• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParkerDuofold

• KKay

• Calabria

• Astronymus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, now we know it is not a piston-filler.

We also know it is not a platinum-plated gold nib like the L2K.

Its cool that you can get the barrel, cap or even the clip engraved for a ten-spot extra. An engraved clip would make a nice aesthetic, IMHO.

- Anthony

49 MSRP is less than I expected for this pen.

Yeah. $55 is considerably less than the L2K and even the Studio... this is like a CP-2. ;)

- Anthony

Yeah. $55 is considerably less than the L2K and even the Studio... this is like a CP-2. ;)

- Anthony

PS: Maybe that's what the Aion is; a more ergonomic replacement for the CP-1? Let's see if U.S. dealers start carrying them or if we have to go through the Lamy Shop.

NOTE: Excuse me, folks; this was supposed to be an edit to the previous post, not a new one... not sure what happened. :huh:

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Nah I hope they don't ditch the CP-1

Hi Sciumbasci,

I hope not, for your sake; I know the CP-1 is a popular model in some circles. :)

- Anthony

The website says it's made of a single piece of molded aluminum, and given an optically contrasting brushed/sandblasted surface. The clip "looks" massive. I guess that means it's not solid like the Cp1 or 2000. I wonder how you insert the ink cartridge.

It also says that the new nib design is made for "expressive" writing. The price puts it in the AlStar league. So, while it's not a Profil (I had that pen, it was fantastic- until it broke apart), I think this pen offers enough interest to consider getting one.

I like the fact that Lamy paid a famous designer to make a truly affordable pen - the HfG Ulm (Gerd Muller) mission was to bring good design to everybody - so I'm super disappointed when designers like Mark Newson produce (ugly and impractical) aspirational objects for Montblanc. I guess Lamy has the deep pockets to pay Jasper Morrison to design a utilitarian object, and count on volume to make the money back. Way to go.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

It's not molded. It's deep drawn.

yes, I read that and mistranslated it not knowing what "deep drawn" means. Can you explain?

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

If only they would release an OBB nib to complement it ...

Cheers,

David.

+1

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Dreep drawn means it is formed by high pressure without heat.

"On the internet nobody knows you're a cat." =^.^=

yes, I read that and mistranslated it not knowing what "deep drawn" means. Can you explain?

Omg, I'll try...

Molding means the metal was poured into a matrix in a liquid or soft form. There is hardens and it released by opening the matrix.

Deep drawing is performed with metal sheets that are pressed into form by force. Like a car door for example.

Interesting. That's how my steel water bottle is made I guess. I'd like to see a video of how the Aion is made.

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Price will play a big part. I have a safari, al-star, 2000, and am waiting on my CP-1 and will be getting a studio on friday. Apart from the 2000 and safari petrol, I have not paid full asking price for any of them (the al-star was $28 on goulet, the CP-1 was $40, the studio is only $57)

I personally dislike the shape of the nib, it looks tiny, and not in the good way like a hooded nib has, it doesn't look like it was meant to be there.

If it's under $70 with a steel nib, I may bite.

I guess it's for sale for $54 in europe. That's not bad. I guess I'll pick one up when they come state-side, because their retail website refuses to ship outside of germany, austria, and switzerland. I still think the studio has a more cohesive design.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

The nib is bigger than Safari's

http://piastrinemilitari.altervista.org/image.jpg

image taken from pen-exchange.de, author 20 100

Edited by sciumbasci

I guess the Badger means in relation to the grip.

Yet the pictures in the recent Lamy Shop Newsletter show it a bit more balanced. And I understand the new nib design now. It seems to follow the same virtual line like the roller ball tip to complete the curves of the pen.

Edited by Astron