Shading Violet Ink ?

csgebhart

My current favorite ink is Robert Oster Fire & Ice because I love how it shades, and turquoise is one of my favorite colors. Another of my favorite colors is violet, but I haven't found a violet ink that shades nicely yet. I've sampled a lot of inks that are lovely colors, but rather flat. I would prefer an ink that isn't too far into the red range; more true violet or leaning towards the blue range. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Edited by csgebhart

~ Cheryl >^..^<

My inks I'm willing to trade: Aurora (Black), Blackstone (Barrier Reef Blue), BunguBox (L'Amant), Callifolio (Violet), Cross (Blue), De Atramentis (Archive Black, Document Violet), Diamine (Ancient Copper, Eau De Nil, Green Umber, Prussian Blue, Sherwood Green, Steel Blue, Twilight), KWZ (Gummiberry), Levenger (Forest), Monteverde (California Teal, Fireopal), Nemosine (Alpha Centauri), Noodler's (Blue Ghost, Bulletproof Black, Lexington Gray, Polar Brown), Parker Quink (Black), Pelikan 4001 (Brilliant Brown, Turquoise), Pelikan Edelstein (Olivine), Pilot Iroshizuku (Ama-Iro, Ku-Jaku, Syo-Ro), Private Reserve (Purple Mojo, Sepia), Robert Oster (Fire & Ice, Lake of Fire, Marine, Soda Pop Blue, Tranquility), Sailor Jentle (Oku-Yama, Souten), Sailor Shikiori (Yodaki), Taccia (Cha), Waterman (Absolute Brown, Harmonious Green, Inspired Blue, Tender Purple).

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• csgebhart

• pajaro

• ParkerDuofold

Top Posters In This Topic

My current favorite ink is Robert Oster Fire & Ice because I love how it shades, and turquoise is one of my favorite colors. Another of my favorite colors is violet, but I haven't found a violet ink that shades nicely yet. I've sampled a lot of inks that are lovely colors, but rather flat. I would prefer an ink that isn't too far into the red range; more true violet or leaning towards the blue range. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Hello CS,

Check out Violette Pensee by J. Herbin, (all of their inks are great shaders); IIRC, also check out Aubergine by DeA.

I know most people don't have the time, but you may want to check these (and other) violets out in the review section here and check out the writing samples.

- Anthony

Another vote for Cross Violet. It's kind of medium dark that shades darker so the shading isn't as dramatic as, say, Lie de The but the color is beautiful and you might see a bit of dark green sheen in the shading.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Hello CS,

Check out Violette Pensee by J. Herbin, (all of their inks are great shaders); IIRC, also check out Aubergine by DeA.

I know most people don't have the time, but you may want to check these (and other) violets out in the review section here and check out the writing samples.

- Anthony

Hello Anthony,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have a sample of the Violette Pensee, and I actually didn't see any shading. What I did notice was that while the ink was wet it had more of a pink cast to it, but once dry it was bluer. Not sure whether the pen I was using or the paper had something to do with the lack of shading.

I also have a sample of the Aubergine, which is VERY dark.

~ Cheryl >^..^<

My inks I'm willing to trade: Aurora (Black), Blackstone (Barrier Reef Blue), BunguBox (L'Amant), Callifolio (Violet), Cross (Blue), De Atramentis (Archive Black, Document Violet), Diamine (Ancient Copper, Eau De Nil, Green Umber, Prussian Blue, Sherwood Green, Steel Blue, Twilight), KWZ (Gummiberry), Levenger (Forest), Monteverde (California Teal, Fireopal), Nemosine (Alpha Centauri), Noodler's (Blue Ghost, Bulletproof Black, Lexington Gray, Polar Brown), Parker Quink (Black), Pelikan 4001 (Brilliant Brown, Turquoise), Pelikan Edelstein (Olivine), Pilot Iroshizuku (Ama-Iro, Ku-Jaku, Syo-Ro), Private Reserve (Purple Mojo, Sepia), Robert Oster (Fire & Ice, Lake of Fire, Marine, Soda Pop Blue, Tranquility), Sailor Jentle (Oku-Yama, Souten), Sailor Shikiori (Yodaki), Taccia (Cha), Waterman (Absolute Brown, Harmonious Green, Inspired Blue, Tender Purple).

Hello Anthony,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have a sample of the Violette Pensee, and I actually didn't see any shading. What I did notice was that while the ink was wet it had more of a pink cast to it, but once dry it was bluer. Not sure whether the pen I was using or the paper had something to do with the lack of shading.

I also have a sample of the Aubergine, which is VERY dark.

Hi CS,

You're right about the Aubergine, (thats why I said "IIRC," I must have been thinking of another, but can't recall its name).

I get shading from the Herbin VP with my Al-Star; although, not as much as some other Herbin colors, but I still get shading. What pen did you use? Is it a wet or dry writer?

- Anthony

I haven't got this one myself, but it is on my wishlist : L'Artisan Pastellier Callifolio Violet - there is a review here that shows the shading. Not sure how available it is worldwide.

I do have Diamine Lavender and Sheaffer Skrip Purple, and neither of those shade.

Hi CS,

You're right about the Aubergine, (thats why I said "IIRC," I must have been thinking of another, but can't recall its name).

I get shading from the Herbin VP with my Al-Star; although, not as much as some other Herbin colors, but I still get shading. What pen did you use? Is it a wet or dry writer?

- Anthony

Sorry, I just had to look up what IIRC meant. I've been online for many years, but that was one I wasn't familiar with.

The pen I used for the Herbin VP was a Waterman with a medium nib. And sorry, I don't know whether it's a wet or dry writer. I had never heard those terms until recently and am still not sure how to tell. Especially because there are wet and dry writing pens and wet and dry inks - seems like too many variables to solve easily (at least to me) :wacko: .

Edited by csgebhart

~ Cheryl >^..^<

I haven't got this one myself, but it is on my wishlist : L'Artisan Pastellier Callifolio Violet - there is a review here that shows the shading. Not sure how available it is worldwide.

I do have Diamine Lavender and Sheaffer Skrip Purple, and neither of those shade.

Oooohh! That L'Artisan Pastellier Callifolio Violet looks gorgeous! I'm going to have to get a sample of that one!! Thanks LizB!!

~ Cheryl >^..^<

Right now I am using Kaweco Summer Purple, and it shades even with a fine nib. It doesn't lean toward blue, but you might want to take a look.

+1 on Callifolio Violet. It has a nice sheen as well as shading.

Another favorite shader is DeAtramentis Pearl Violet (http://www.andersonpens.com/De-Atramentis-Pearl-Violet-Fountain-Pen-Ink-Sample-p/sample-da-1062.htm) I looked for a review here on FPN, but there are no pictures with it.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

I have a couple of Sailor inks, a violet and a purple. Everything is in Japanese, I'll try to find the names. These are on the bluish side.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

The Japanese-sold purple: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121730504682?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This is info only. you might find it cheaper.

The Sailor violet I bought from a US source, I think Jetpens.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Have you checked out the purple page? (See the link in the signature) We have some great shading and sheening purples.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Colors/Purple/15-Akkerman.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/2014-Ink_2247.jpg

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/2014-Ink_2246.jpg

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/2014-Ink_2220.jpg