The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Looking For Identification Of Wyvern Perfect

wyvern

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Midx

Midx

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2017 - 22:26

Hey all,

I recently won this Wyvern Perfect pen and am looking for more info on it. There is a very feint barrel imprint which just says "Wyvern Perfect" and underneath "Made in England". The thing that looks different from any pic online that I can find, is the way the clip joins the cap. Does anyone know a model number or anything for it? Also, how do I remove the clip for cleaning??

wyvern.jpg

wyvern_cap.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Chris.

Sponsored Content

#2 Cob

Cob

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 May 2017 - 15:47

I have a client - a Wyvern collector - for whom I have repaired/restored something like fiorty Wyverns.  I have not seen one like yours!

As for the fitting of the clip, it would be my guess that it would be necessary to remove the inner cap; there may be a small nit inside secoringt he clip screw.  if not then you would have to glue (or fix with double-sided tape) a small piece of rubber to the clip screw and rely on friction to unscrew it - a challenge at the best of times.  Since there appears to be no black hard rubber present it would be safe to soak the cap - probably for a couple of days before attempting removal.  Dry heat may also be necessary.

Best of luck

Cob.

Edited by Cob, 20 May 2017 - 15:48.

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

#3 Midx

Midx

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 May 2017 - 21:55

Thanks Cob, that's interesting. D'you think it might be something unusual?

I'll give the inside of the cap a good clean and see if there's any sign of any fixings. It doesn't look like it though...

Cheers,

Chris.

#4 northlodge

northlodge

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 May 2017 - 17:59

I looked in my parts box today and spotted a pen that looks very much like yours, but patterned. Remembering the post I looked at;

first the cap - There is a inner cap preventing access to the nut that is almost certainly there.

secondly the barrel stamp - it says "Wyvern Prefect"  (i.e. not quite the same)

#5 PaulS

PaulS

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 May 2017 - 19:18

Wyvern did make both the Prefect and Perfect f.ps. - or how to confuse people without really trying.                  

My black Perfect Pen includes the No. 81 on the Barrel imprint, and my Prefect is also black (unfortunately I don't have the cap), but lacks any numbering.          Both are l.f. pens, and the lever on the latter pen looks very similar to the ops  -  i.e. long and slender, so just possible my missing cap may well have been similar to the one posted here.                       My Perfect is noticeably chunkier than the Prefect.

I would agree that there will almost certainly be a hidden nut high up in the cap.

Edited by PaulS, 21 May 2017 - 19:19.

#6 Midx

Midx

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 May 2017 - 17:40

Thanks for your help guys! A Prefect rather than Perfect makes sense now - a Google search brings a couple of pics which look the same as mine!

:) 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wyvern

Sponsored Content

|