Andreas Lambrou Books

mke

Do you have them all?

1) Fountain Pens of the World

2) Fountain Pens. Vintage and Modern
3) Fountain Pens: United States of America and United Kingdom
4) Fountain Pens of Japan

Did I miss one?

I have 1), 2) and 4). Is it worth to buy also 3) ?

Just bought 2) at Amazon Marketplace for 10 USD - quality level good. :)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mke

• PaulS

• Bo Bo Olson

• corgicoupe

Nice books,high quality and a lot of information.You got a real bargain for the the price. Congratulations.

Japanese recycle book shops need space for Japanese books. If a Western book cannot be sold, the price drops quickly. Yes, I consider me lucky, especially seeing the prices on abebooks.

They should come up with an ebook in this day and age.. (I know I know you are going to say what about fountain pens then....)

I have 1) & 3).

I'm certainly in the minority, but I was quite disappointed to see that 3) is exactly a subset of 1), with perhaps a few pictures that are different, but same text and no deeper information on the pens (model variations, for example) or coverage of models not already represented in 1). I see absolutely no point in 3) and, in fact, the author lost quite a few points "in my book" because of that.

I have no intention of buying the others.

The subset problem is exactly what I feared. Thank you for the warning.

As if he didn't have enough money.

I remember ZZTop saying, they do not need to milk a cow twice. That was when they brought out the album set 1-6 as CD. They said, this set was to thank their fans and give them a better quality sound.

So, I would expect a clear description what is different in a new book. And if there is nothing new, it should be said so.

I have the '89 edition Fountain pens (Vintage and Modern) there is a later edition, and can never afford any of his others.

Not enough folks die who have decedents who don't care for fountain pens. Even used his books are too expensive for me.

With out that '89 copy in German...and I'd prefer it in English, I'd be totally lost. I'd copied megs of info off the threads....but it was not organized, so I was still real ignorant, until I got his early book.

I don't think he "made enough money" off selling a fountain pen book.....how many copies..........5,000, 3,000 or so on each???? Fountain pens is a small niche market. That's is why the books are so expensive, there are so few.

If there were more sold, the dead's used market would have had more copies of his books at cheaper prices.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I meant money from his pen business not from his books.

It is OK to make money from books too. But if 3) is really a subset of 1), this is simply not good if it is not said so. (Please don't forget that I am using "IF"!!)

Is the later "edition" really a new edition?

I just re-checked abebooks where you can order by publication year.

1989 first impression

1990 second impression

1993 third impression

They are not all from the same publisher, however.

Later, there are only translations.

So, it seems that there is only one edition with several impressions.

Edited by mke

Good to know, I was under the impression there was a 'second edition' that was a bit fuller than my '89.

I didn't need US&UK, having enough with mainland Europe.

Same goes for Japanese. I'd not minded a book on that, in I am ignorant out side the 5 pages in the book and lots of drool marks on my keyboard on the expensive LE's.

:headsmack: I could go to a local library and order a copy to read. :wallbash:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I bought the 1989 edition (4th impression) at the 2015 Atlanta pen show for $5, and then walked across the room to ask Andreas to sign it. As he did, he remarked, "This is the best one."

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

Great!!!!

I'll go pet that book and tell it it's as good as I first thought. ;)

> I bought the 1989 edition (4th impression)

Which book?????

Meanwhile the book "FP pens Vintage and Modern" 1989 edition (1st impression) has arrived. I highly recommend it.

I was lucky, my copy was a collectors item - I found several newspaper clippings in it - all related to FP.

Fountain Pens Vintage & Modern

Robert Frost

But how is it possible?

4th impression, I have checked abebooks for the publishing years - and there is nowhere a 4th impression mentioned.

1989 first impression (by many publishers)

1990 second impression

1993 third impression

2004 xxx impression

From which publisher is your book? Mine is from Sotheby's Publications, London.

in standard 'book' parlance, the word impression means exactly that - an impression of the previously published book i.e. simply a copy of an earlier edition - the main reason for this, usually, is that there is sufficient public demand to warrant a further print run. Sometimes this is referred to in the book as 'Reprinted'.

The first printing of a book is usually referred to as the first edition, with subsequent editions referred to as 'Second edition - Third edition etc. etc.', and we then have to assume there have been alterations, amendments, additions etc.

My copy of 'Fountain Pens Vintage and Modern' is dated 1989 and says 'Fist published 1989 for Sotheby's Publications etc.' - I don't see the word 'impression' anywhere. I've really no idea, but the thought crossed my mind as to whether some of the illustrations had been used previously in some form of publication - not the text I wouldn't suggest - just possibly some of the images. Could well be wrong of course.

I appreciate the obvious reason for Sotheby's involvement in the vintage/modern pen market, but wondered quite why an author would go, as a first choice, to Sotheby's rather than a standard non-auction house publisher for these books.

As for repetition, if you compare the above book with Lambrou's volume 'Fountain Pens - United States of America and United Kingdom', there are chunks of identical text that appear in both. That's not to say I wouldn't have both - fortunately there is sufficient difference to warrant buying both.

Had #1 & #4.

Very pricey books. Gorgeous pictures but the text seemed a bit awkward. After reading them through I sold them both.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

our choice of books does obviously depend to some extent on the sort of pens we collect. It's arguable maybe that, from the above list, No. 1 may be a tad over comprehensive, whilst No. 4 might be of interest if someone had a specific interest in Japanese pens.

I also have all three of the Parker books - they aren't cheap either :o - but so much useful information if you collect Parker pens.

fpn_1495667096__photos_and_videos_from_s

Robert Frost

If the d/j blurb on the first printing in 1989 is no different from the d/j on the fourth impression, and there's no comment about additional material, then must assume all four printings are identical in content. Perhaps this pleased all involved that the book's popularity warranted all these extra copies ....... so pen collecting must be joining mainstream collecting B)

This picture is really a good information. So you have the 4th impression from 1995 (which is identical to the other impressions).

Regarding impressions. Usually, there is no new content in a new impression. Eventually, a few errors have been corrected but no changes. But also this is rare.