Blue-Greens

FordPrefect8

I wish J.H. EdC didn't use those microparticles than can clog the feed, that's a dealbreaker for me :(

If you don't shake the bottle, all the particles stay at the bottom. They actually sink to the bottom much faster than the previous Herbin glittery inks. My problem with the ink is that it's so saturated that it's a real devil to clean out of a pen. Absolutely love the color though!

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FordPrefect8

• chromantic

• GeekyGirl

• truthpil

I wish J.H. EdC didn't use those microparticles than can clog the feed, that's a dealbreaker for me :(

I agree, it'd be nice if they offered the inks without the glitter. And added a blue like bleu ocean next to Eclat de Saphir (which I love), so they'd have a more neutral strong blue and a lovely blurple.

I have used EdC (as suggested above) w/o the glitter, by not shaking the bottle. Though some tiny bits still come along, but it's not particularly noticeable unless you look for it.

I also must add that I haven't had any problems with EdC (w/ & w/o glitter). The glitter cleaned out quickly (by making a laxative of soapy water) and never dried out, even when not using the pen for about a week and maybe a tad longer.

Though I have also never had any of the problems I read about here with Diamine's Majestic Blue. No smudging, clogging etc. Maybe I'm lucky haha

PS I almost included Di's Majestic Blue here, because I have had it fade slightly to a teal colour on some papers. And it is to my eye a neutralish blue with a slight tinge into green. Although it clearly isn't exactly a blue/green aka teal, so I didn't, but now that I'm here and started to ramble...

Edited by Olya

Love ama iro and kon peki, the first one here fresh in a Muji F, the second one has been for a few days in an Ambition EF. Both with what to me is a true blue, tsuyu kusa, Sailor pro gear HM.

fpn_1497722235__img_20170617_125142.jpg

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Love ama iro and kon peki, the first one here fresh in a Muji F, the second one has been for a few days in an Ambition EF. Both with what to me is a true blue, tsuyu kusa, Sailor pro gear HM.

Wow, no wonder everyone is gaga about Kon-peki.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

I completely agree with you about this. I sold off all of my J. Herbin Anniversary inks two years ago because of this and have never looked back.

I have an idea for you. If you think Yama-Dori is a little too edgy for work purposes, consider Sailor Jentle Muruai. To me it's a blue-leaning green that isn't teal at all. –Yes, I realize this sounds like a bit of an oxymoronic statement. I almost see it as "money green," and it's one of my favorite inks. It's like the "blue black" of green inks, if that makes any sense to you.

I completely agree with you about this. I sold off all of my J. Herbin Anniversary inks two years ago because of this and have never looked back.

I have successfully filtered out the glitter from inks that I liked, if I didn't enjoy the sparkles. In essence, you can have your cake and eat it, too! Rouge Hématite and Emerald of Chivor are such amazingly wonderful inks that no one should have to give them up just because of the shimmer particles.

Take a clean, empty bottle (same size or larger), put two coffee filters in a funnel, and pour the ink through. After the ink has gone through, throw the filters away, and once again, put two filters in the funnel, and pour the ink back into the original bottle —after you've washed out any particles remaining in the bottle. After the second filtering, there may be a few random sparkly particles, but nothing to worry about. You'll also lose a small amount of ink from the filter paper absorbing it, but the de-sparkled ink will be worth it. Just a suggestion... ;)

Edited by HalloweenHJB

HalloweenHJB: Oh I get the filtering idea, and I thank you for your reply. I used to create inks for a US manufacturer, so I've done more filtering than I have a desire to do again. I just don't want any glittery particulate anywhere near my nibs and feeds, but I respect those that do.

I just chose to use the myriad other wonderful inks on the market. SJ Yama-Dori takes care of my need for a spectacular dark teal ink so I never felt compelled to buy JH Emerald of Chivor. MB Corn Poppy Red, while not exactly the same as Rouge Hematite, eclipsed my need to keep Rouge Hematite and MB Royal Blue is my choice re: Bleu Ocean.

Thanks again for your reply.

FordPrefect: This won't be an option for a business-appropriate blue-green ink, but I've recently re-discovered Sheaffer Skrip Green, which is more aqua green than green.

Edited by GeekyGirl

I have successfully filtered out the glitter from inks that I liked, if I didn't enjoy the sparkles. In essence, you can have your cake and eat it, too! Rouge Hématite and Emerald of Chivor are such amazingly wonderful inks that no one should have to give them up just because of the shimmer particles. [...]

Ouf! This sounds brutal to me but I'll try it out... I love Émeraude de Chivor - and Rouge hématite - and think that it would be a better ink without the glitter.

... consider Sailor Jentle Muruai. To me it's a blue-leaning green that isn't teal at all. It's like the "blue black" of green inks, if that makes any sense to you.

"The blue black of green inks" is a perfect description.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

HalloweenHJB: Oh I get the filtering idea, and I thank you for your reply. I used to create inks for a US manufacturer, so I've done more filtering than I have a desire to do again. I just don't want any glittery particulate anywhere near my nibs and feeds, but I respect those that do.

Understood. We all have our own individual approach to inks and pens, and respect for that is what makes us such a nice online group. :)

I have an idea for you. If you think Yama-Dori is a little too edgy for work purposes, consider Sailor Jentle Muruai. To me it's a blue-leaning green that isn't teal at all. –Yes, I realize this sounds like a bit of an oxymoronic statement. I almost see it as "money green," and it's one of my favorite inks. It's like the "blue black" of green inks, if that makes any sense to you.

Yama Dori is still OK for work, I even get some complements but any "funkier" would probably cross it :) It is actually my favourite ink to use at work, especially nice on cream/ivory paper.

For a short while now, I've been including Souten in my EDC - those two make striking power duo during meetings, especially if I have to quickly jot some diagrams or flowcharts.

Yama Dori lives in Twsbi Eco White and Souten occupies Kaweco Ice Sport Blue, both pens and inks put up a nice show :D

I have Actually considered Miruai but since I already own Lamy Petril Blue (which ofc resides in corresponding Lamy pen :lol:) and these two seem almost identical to my eyes and monitor, Sailor has stepped down the list of inks to buy immediately.

"It's like the "blue black" of green inks, if that makes any sense to you." - Yes, yes it is. Absolutely love this description!

Edited by FordPrefect

Understood. We all have our own individual approach to inks and pens, and respect for that is what makes us such a nice online group. :)

I think that is the key, I'm on a mission to find out as many of those individual approaches as possible! :lol:

FordPrefect: This won't be an option for a business-appropriate blue-green ink, but I've recently re-discovered Sheaffer Skrip Green, which is more aqua green than green.

I really like this colour although googled images seem to go either vivid green or blue-green similar to Yama Dori but more pale. You should check out Diamine Turquoise - has very satisfying juicy tone to it too.

I do a bit of highlighting at work as well - for that I have Platinum Preppy fountain pen marker with fluorescent green but I have been toying with the idea of getting Pilot Parallel and inhabit it with brighter inks like SSG :)

• 3 months later...

Rouge Hématite and Emerald of Chivor are such amazingly wonderful inks that no one should have to give them up just because of the shimmer particles.

Emerald of Chivor is undoubtedly one of the most gorgeous teal inks, all on its own. That color is enough to swim in.

Stormy Grey is also my favorite gray ink, shimmer or not, so I may get another bottle and filter out the particles like you recommended.