Eversharp Symphony Photo Thread

PenHero

Hi, Folks!

This is a first generation Eversharp Symphony in blue c. 1948. It was designed by Paris, France born industrial designer Raymond Loewy (1893-1986), who emigrated to the United States in 1919 and started his own design company in 1927. He designed numerous consumer goods, emphasizing streamlining and modern materials, including the Coca Cola bottle, the Lucky Strike logo, toothbrushes, radios, electric razors, the Studebaker Avanti (the only car design exhibited in the Louvre) and the streamlined Electrolux vacuums, which may have inspired the Symphony's original “slipper” caps. Eversharp had high hopes that engaging this famous designer would help recreate the magic and success of the Henry Dreyfuss-designed Skyline. These first year pens are notable for the original Loewy design of the “slipper” cap, where the cap has slightly offset halves, with a pronounced “step” edge at the top. If viewed from the side, the bottom half of the cap (opposite from the clip) extends farther than the top half, giving it the distinctive asymmetrical “slipper” look. These are the only Symphonys with a metal thread ring in the section and "EVERSHARP SYMPHONY" and "MADE IN U.S.A." stamped just below. The clip face is angled and there is no cap band. The nib and feed is essentially the same as in the previous Skyline pens. Barrel colors were black, blue, green, and red. The fountain pen, model 500, sold for $5.00, and the matching Repeater pencil, model 1500, sold for $3.75.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/EversharpSymphonyBlue_2048_01.jpg

Thanks!

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenHero

• Ted F

• tleek

• Addertooth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, Folks!

This is a third generation Eversharp Symphony Blue fountain pen with a brushed steel cap c. 1951-1952. This 5 1/2 inch long lever-fill model lacks the previous version's Loewy "slipper" cap design in favor of a simpler, streamlined "bullet" cap. Eversharp did not use the Symphony name in advertising these pens, but the only real difference in the second and third generation is the cap. The clip is stamped MADE IN U.S.A. over EVERSHARP on the face. They can be found in Black, Blue, Burgundy and Green. These pens have a long breather tube that extends from the end of the section into the ink sac. Note the nib is smaller and plainer, stamped with EVERSHARP over 14K. The standard model 701 Symphony fountain pen sold for $5.00, so this pen either sold for the same or less.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/EversharpSymphony_2048_12.jpg
Thanks!

Hi Folks!

This is a third generation Eversharp Symphony Blue fountain pen with a polished steel cap c. 1951-1952. This 5 1/2 inch long lever-fill model lacks the previous version's Loewy "slipper" cap design in favor of a simpler, streamlined "bullet" cap. Eversharp did not use the Symphony name in advertising these pens, but the only real difference in the second and third generation is the cap. The gold plated clip is stamped MADE IN U.S.A. over EVERSHARP on the face. They can be found in Black, Blue, Burgundy and Green. These pens have a long breather tube that extends from the end of the section into the ink sac. Note the banner style nib, stamped with EVERSHARP over 14K over MADE IN U.S.A. This model sold for $5.00 and $8.75 in a set with a matching pencil.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/EversharpSymphonyBlue_2048_02.jpg

Thanks!

Hi Folks!

This is a third generation Eversharp Symphony Black fountain pen with a polished steel cap c. 1951-1952. This 5 1/2 inch long lever-fill model lacks the previous version's Loewy "slipper" cap design in favor of a simpler, streamlined "bullet" cap. Eversharp did not use the Symphony name in advertising these pens, but the only real difference in the second and third generation is the cap. The gold plated clip is stamped MADE IN U.S.A. over EVERSHARP on the face. They can be found in Black, Blue, Burgundy and Green. These pens have a long breather tube that extends from the end of the section into the ink sac. Note the banner style nib, stamped with EVERSHARP over 14K over MADE IN U.S.A. This model sold for $5.00 and $8.75 in a set with a matching pencil.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/EversharpSymphony_2048_13.jpg

Thanks!

Hi Folks!

This is a third generation Eversharp Symphony Green fountain pen with a polished steel cap c. 1951-1952. This 5 1/2 inch long lever-fill model lacks the previous version's Loewy "slipper" cap design in favor of a simpler, streamlined "bullet" cap. Eversharp did not use the Symphony name in advertising these pens, but the only real difference in the second and third generation is the cap. The gold plated clip is stamped MADE IN U.S.A. over EVERSHARP on the face. They can be found in Black, Blue, Burgundy and Green. These pens have a long breather tube that extends from the end of the section into the ink sac. Note the nib is stamped with EVERSHARP over 14CT over OSMI over RIDIUM indicating a pen, or at least a nib for the European market. This model sold in the USA for $5.00 and $8.75 in a set with a matching pencil.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/EversharpSymphony_2048_14.jpg

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Here are two types of Eversharp Symphony pens (with one pencil) that I have (here, navy blue and burgundy). I also have them in green and black. The second photo is a closer view of the nibs. The right-hand side Symphony pens have gold-ish caps that don't really look like typical gold. Are those caps made of gold or some other yellowish metal?

fpn_1589558104__symphony_-_01.jpeg

fpn_1589558136__symphony_-_02.jpeg

Here are two types of Eversharp Symphony pens (with one pencil) that I have (here, navy blue and burgundy). I also have them in green and black. The second photo is a closer view of the nibs. The right-hand side Symphony pens have gold-ish caps that don't really look like typical gold. Are those caps made of gold or some other yellowish metal?

Nice! If they are 14K gold they would be hallmarked. Probably gold plated or gold filled.

By the way, PenHero, your photos here are excellent. Are you using a real digital camera or a smart phone?

By the way, PenHero, your photos here are excellent. Are you using a real digital camera or a smart phone?

I use a DSLR with a fixed macro lens. Lighting is actually equal to or more important than the camera. I have professional lights and a light tent.

• 2 months later...

I think I am going to grab a symphony. I’m new to vintage pens, having bought my first sheaffer balance last week. I assume the earlier generations are more collectible, but in terms of performance, are they pretty equal?

In terms of writing, I would say they are on par with the less flexy Skyline pens. The flexy Skyline pens are a true treasure to write with.

fpn_1589938503__gold_award_with_flex_wri

In terms of writing, I would say they are on par with the less flexy Skyline pens. The flexy Skyline pens are a true treasure to write with.

fpn_1589938503__gold_award_with_flex_wri

Thanks, I’m looking at a skyline and symphony marked flexible.

Are the flexible nibs different?

Well I just ordered this from Peyton Street Pens

Seems like it was pretty pricey but I like that its first gen and I like the green. I just bought my first vintage pen last week so new to that side of the game. Im excited to try a vintage flex nib.

40024AEC-FBEA-4FEE-91AE-8E8E43B1A07D.jpeg

Edited by tleek