Andreas Lambrou Books

mke

@PaulS

> I also have all three of the Parker books - they aren't cheap either :o - but so much useful information if you collect Parker pens.

Which books? Can you tell me the title, please? Thank you.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mke

• PaulS

• Bo Bo Olson

• corgicoupe

I compared the Fountain pens of the World with the part shown in Look-into-the-book @amazon of "Fountain Pens : United States of America and United Kingdom".
Identical - word-by-word.

I wish I knew if the 130 pages from the World book are just copied into the US book - and what the other 120 pages are.

Actually, I was quite disappointed by book #4 'Fountain Pens of Japan'. I desperately needed a good reference book on Japanese pens to help me decide which pens to collect, so I placed an order for the book before it was published. Upon receiving it, I was so shocked to find the many full page ads of Ambrou's Classic Pens inside. The presence of the 'ads' not only eroded the book's value as a reference book but made the book more bulky and, therefore, more expensive. Would the book be better off with the sole authorship of Mr. Sunami with help from a good editor, I don't know.

When the book was first published it was reviewed by one of the FPN moderators, but nothing was said about that. I know that the fountain pen community is a small group of people with a niche interest, so we should keep everything cordial and friendly, so I have remained silent until now. However, I think potential buyers of 'Fountain Pens of Japan' should be aware of the fact before buying.

Edited by mchenart

As lovely as these books are... I'm not sure I'd necessarily want to pay full price for them... especially as they seem to be limited print runs of them.

Maybe I'm too young of a whipper-snapper, but I wouldn't mind a less expensive eBook edition of these just as a reference...

• 2 weeks later...

I just got another book which is mostly about US pens.

Looks quite good on the first view, especially as most photos are in colours and also not so expensive pens are well-covered.

You can find the newer editions on Abebooks LINK and the older version (which I have now) on Amazon LINK.

Might be enough together with the "Fountain Pens of the World".

sincere apologies for the delay in replying re the Parker books - really don't know how I missed seeing the request for details :blush:

In date order of publication, these are ....................

'Parker 51' - David & Mark Shepherd - pub. 2004 by Surrenden Pens Ltd., Brighton, U.K.

'Parker Duofold' - David Shepherd & Dan Zazove - pub. 2006 by Surrenden Pens Ltd., Brighton, U.K.

'Parker Vacumatic' - Geoffrey Parker, David Shepherd & Dan Zazove - pub. 2008 by Surrenden Pens Ltd., Brighton, U.K.

Actually, I was quite disappointed by book #4 'Fountain Pens of Japan'. I desperately needed a good reference book on Japanese pens to help me decide which pens to collect, so I placed an order for the book before it was published. Upon receiving it, I was so shocked to find the many full page ads of Ambrou's Classic Pens inside. The presence of the 'ads' not only eroded the book's value as a reference book but made the book more bulky and, therefore, more expensive. Would the book be better off with the sole authorship of Mr. Sunami with help from a good editor, I don't know.

When the book was first published it was reviewed by one of the FPN moderators, but nothing was said about that. I know that the fountain pen community is a small group of people with a niche interest, so we should keep everything cordial and friendly, so I have remained silent until now. However, I think potential buyers of 'Fountain Pens of Japan' should be aware of the fact before buying.

I too was disappointed in "FPs of Japan" by Lambrou. Because it was an expensive book to ship to Canada I tried to find any reviews on it. I was not successful in my search (partially because of my own computer skills). Then I personally contacted someone within the Californian pen community whose posts I have followed since joining FPN, someone whose knowledge of Japanese pens is very extensive.

I was advised that the FPs of Japan book may not be for everyone & particularly not for those people whose main interest is mostly the "every day" models manufactured by the Japanese Big Three.

That of course describes me. I am interested in both the current & recent vintage mid-price range (with gold nib) fountain pens from Sailor Pilot & Platinum.

I was told that many pens that were on display in the Lambrou book belonged to the "non obtainum" category, though the section on urushi was beautifully illustrated & well explained. I love looking at urushi art on fountain pens, but these instruments are far beyond the price range that I can reasonably afford.

Despite the sage advice I still bought the book. After reading through all the chapters & the index in the rear, I decided to pass this book on to a good friend. I'm still waiting for someone to write a book about every day Japanese pens of excellent quality.

The section on the Classic fountain pens released by Lambrou was lovely to behold. Again, these pens would be of interest to a collector with deep pockets & refined taste.

This is my own 0.02 CAD about this particular book.

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

quote .......... "a collector with deep pockets & refined taste." for most of us the last part isn't a problem - it's just the deep pockets that are difficult.

• 2 weeks later...

> Fountain Pens: United States of America and United Kingdom

I had the chance to buy the US/UK book new for 50% off. Despite the chance, that this was thrown out money, I bought it.

And I just compared the US/UK book with the World book.

Guess, what.

At least 90% is recycled from the WORLD book, word by word. The pens from the US/UK book are cut out of the large pictures of the WORLD book and distributed differently along with the coy&paste text.

There are some pages added to the main chapters and two or three US manufacturers are newly added.

The UK chapter seems to be somewhat different. I will recheck this part and give an update another time. Reaching the UK part, I was already exhausted from seeing double, so I stopped the comparison.