Pelikan M215 Rectangle: The Grail Pen!

JPM-10

My GRAIL-PEN:

The Pelican M215 with rectangles is a kind of grail pen for me. Not because it is such an expensive pen but for a very different reason.

As a teacher of mathematics and engineer, I have a lot to do with drawing straight lines, straight angles and geometric figures. If you have to draw a rectangle on a blank sheet of paper, you can do so by drawing the lines longer than necessary to make a proper right angle. You will eventually end up with rectangles as on the Pelikan M215 pen.
This M215 series of pelican also includes a variant with rings and with diamonds. Also fun, but less special in my view. Ring and diamond patterns can be found on many more pens. The way the rectangle stands on this pen is really unique. You will not come across any other fountain pen, as far as I know.
Therefore: as a technician, math teacher and fan of Pelican pens this is THE grail-pen for me.

What is your GRAIL-Pen and why?

post-113396-0-04853400-1495439689_thumb.jpg

post-113396-0-89777800-1495439705_thumb.jpg

post-113396-0-03568700-1495439725_thumb.jpg

post-113396-0-64207600-1495439752_thumb.jpg

Edited by JPM-10

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JPM-10

• Bo Bo Olson

• yeepers

• BillH

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is a nice pen and I see you upgraded the nib from the stock steel. Congrats on getting your grail and I hope it serves you well!

Congratulation! I always wondered it there was some significance to that pattern. Thanks for answering that question for me!

Fair winds and following seas.

I agree that the rectangles is the most interesting of the three variants. That may explain why you hardly ever see it on ebay (though there is one up now).

My grail was the Ruby M320. I 'settled' for a M300 and, though I did end up getting a Ruby (and it is gorgeous), I've fallen in love with the little green-stripe.

Of choosing a new grail, well, the new Renaissance Brown is pretty spectacular (and possibly even affordable) but I think I would really have to go with the Fahrney's Mars Red M201.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Mine will always be the Spirit of Gaudi... :wub:

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

Well I find the stock steel to be just grand....as good as my '90-97 M400 or my Celebry's (in both steel = gold) or 381....so outside of bling factor.....I don't see it as a upgrade.

:yikes: :unsure: It's a modern fat and blobby 400's nib....so I see it as a down grade.

In I had a slew of 400's ('50-65 ones plus a '90-96 M400 Tortoise) , the Celebries and 381, didn't need a 200, but having trans-mailed some to a pal in England became very impressed with them, so bought a 215 Lozenge, M nib. Later buying the Amethyst, and a W.Germany 200.

I find the 200's nibs = to my semi-vintage nibs..gold or steel.........and would never buy modern again. I had my 605 running a semi-flex B for a while, until I got the 605's nib stubbed........still just as butter smooth, but with a bit of character.

Hopefully you still got the real nib. ;)

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

That's interesting. I associated the random rectangles with 1950s design esthetics and never thought they looked "mathematical." I always liked the Parker 75 silver Cisele however, because the pattern reminds me of graph paper.

I like the Geodreieck - now, that's a classic!

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

The nib upgrade is only because of the looks of it. The reflection of the light on this 14ct nib is very soft and Mysterious. So much beter then the reflection of the steel nib.

The steel nib is also nice and smooth, but for the overall look of the pen i prefer the rhodium14ct nib.

Makes the pen even more special and unique for me.

SO.. If you want to buy a pen like this go and ask your math teacher or an engineer. They are probably the proud owners of these pens.

...The Pelican M215 with rectangles...

Same for me. I've been looking for one of these for a couple of years.

"The Great Roe is a mythological beast with the head of a lion and the body of a lion, but not the same lion."

My Personal Blog | My Creative Writing Blog | My Heraldry Designs

http://dcroe05.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/crestdr.png?w=100

My grail pen is a Yard-o-Led Viceroy Victorian Standard. I saw a photo of one (there was a thread called "Show Us Your Silver Pens") when I first joined FPN and it was just SOOO beautiful.

There problem for me is that they are SOOO expensive. And I fear that it would be too heavy for me to use -- and what's the point of having a pen that can't be used?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Very nice story and pen. Thanks for sharing.

I had never looked into this one from this perspective.

And I really liked the looks of the 14K rhodium nib in it. I may have to look into putting one in my M215 blue, which took me a long time to find.

Grail pen?

For me is the M450 green tortoise and M910 Toledo (why restrict ourselves to just one? ;) ).

I already thought people did not understand the patern on the pen. There are some old post on this network in wich the writers have a negative opinion over the design of this pen. I totaly disagree and with me a lot more pen-lovers as the pen can hardly be found on E-bay or other outlets. The people who own one treasure it is my gues. So there must be something special to the design :excl:

Most people tend to link fountainpens to script, languages and famous writers, great historical names and so on. Not to math, but the moment I first laid my eyes on this pen, I knew I had to buy it. It is truly a UNIQUE design for a fountainpen and I thank the design department of Pelikan they produced it.

Must have been a math loving designer I think. :)

New idea: Produce a pen dedicated to the value of PI. I made a sugestion and sended a rough design to the company PI-lot, but they were not in for this idea. What would be a company willing to produce such a Pi-Pen? Any sugestions? I'll send them my scetch for free if they give me one Pi-pen for free.

Edited by JPM-10

The Pelikan M215 is a delicious writer ! It is a genuinely handsome pen. There is the Lozenge, the Rectangle, and the Circle. Is there a forth ?

I am happy for you, that you found a "grail" pen, that gives you such pleasure. It is good that you are content. May you never be satisfied, and continue to seek, and discover treasures along the way.

I believe the best part of every journey is THE GOING .

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

The forth is a blue one with a few stipes from top to toe.

Also nice, but like stated less special then the rectangle one.

I agree the M215 writes like a dream. I also have A Pelican 101N (1938), a 400 (1952) a Silvexa (1965) a M400 (2013) and a M200 (2015), but to be honsest the M215 can compete with the M400 (2013). Due to the increased weight it feels real nice in your hands.

The 101N is also very nice, a Grail Pen in itself, but as it is very old I do not use it on a daily basis. I keep it locked save in my drawer most of the time.

I can see a '80's-97 gold nib .......if one wants both gold looks and performance as good as a springy 200's nib nice ride and clean line.

I also like the vintage semi-flex clean line.

Either are 1/2 a width narrower than modern.

I shy away from even thinking about all those pretty 600's....and luckily have enough real 400's....in what am I to do with the modern fat&blobby substandard nib of a 400/600?

I do understand why they are so made, but that don't mean I have to buy them.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

The forth is a blue one with a few stipes from top to toe.

Also nice, but like stated less special then the rectangle one.

Ahhhh! how can you get it sooooo wrong!? It is the blue the special one, not the rectangles'

To each its own, I suppose... ;)

(every think else, I fully agree with you)

If I remember correctly, the blue one was the first and also the lowest production of the four... will have to go look that up. Would love to have one someday regardless, it's a great looking pen.

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

All of the M215s are special in their own way. The blue striped was once a grail of mine in earlier collecting days. Took over a year to source one.

fpn_1495762393__pelikan71.jpg

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

• 2 weeks later...

I found the pen on E-bay in quala lumpur. Took me only one week tto find and buy one.

Good luck!