• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chrissy

• biancitwo

• Charles Rice

• LizB

The review says well lubricated, but in my M600, with a relatively fine italic, it seems a little less lubricated. I won't know for sure until I try a known well lubricated ink in that pen. I was writing on Clairfontaine, which is quite smooth. Yet, it seemed to drag a bit. I prefer no drag. It may be that I have written very little with this nib and am not yet accustomed to it.

I cleaned my Pelikan M600, with its finer italic nib, and replaced the Blood Orange with Iroshizuku Asa Gao. The difference is night and day. Asa Gao is well lubricated. My M600 glides now across even cheaper paper. I look forward to trying Blood Orange in my wettest writer.

• 4 weeks later...

Lubrication is sometimes a tricky aspect to assess when reviewing inks. Reviewers choose pens, and papers, then they can say how lubricated an ink felt in those pens on those papers, while writing.

My Clairefontaine Triomphe writing paper actually has some drag to it, where the nib sinks into the surface slightly. Certainly more drag than the 100gsm paper that I used for this review.

I love smooth surface papers like Apica and Mnemosyne, but others like to feel some slight resistance. Each to their own I suppose. :)

• 2 weeks later...

This works in every pen I have. Fun and non-distracting tonal variations to be had in a mid wet medium nib. On the correct papers, Pilot CH74 shades beautifully despite being a rather fine nib.

• 11 months later...

I have this thing for burnt-orange/red colors, but, as I already have Ancient Copper, I'm trying to decide if Blood Orange is different enough to get as well.

Scans are tricky sometimes. They look awful close to one another.

Sometimes, I swear that it seems like the ink base is so close when comparing inks, especially if the inks come from the same manufacturer, it's near on impossible to separate two close inks like this, without doing water dropper splashes or chromatography.

I recently got a couple of bottles of ink (same orange-red range), did my usual q-tip swab thing with both, and well as a paper chromatography just for the heck of it, and, I honestly thought that I had received the same ink, in two different labeled bottles when I was done.

It wasn't until I took my samples outside in various lights, that I saw the difference, yet it was so tiny, I still wondered.

Whats maddening is that the mfgr web site swabs were noticeably different. I know paper absorbency makes a difference, and seemingly a more porous paper sometimes makes inks look completely different, when compared to their non-porous smoother cousins.

Edited by djmaher

.....the Heart has it's reasons, which Reason knows nothing of.....

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve tried Blood Orange in two other pens, a wildly wet Omas, and a Pelikan 100, with a flexible EF nib. The wet Omas actually dripped. It was drop dead gorgeous, but the flow was overwhelming. The Pelikan 100, however, is wonderful. The color is deep, and the shading superb. I loved this review, and I have a pen nib combination that looks just as good. Thank you.

• 9 months later...

Has anyone found this ink makes nib crud at all? (Along the Ancient Copper lines.)

Instagram @inkysloth