Praise For Jinhao Pens

I have recently obtained another X750 - the one with "chessboard" design.

That pen - better that nib is writing so smooth - on all sorts of papers. In addition it is on the lower end of the line widths my X750/X450 produce.

Among all my pens, including a very high-end Swiss pen, this is clearly the best.

And it was only 2.6 USD (@ 7th anniversary sales of Aliexpress). That really makes me think twice buying other expensive pens, despite having become a Parker addict recently.

If Jinhao would be just a little bit more clever and would offer some less broad nibs ...

Did nobody ever mention this to them?

Edited by mke

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mke

• thudthwacker

• Trom

• Lazarus Long

The 450's are my favourite Jinhao's. Some have a medium nib and others a broad nib. I like them very much.

The 599 and 992 I have have a fine nib, so Jinhao is offering more nibs these days.

I meant same nib design as those which are in the X750/X450 - F instead of M.

It would be nice to get F nibs in x450 and x750, as the nibs are big and pretty, compared to the F nibs on 992 and 599. I've seen x750 selling with fude nibs, but none with F nibs D:

I have recently obtained another X750 - the one with "chessboard" design.

That pen - better that nib is writing so smooth - on all sorts of papers. In addition it is on the lower end of the line widths my X750/X450 produce.

Among all my pens, including a very high-end Swiss pen, this is clearly the best.

And it was only 2.6 USD (@ 7th anniversary sales of Aliexpress). That really makes me think twice buying other expensive pens, despite having become a Parker addict recently.

If Jinhao would be just a little bit more clever and would offer some less broad nibs ...

Did nobody ever mention this to them?

You need to spend a lot more money to get a significantly better pen than the X750.

Nib choice is very personal, I would like some broad or double broad nibs, but I am happy with what Jinhao offer.

I bought my first Jinhao when Goulet did their BOGO sale, and even then it took some convincing. I bought a 159 with an X750 as the free one. Those two are now four. I bought a red X750 off of eBay and a blue one from Amazon. I replaced the medium nib on one of the X750s with a Goulet fine last week.

My return into the fountain pen lifestyle was triggered by an exchange, a tarot reading in exchange for a Jinhao 126, a converter, and a tonne of cartridges. I absolutely love this pen, even though I now have 7 pens in total. It's still my everyday writer, with my favourite ink in it, and it still lives clipped to my commonplace journal. It's heavy, and it's thin and the perfect size for my hands. I wish I could find a couple more just like this one.

I am the tarot reading, bookworm, whiskey drinking, witchcraft practicing, old fashioned writing, aunt Beasty in my family and I love it. Tarot readings for sale or trade, especially ink as I've lost all of my pen stuff from a bad burglary last year. And I need penpals! Anyone interested, please PM me!

I really like that my 750s feel expensive and are well weighted. They write well, and I use them for playing with new ink colors, but the nib really is too broad for my taste. For a cheap pen I like the nib on the Platinum Preppy fine better, and even the Pilot Varsity pens are finer. I always think of Asian nibs as finer than Western ones, so that Jinhao only sells medium nibs here is a bit surprising. I think these would be great to give someone who isn't sure if they want to write with a fountain pen.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

I have been impressed with the 750 and the 159. I like the 159 more, my one is a broad and its quite addictive to use. I'm getting another soon.

Very good bang for buck and also easy to maintain.

My favorite at this moment of all the Jinhao I have is the 159 and the 992. I am about to receive another couple of 159, one suppose to be with a fine nib. I'll have to wait and see. The 992 is so much fun and all the colors mean now I can start some mix and match and I must say the look really pop ( my favorite right now is my all clear demonstrator barrel converted to ED with the smoke clear section and the ivory cream cap .. the ladies in the office all want that ( until they realize how much hassle one having to to deal with when using an ED )

I am just not partial to any of the triangular grip , well those that sculpture quite a bit like the X450 or Lamy Safari, they just do now work out for me. The X750 is really a good one though I would have want them to give us option of all different nib grind, and on that if they could deliver a Acrylic or plastic version to give us a light weight variant I think it would benefit a lot. I have an old GLM 905 circa early 1990's and its basically the same shape / size as the X750 but its a screw capped plastic construction and it so much more comfortable to use when doing a longer period of writing. If you were looking for something akin to the X450/X750 but want a lightweight one so not to tired the wrist out I can whole heartily recommend that.

Edited by Mech-for-i

I've only had a few Jinhao pens -- a couple of 559s, an 886, and my recently-acquired 992. The 992 is, far and away, my favorite. The converter is worlds better than the ones that came with the others, and I had flow issues with the 559s and 886 that I haven't seen at all with the 992. (Sadly, I got rid of the 886 -- the nib was drying out every time I capped the pen overnight.)

I've got more 992s on the way, and I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up getting one of the popular 15-packs, so I can give them out to anyone and everyone who shows the slightest interest in trying out a fountain pen. My992 is among my favorite pens, from any maker, at any cost -- the converter works wonderfully, the nib is smooth, and the pen itself very comfortable to hold.

Yes, the 992 writes well, I have only one. But I also have some 559 which write very well.

A 15 pack? Tell me more please.

Edited by mke

Yes, the 992 writes well, I have only one. But I also have some 559 which write very well.

A 15 pack? Tell me more please.

If you search for "Jinhao 992" on Ye Bay, there are a number of vendors selling 15-packs for (generally) around $27. Or about $1.80 each.

I just got a Jinhao 250, F nib. It is looks like a decent pen, reasonably smooth gold plated stainless steel nib. It came with a converter cartridge, so I filled it up with my favorite ink (Diamine Sherwood Green).

After about 1 day, the pen quit starting - it appears to be clogged. I also have a Lamy Safari and a Pelikan M215, both of which will sit weeks with the same ink and start up fine.

I'm wondering if the cap isn't sealing as well as it should?

I would try a bottle of Waterman Florida Blue, except I just used it up and I haven't decided if I want to replace it.

I'm going to try an ink cartridge next, the package says 'Gullor'. I don't know anything about them, I've been using bottle ink for years.