanc has produced for over a century. When I see a 149, I think beauty and grace. When I see a Starwalker, I think nouveau riche know-nothing. I wonder if I am alone in my disdain towards the Starwalkers.

+1

I also dislike cartridges, adding to the above.

I like the modern designs of the Starwalkers and the M. We live in the 21st century, so why not enjoy pens that reflect modern design esthetics? I also like (and own) 149s

+ 1

I have a Starwalker and I love it! It's my "flagship" pen. Style-wise, I respect the classics, but I like that MB have a modern pen too.

Part of reason is that pulling out a 149 is quite a flashy statement and makes me personally feel uncomfortable; in our office, they tend to be associated with contractors. Using a Starwalker (yes, even a carbon one, ahem) avoids some of that awkwardness. Might not be a problem for others :)

As for converters... I have a Faber-Castell converter and it works a treat. No need to stick with the MB carts at all!

What I don't like: the nib (AFAICT) only comes in 'round'; there's no OM/OB/OBB. My other MB is a 60s 22 OBB, which I love, and a Starwalker OM would probably be a perfect compliment.

I'm of a different opinion as I love the StarWalker design. More appropriately, I should say I loved the design. It was the first design that caught my eye from the brand. The clear acrylic dome with a floating star is a design feature that makes this line stand out. It's cool and understated at the same time. It creates depth in a cap design that other manufacturers often neglect.

The reason I said loved, was because I moved on to other MB designs that I also like. My current infatuation is the Mother of Pearl MB star found on the Meisterstuck models such as the classic black resin lineup, including the 90 Years Special Edition Soulitaire, and the Moon Pearl. The guilloché patterns to the Blue Hour, the 90 Years, and the Alfed Hitchcock also appeal to me.

I still enjoy the resin classics and have the 146 in gold, platinum, and ultra black. That wasn't always the case. When I first saw a Montblanc fountain pen, it reminded me of my grandmother. It was fancy to me. Too fancy IMHO. That was a few years ago.

What I can say about the StarWalker is that it was my gateway drug into the fountain pen community. Without it, I would have never purchased "the fancy" model and as such would have never discovered this underground world we all love so much. And my Avatar would also look out of place if not for that pen ✒️

Edited by 888007888

I have a Cool Blue Starwalker which I bought when they first came out several years ago and I love it. It's elegant, beautifully balanced (I don't post my pens) and the nib is excellent. I've been using the same Faber-Castell converter since I purchased the pen and it's excellent. I don't mind the Meisterstuck models but find them a little masculine for my taste. If I could only have 1 pen, it would be this one.

I have a Cool Blue Starwalker which I bought when they first came out several years ago and I love it. It's elegant, beautifully balanced (I don't post my pens) and the nib is excellent. I've been using the same Faber-Castell converter since I purchased the pen and it's excellent. I don't mind the Meisterstuck models but find them a little masculine for my taste. If I could only have 1 pen, it would be this one.

😉

I have a set of the original black resins. I've had them since they were first released.

I think they make excellent everyday writers. I don't like taking my limited edition pens out of the house so for me they make a perfect "at work" set of pens.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

I have a Starwalker. Horrible thing. Nail of a nib which can sometimes skip - not often but once is too many - and is short and fat. The section is also too fat for my comfort and I don't like the feel of the chequering on the stubby grip. And to cap it all, the cap is fat too and reminds me of those horrible Meganne cars with the bulbous boot.

I've tried to like it, honestly, but I can't.

I got it from Eurostar when redeeming some frequent traveller points. They had changed to the Starwalker from the previous and lovely MB Chopin, which my wife now has.

I have a Starwalker. Horrible thing. Nail of a nib which can sometimes skip - not often but once is too many - and is short and fat. The section is also too fat for my comfort and I don't like the feel of the chequering on the stubby grip. And to cap it all, the cap is fat too and reminds me of those horrible Meganne cars with the bulbous boot.

I think it was Borges the one stating that the hallmark of a good comparation (well, he talked about metaphors, but...) is in nobody thought of it before but, once expressed, it becomes obvious.

The Starwalker is like a Megane! exactly that!

Now: do you want to see a Starwalker properly designed? Have a look at the first year's Waterman Hundred Year Pen.

The Pen part, its OK, not what I would term great but decent. the design, now that's a love it or hate it affair and that's even between the different Starwalker models. I have one, and I like it, but some version l really do not care for. There is no saying that Montblanc must produce a pen in always the classic styling right .. there are and there were other Montblanc models that are even worse ( style vise )

I happen to have a Starwalker 100 year special edition in my collection which I bought back in 2006.

post-118467-0-18508200-1495945592_thumb.jpg

As a whole, I really do like the look of the pen, but that being said, I really do think that they could have done a better job with regards to the look of the nib.

post-118467-0-32504200-1495945648_thumb.jpg

post-118467-0-17489400-1495960749_thumb.jpg

post-118467-0-21591300-1495960865_thumb.jpg

I believe that if they paid more attention to the nib design from an aesthetic point of view and produced it as a slender piston filler, then it would be a really nice pen.

I tend to agree others in earlier posts that cartridges are a sin and that piston fillers are just better. Cartridges and converters are a compromise in my opinion.

I suppose for the price its not a bad pen and a good entry point for young people to get bitten by the "Montblanc bug", as it may appeal to them more than other Montblanc models initially, but as we all know, it doesn't usually end with you buying only one pen!

Edited by Nicholas Green

I have a few StarWalkers. This is the favorite of the bunch. 1906 Diamond.

post-118452-0-62760100-1495949243_thumb.jpg

post-118452-0-34312900-1495949271_thumb.jpg

I have a few StarWalkers. This is the favorite of the bunch. 1906 Diamond.

Gorgeous!

I happen to have a Starwalker 100 year special edition in my collection which I bought back in 2006.

IMG_7555.JPG

As a whole, I really do like the look of the pen, but that being said, I really do think that they could have done a better job with regards to the look of the nib.

IMG_7557 copy.jpg

IMG_6921 copy.jpg

IMG_6926 copy.jpg

I believe that if they paid more attention to the nib design from an aesthetic point of view and produced it as a slender piston filler, then it would be a really nice pen.

I tend to agree others in earlier posts that cartridges are a sin and that piston fillers are just better. Cartridges and converters are a compromise in my opinion.

I suppose for the price its not a bad pen and a good entry point for young people to get bitten by the "Montblanc bug", as it may appeal to them more than other Montblanc models initially, but as we all know, it doesn't usually end with you buying only one pen!

Nice photo edits. Show off the cap and nib well with the closeups. Strangely, I have found that depending on the finish and particular color of the SarWalker, some nibs look better than others. Either way, I'm still a big fan.