Top Posters In This Topic

• ParkerDuofold

• KKay

• Calabria

• Astronymus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I know I'm gonna get lynched for this, but, I've always found the look of the Lamy 2000 a bit meh. I guess it's because I'm not so into hooded nibs, but I prefer its cap and clip over the Studio.

The Studio's shape, I like. But the clip. The CLIP. *shudders* I get that from a design perspective, it looks nice. But I find that it juts out too much and ruins the streamlined look of the pen.

I guess this pen is their baby. I might be keen on adopting this one...too bad I'm in the Philippines and it'll probably take forever to be released here (I'm looking at you Petrol).

I apologize in advance if I missed this detail somewhere in the thread, but what exactly is the grip made of?

The body is aluminum... but is the grip rubber, or aluminum with a different finish?

Christof: since you seem to be the only person to have one in your hand already, could you let us know the unposted length.

D.

The body is aluminum... but is the grip rubber, or aluminum with a different finish?

Christof: since you seem to be the only person to have one in your hand already, could you let us know the unposted length.

unposted (capped) length: 143mm

posted lenght: 162mm

length without cap (from nib tip to barrel end): 138mm

The section is made of sand blasted, anodized aluminum.

c.

Thanks so much Christof!

I'm glad to hear that the section is aluminum. I cannot wait to get my hands on one of these.

D.

It's very interesting. Looks a bit bulky.

Christof, can you kindly report how much it weights with and without the cap?

I generally don't like heavy pens.

Thanks!

Bureau Direct in the UK have posted a video showing production of the new nibs - and they are definitely new. Apparently, they will be available in EF, F, M, B in either steel or black, but no mention of italic options. Whether the Aion well also take the Z50 isn't clear to me. Go to www.bureaudirect.co.uk

I had an immediate negative reaction to the 2K when I handled one in person at a pen show. Just capping/uncapping it was enough to turn me off.

And at the same show, I came across a used Persona, a model I was unfamiliar with at the time but is very appealing. It had a cosmetically defective cap and was on sale for $175. I passed on it and now I regret it.

Hi Errant, et al,

I probably would have given this pen a spin myself... except, from the photos, I'm not too sure I'd like the section and more to the point... it's not readily available here in The States.

- Anthony

...I know I'm gonna get lynched for this, but, I've always found the look of the Lamy 2000 a bit meh...

Hi Hinky,

:W2FPN:

Not too many people here sing the praises of the L2K more than I do, but as a pure-blooded Italian, I'll be first to admit, the L2K looks soulless and dead... and to call its styling "bland," is being polite.

But that is the very nature of the Bauhaus Discipline... to strip every facet of baroque beauty from something and strip it down to it's purest, most practical form... i.e., form follows function to the ninth degree.

But in its perceived visual ugliness hides an inherent beauty... a pen that is perfectly balanced, feels perfectly conformed to the hand, (at least for most people, a few say not), and writes colored strands of silk on clouds... and that is why it has been my EDC for over a year.

Even now, while I'm at home and out of a suit and just relaxing for a change, it's clipped in the pocket of my polo shirt. For me, it covers all the bases... work, play, rest... it's usually always clipped to me... I think the only time I'm not wearing this pen is when I'm playing tennis; in the shower or in bed sleeping. Sometimes I think my girlfriend is jealous of it. :rolleyes:

In fact, one of my very few gripes with the pen is the clip loses tension with age and use and if you're being active, the pen will start working its way out of your shirt pocket... I've caught it trying to escape on several occasions... so you have to watch for that as the spring clip gets "softer" from use. I've even considered sending it in for a tighter spring. :unsure:

At any rate, be well and enjoy life. :)

Again, welcome... and as my father used to tell me all the time... "Don't spend all your money in one place." ;) There's a life's lesson in that... when you figure it out, please lmk. :huh:

:D

- Anthony

EDITED to remove superfluous text and for clarity... I hope. :)

Edited by ParkerDuofold

I must be weird, I think Lamy 2000 is easily one of the best looking pens ever made, if not the best. And at the same time I find vast majority of fountain pens absolutely hideous, especially those more "special" ones :lol:

I know, we're all different and that's a good thing. I was just thinking "out loud"... :)

I must be weird, I think Lamy 2000 is easily one of the best looking pens ever made, if not the best. And at the same time I find vast majority of fountain pens absolutely hideous, especially those more "special" ones :lol:

I know, we're all different and that's a good thing. I was just thinking "out loud"... :)

:)

Hi Almu,

It is beautiful in its simplicity, but depending on from what culture and mindset you're approaching it from... it's beauty may be an acquired taste. :) For me, it was definitely the latter.

Now, the Lamy Studio's looks, for me, was love at first sight; whereas, the Safari... I still think it's ugly, but I use 'em everyday. :D

- Anthony

:)

Hi Almu,

It is beautiful in its simplicity, but depending on from what culture and mindset you're approaching it from... it's beauty may be an acquired taste. :) For me, it was definitely the latter.

Now, the Lamy Studio's looks, for me, was love at first sight; whereas, the Safari... I still think it's ugly, but I use 'em everyday. :D

Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder. With the 2000, I like the minimalist design lines but not the choice of materials and build. The texture of the Makrolon barrel does not appeal to me. But it was the cap - which has a distinct metallic feel on capping/uncapping - which really turned me off on this pen.

And with the Studio, I just can't get past. That. Clip.

The Aion is interesting to me because it seems to have what I like about the 2000 and Studio designs, but not the things I dislike. I'll wait until I can get a better look (maybe at the San Francisco Pen Show next month?) before I commit to buying.

And, I really like the look of the Safari. It never gets old to me.

Edited by ErrantSmudge

Whether the Aion well also take the Z50 isn't clear to me. Go to www.bureaudirect.co.uk

To repeat myself: It does.

...The Aion is interesting to me because it seems to have what I like about the 2000 and Studio designs, but not the things I dislike. I'll wait until I can get a better look (maybe at the San Francisco Pen Show next month?) before I commit to buying...

Hi Errant,

If you do get a chance to try out the Aion at the pen show, please let us know what you think of it and see if you can find out if it will be made available here.

You would think if they have it at a U.S. pen show, it would mean it'll be available here, but with those squirrels at Lamy; you never can tell. :D

Thanks much. One of these days, I've got to make it to a pen show.

- Anthony

If you do get a chance to try out the Aion at the pen show, please let us know what you think of it and see if you can find out if it will be made available here.

You would think if they have it at a U.S. pen show, it would mean it'll be available here, but with those squirrels at Lamy; you never can tell. :D

Will do. I haven't heard any of the US retailers mention this pen; that's a bit disconcerting.

I'm hoping it would not just appear at the Lamy booth; at the LA Pen Show this February I got my first look at then brand-new Pacific Al-Star at the Anderson Pens booth. So I'm hoping to see it from a dealer.