New Lamy Pen Model: The Lamy Aion

Astronymus

Can lucky European owners of the Aion post a picture of the pen with a Studio?

And a picture of the Steel version of the Aion?

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParkerDuofold

• KKay

• Calabria

• Astronymus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Unboxing the new Aion, freshly purchased in Wien retailer earlier today:

New cardboard box (at least for me, never got this)

post-6228-0-12791100-1502228648.jpg

Section exposed: it looks heavy since it is the only part not made in aluminium

post-6228-0-01450300-1502228689.jpg

Sunlight picture

post-6228-0-95028000-1502228728.jpg

Sorry for the somewhat bad iphone pics.

I would say is classical Lamy: simple form-follows-function no-fancy pen. Looking at the comments it is funny how the name they gave it is spelled the word "boredom" in italian backwards :)

Happy writing all

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

attachicon.gifimage1.JPG

attachicon.gifimage2.JPG

Sunlight picture

attachicon.gifimage3.JPG

I would say is classical Lamy: simple form-follows-function no-fancy pen. Looking at the comments it is funny how the name they gave it is spelled the word "boredom" in italian backwards :)

Happy writing all

It is a nice workhorse pen. A good EDC.

...Looking at the comments it is funny how the name they gave it is spelled the word "boredom" in italian backwards :)

Hi Diplomat, et al,

Not quite... boredom in Italian (as a noun) is "la noia,"...

...but it's close enough to get partial credit and is definitely in line with Lamy's austere (to be polite) design model. :lol:

Be well and enjoy life. :)

- Anthony

ETA: Thanks for posting those beautiful, detailed pics... you've made my decision a lot easier. :)

Edited by ParkerDuofold

attachicon.gifimage1.JPG

attachicon.gifimage2.JPG

Sunlight picture

attachicon.gifimage3.JPG

Happy writing all

Thank you for the very nice pictures of the Steel Aion!

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

I've seen it yesterday in a shop (both versions, black and silver). And I could not resist: I went back today and bought it. Black, F nib.

What a beautiful nib! The body looks bulk and heavy but is surprisingly light to hold. I was expecting something heavy like the Pelikan Pura, which is so similar. But no, this one is light and comfortable.

What I don't like is the clip, doesn't seem robust. For the rest I'm quite happy! Now I have to write longer with it, and see how it will work.

Chiara

I'm curious to see more pictures!

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Here some pictures for comparison. Lamy 2000, Lamy 80, Lamy Aion and Pelikan Pura. Capped, uncapped, posted.

Strangely, when uncapped is the Aion quite bigger as the others, but capped is similar.

post-19896-0-81761900-1502435452_thumb.jpg

post-19896-0-81277000-1502435497_thumb.jpg

post-19896-0-96247200-1502435427_thumb.jpg

After a day of writing I find the Aion lovely to hold and overall comfortable.

I noticed that the black color is easy to scratch though, so that it can be a good workhorse but to handle carefully.

Greetings,

Chiara

Edited to add content.

Edited by chravagni

Thank you for the pictures Chiara!

I wonder if someone could post a picture of the Aion with a Safari, Al Star or Studio?

Thanks for those comparisons.

I think I am going to like that Aion!

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I like the pictures of the Aion. Thank you for the comparisons! I really miss my Lamy 80 which broke in two...

Off the bat though I'm a bit disappointed in the Aion clip ... "massive Optik" notwithstanding, it looks hollow

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

I like the pictures of the Aion. Thank you for the comparisons! I really miss my Lamy 80 which broke in two...

Off the bat though I'm a bit disappointed in the Aion clip ... "massive Optik" notwithstanding, it looks hollow

Lamy 80 is a great pen with a wonderful nib (I have two, F and M, and love both). I hope you can find another!

You are right about the clip, it is definitely empty and feels too light for such a heavy pen, IMHO. The clips of 2000, 80 and even cp1 give more satisfaction. But the Aion finds nevertheless a way to be a very enjoyable pen.

Thanks all for the feedbacks.

Chiara

Dimension:

Weight:

barrel: 6g

section: 14g

cap: 12g

total: 32g

C.

Hmmm. That's kinda the limit, weight-wise, for what's comfortable for me (my heaviest pen is a TWSBI 580-AL). I'd have to see the balance on them, especially posted, before I make a final decision (I tried someone's 2000 a while back and it was too heavy a pen for me).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

This looks like a very attractive pen, at about the same price as the Studio. I'm going to have a look in a B&M store at my first opportunity.

I saw the pen

The nib is the same as Safari (in picture it looks different)

It is solid and well done, relatively heavy but very comfotable

It posts very bad (aluminium on aluminium, without any clutch or plastic band to soothen the posting, but the body is about 15mm longer the 2000, it needs not posting

Very good in hand, the diameter is well calculated

Cold in hand

It slips not between your fingers

The nib is the same as Safari (in picture it looks different)

No, it isn't. It's an individual design for the pen. But compatible to the Z50.

I wonder if someone could post a picture of the Aion with a Safari, Al Star or Studio?

post-6228-0-93206300-1503063764_thumb.jpg

BR,

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

Goulet has the Aion listed for pre-notification on their site, including lots of original product shots. Listed as "Coming in September".

Edited by ErrantSmudge

Goulet has the Aion listed for pre-notification on their site, including lots of original product shots. Listed as "Coming in September".

Hi there, ES, et al,

Thanks for the heads-up... although I'm a little disappointed with the price... at the Lamy store in Germany, these were selling for around $55. Here, they are about the price of a Studio... might as well stick with the Studio... if you don't mind it's grip section. Otherwise, I guess the Aion may be a viable alternative for you. :)

Here's a link:

https://www.gouletpens.com/search?query=Lamy+Aion&facetValueFilter=

Be well all and enjoy life. :)

- Anthony